Preview Round 10 v Richmond, 7.50pm Friday 21st of May @ The Gabba.

Who wins and by how much?

• Lions by 1 to12.

• Lions by 13 to 29.

• Lions by 30+

• Tigers by 1 to 12.

• Tigers by 13 to 29.

• Tigers by 30+

• Draw.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mathieson has never “constantly” been in our best 22.

He’s a good bloke, but he’s not genuinely a best 22 player for a genuine top 4 team.

He constantly looks for free kicks, ducking his head and throwing his head back, his disposal by foot is poor, and for an inside mid, he can hover just outside the contest a lot, hoping the ball comes to him, or ball watching.

I was a big Matho fan during his draft year, and not a Matho hater. He is he is at this stage in his career.

With players like Robertson and Prior, you can see the ceiling is much higher than Matho’s, and should be persisted with.
Matho seems to be doing very little of the bolded since coming back into the side, in fact can't say I can recall any that were his typical blatant over exaggeration... as always I could have missed them and could be wrrr wrr wrroo wrong.

On the rest I agree with you, unfortunately for him he wont be in the side when Neale comes back in and I wouldn't be surprised if before then the match committee omit him and opt for CEY(wouldn't be my choice) or Tom Joyce, not this Friday night though, in the next 2 before the bye is my tip.

O

They are loaded in defence, two or three flags each:
Grimes to Charlie, that’s a lock.
Intercept expert Vlaustin on Joe, when Joe’s in the f50..?
Astbury to lock down Hipwood…
Short on Linc, except Short is their distributor so maybe it’s the other way around.
Balta to McStay..? Maybe Vlaustin goes to McStay and Balta runs with Joe.
That leaves Broad and Houli to go with Ah Chee and maybe Bailey I guess (it’s all a guess apart from the Grimes part). I feel like I’m forgetting someone.

Baker’s the other one, plays all over the place, 33 touches against Giants.

Thoughts?
They need Baker in the guts with their injuries. We did a number on the defence in the finals and will do it again especially with the introduction of Joe.

When?

He played down back at the U18 Championships, mostly because Vic C had no one to defend Rankine, or other fast small forwards.

He was injured at the time, played poorly (to put it politely), and went for surgery straight after the U18 Championships.
Well you'd know better than me because I only saw him a couple of times but I seem to remember Conole saying he'd played well as a small defender and that his defensive spoiling was a big part of his game. So obviously that was when was in the M/F.

So now that he's healthy and has played a game, are you predicting he'll be in the side this week at Matho's expense?

I would like to see Tom Joyce get an opportunity, just not this week. Richmond is a bad opponent to debut youngsters against if you can help it.
Also think I'd want him to have at least another game before going to the firsts. He played well but it was his first game for a little while. Want to make sure he is properly fit

Matho does still play for free kicks, although i feel like his reputation has always been bigger than what it is. He gets the high free kicks, but he is at that awkward height and he does do the dirty work getting in and under. He gets to the ball first and puts it on the opposition not to coat hanger him. I still feel like someone like Selwood ducks more than Matho does. If anything, Matho probably misses a few because of his reputation. I would like to see him playing to the whistle a bit more though, he does kinda stop on the ground, or throw the arms out a bit much, but most players do TBH. This is more an issue with the umpiring and how much BS they let go rather than the players actions i feel. Players pretty much have to play it up and emphasis free kicks because so much gets missed.

So now that he's healthy and has played a game, are you predicting he'll be in the side this week at Matho's expense?

I would like to see Tom Joyce get an opportunity, just not this week. Richmond is a bad opponent to debut youngsters against if you can help it.

The club is also clear on this as well. Fagan said as much when referring to Berry, when available he’ll have a couple of weeks in the VFL before returning. Km’s in the legs. I would imagine the same will be the case for CEY, that is no he wouldn’t come back in after one game in the ressies.

That said, the reality if not for being injured history would suggest CEY would have been selected to replace Neal before Matheison.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

On CEY. Having watched the VFL game, and after forever categorising him as an immobile, slowish log, one game completely changed my mind.

Lesson to me- never completely set in stone one's mindset.

CEY will never be a huge pace-setting runner type. But as the great Leigh succinctly put it- gets the pill. Hard under, not afraid to lay on the physical, excellent hands. Dishes off the hard ball get efficiently.

I was most impressed. Very good performance in a very good side. A standout.

Might be just what we need in the absence of our Brownlow winner.

On CEY. Having watched the VFL game, and after forever categorising him as an immobile, slowish log, one game completely changed my mind.

CEY will never be a huge pace-setting runner type. But as the great Leigh succinctly put it- gets the pill. Hard under, not afraid to lay on the physical, excellent hands. Dishes off the hard ball get efficiently.

CEY doesn't run both ways. I caught numerous times of him jogging behind a Suns player running into our defensive 50 in the VFL game. There is a reason why Fagan tried him up forward, because he's constantly exposed in the midfield. I know he's decent with the ball and he uses his body well, but that means very little when players can literally run rings around him.

CEY doesn't run both ways. I caught numerous times of him jogging behind a Suns player running into our defensive 50 in the VFL game. There is a reason why Fagan tried him up forward, because he's constantly exposed in the midfield. I know he's decent with the ball and he uses his body well, but that means very little when players can literally run rings around him.
Spot on, all teams use zone/team based defensive structures these days and if 1 or 2 blokes don't perform their role they whole thing can fall apart.

If it comes down to Matho and CEY?
I take Matho every day of the week.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just looking at a bit of recent game history v Tigers
Round 23 in 2019 Ric 82 defeated Lions 55 but L Neale had one hell of a game
51 disposals (45 effective & 88% efficiency) 14 clearances 6 tackles & 6 marks
Sometimes having an outstanding player on the day still does not guarantee a win or close game
Now to the game we actually won the QF Lions 69 Tigers 54.
In's & outs for that game based on last weeks named sides. May have missed someone
Lions
Out: Neale, J Berry, S Martin, Lester, Gardiner, Rayner. Coleman played in QF