Preview Round 10 v Richmond, 7.50pm Friday 21st of May @ The Gabba.

Who wins and by how much?

• Lions by 1 to12.

• Lions by 13 to 29.

• Lions by 30+

• Tigers by 1 to 12.

• Tigers by 13 to 29.

• Tigers by 30+

• Draw.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
All clubs need depth. Including ours. I'm sure the club would try and sign Matho, but I don't think he would stay considering he could get a senior spot elsewhere. Remember, we tried to sign hinge (who was even further back in the pecking order than Matho) but he turned it down for more senior opportunities at Adelaide.

I don’t think he’ll get picked up. If he does all the good luck to him. Time will tell I guess.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Matho would get picked up by a few clubs like Keays and Walker did. Or Martin/Witho traded out last year for high round picks.
Hinge as well picked up just bad luck again.

As others said with a run of games could build.
I think he close to the ceiling not going to take Lyons, Neale or M Robbo's spot
Where Prior or Robertson ceiling is we are still not sure.
He seems well loved by the boys at the club.
What happens end of the year probably depend on list spots and if he wants to stay
We do need depth with experience. All we have not injured in the 2nd's are Cockatoo and CEY.
up until this year we had a good run with injuries.

Yeah, the notion that mathieson isn't AFL standard is laughable. Mitch Robbo wasn't considered AFL standard by carlton. The same for Lester. Look how they improved. Lyons wasn't considered AFL standard by two clubs and now he's one of our finest players. Likewise, If Lyons hadn't been drafted by the club, matho would have been playing his role right now. Matho is a good player that's been held back by better players, that's all. We also shouldn't just trade out all of our depth. Imagine if we had Witherden, who would have been a perfect replacement for gardener or lester. Or Keays, who could have slotted into our midfield. If we trade out everyone who isn't in our best 22, then we will never win a premiership. Right now: prior, robertson and tom berry are all unknowns, but they're also not as good as matho is right now. Should we delist them as well? I think it's important to remember that we need depth and keeping matho is just as important as keeping neale because squads wins premierships (like fagan said). Not just our best 22.

Mitch Robbo wasn't considered AFL standard by carlton.
Not true. He played 100 games for Carlton and got delisted for off-field reasons.
The same for Lester.
Not true either - he's played for one club his whole career and never been delisted. Fan opinion is not club opinion.

Lyons wasn't considered AFL standard by two clubs
Adelaide had offered him a contract to retain him, Gold Coast just offered him a bigger one.

Imagine if we had Witherden, who would have been a perfect replacement for gardener or lester.
What?
If we trade out everyone who isn't in our best 22, then we will never win a premiership.
It's very hard to keep players not in your best 22 when they can get a game every week and a correspondingly bigger pay packet somewhere else. We can't magically force players to stay.

Disappointed Richmond have so many injuries, You just know no matter how well we play the media is just gonna talk about their outs. Also think we would have beat them even if they had a full side and we had all our outs as well.

Not true. He played 100 games for Carlton and got delisted for off-field reasons.

You mean in 2014 when he only appeared in half of Carlton's games and wasn't considered in their best squad anymore?

Not true either - he's played for one club his whole career and never been delisted. Fan opinion is not club opinion.

You mean like what people are saying about Mathieson right now?
Adelaide had offered him a contract to retain him, Gold Coast just offered him a bigger one.
You conveniently left out the fact that he was delisted by Gold Coast
Gardiner and Lester are injured. Witherden could have been a depth replacement for them. I'm not sure how that was confusing?

It's very hard to keep players not in your best 22 when they can get a game every week and a correspondingly bigger pay packet somewhere else. We can't magically force players to stay.
But I said this? I said I don't think Mathieson will stay because he could walk into another best 22. But it doesn't mean the club shouldn't try.

We're understandably favourite at this stage. With their missing midfield and playing at home we should win.

But losing our two medium defenders in one go is tough. We should match the two talls ok (McStay can swing back as cover if desperate mid game). Madden makes sense as one in but I have no idea on the other move

Gardiner and Lester out is pretty massive IMO. Structurally very important. However in saying that I am not sure about bringing in Ballenden. I think Madden would be a good in and the talk would be about team defense and not just the back six. Will be close but I think our midfield should be the difference in this one. They’re not a very good contested team and we just have to be smart about our forward fifty entries and try to lock it in there. Will be a four quarter performance IMO to get the win. Go Lions!

Gardiner and Lester out is pretty massive IMO. Structurally very important. However in saying that I am not sure about bringing in Ballenden. I think Madden would be a good in and the talk would be about team and not just the back six. Will be close but I think our midfield should be the difference in this one. They’re not a very good contested team and we just have to be smart about our forward fixity entries and try to lock it in there. Will be a four quarter performance IMO to get the win. Go Lions!
Fagan slated Answerth to play in the VFL next week. Will be interesting to see if he puts him in the senior squad instead considering we lost 2 backmen.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think most people are forgetting the pressure acts that Matho is involved in. Stat wise, he was also more effective than prior and Robertson. I don't see how you could possibly drop him when his stat sheets were better than a lot of our other players. this was also his best game since returning. You don't just drop a player whose improving and had a better game than others.

Like I said, we're winning with the team that we have and he is there until Neale comes back. So let him have his chance untill Neale is ready.

On another note: this reminds me of the Ben Keays situation. Ben (like Matho) are good players, but were not given enough chance at senior level on a constant basis to show it. Matho has been dominating in the lower leagues and needs time to adapt to first grade football. His return game he was serviceable, as was his second game, but last night he was starting to find his footig. He has at least 4-5 weeks to prove himself, so let's see if he can keep this gradual rise up.

Didn't check this week's game, but the week before matho's stats were very close to Robbo, including clangers. Which iirc were less than clugga , though clugga had more possessions. I wouldn't be surprised matho and Robbo has similar pressure acts as well.

We all seem to agree that there is a need for Robbo and his just get the ball out of congestion and moving forward kicks, which often become his clangers.

Matho plays a very similar game to Robbo, who is on the back side of his career. I think matho will be kept in seniors for a while yet to see if he is capable of being Robbos replacement. If the coaches don't see it, then I hope he gets a Keays deal.

Note Robbo to retire in three years when he knocks back a contract to move into player management. 😁😁

Didn't check this week's game, but the week before matho's stats were very close to Robbo, including clangers. Which iirc were less than clugga , though clugga had more possessions. I wouldn't be surprised matho and Robbo has similar pressure acts as well.

We all seem to agree that there is a need for Robbo and his just get the ball out of congestion and moving forward kicks, which often become his clangers.

Matho plays a very similar game to Robbo, who is on the back side of his career. I think matho will be kept in seniors for a while yet to see if he is capable of being Robbos replacement. If the coaches don't see it, then I hope he gets a Keays deal.

Note Robbo to retire in three years when he knocks back a contract to move into player management. 😁😁
I think Matho's third game was a sign of encouragement. I'm sure even he knew how important this opportunity was for him and likely let it went to his head. If he cleans up his mistakes and adds more composure to his game, he could geninally be one of our better players until he's inevitably replaced by Neale.

Did anyone else hear the commentators tonight saying Gardiner is having surgery this week? When they were talking about the goal umpire dusty took out.
Yeah, John Ralph said he will be going in for shoulder surgery. Not sure how long that rules him out for though?

Yeah, John Ralph said he will be going in for shoulder surgery. Not sure how long that rules him out for though?

Shoulders are the hardest joint in the body to fix when they break. Too many planes of movement. They might not even know until after they've gone in and had a look around. Not good though.

Probably won't happen with our injuries, but after Thursday and yesterday I would drop Matho for Joyce, Matho is just not an AFL footballer good enough to play in a premiership team. Gives away stupid kicks, and his disposal is no where good enough.

I think once Joyce gets more match fitness he will get his chance

Disappointed Richmond have so many injuries, You just know no matter how well we play the media is just gonna talk about their outs. Also think we would have beat them even if they had a full side and we had all our outs as well.

Probably cancel each other out - Neale,Rayner,Berry,Gardiner & Lester are some impressive outs for us

You conveniently left out the fact that he was delisted by Gold Coast

If you'd only said GC, there'd be no need to point out the inaccuracy. You said Adelaide had decided the same too.

Gardiner and Lester are injured. Witherden could have been a depth replacement for them. I'm not sure how that was confusing?

That's like arguing we could have brought in Archie as a depth replacement for Neale. Sure, both play in the same area of the field but they have fundamentally different roles. Witherden is not going to shut down a medium to tall key position player like Gardiner and Lester do.

But I said this? I said I don't think Mathieson will stay because he could walk into another best 22. But it doesn't mean the club shouldn't try.
You said if we trade everyone who's not in our best 22 we can't win a premiership. I pointed out the difficulty in actually retaining said players - I'm curious as to how you propose we retain those players outside our best 22 then?

You said if we trade everyone who's not in our best 22 we can't win a premiership. I pointed out the difficulty in actually retaining said players - I'm curious as to how you propose we retain those players outside our best 22 then?

Prisons

Payne was listed as 1-2 weeks away last week as was Archie who played reserves last week.

Hopefully then Payne isn’t to far away (if not this week) with Dizz looking like he’ll be out long term.

Did anyone else hear the commentators tonight saying Gardiner is having surgery this week? When they were talking about the goal umpire dusty took out.
We were at Metricon on Saturday and in our little group of 4 one is a Physiotherapist and she said as soon as it appeared to be a dislocated shoulder recurrence that surgery would be the usual go to option in that case, she did explain why but it's now left my feeble aged brain.

You would think Jack Payne when back would be the logical change if the coaches want to go for a reasonable like for like replacement, Payne has the strength, agility and pace to go with most types like Darcy, otherwise depending on match ups we could go with any of Madden, Answerth, Ah Chee, B.Smith or Prior as Darcy and/or Lester replacements.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back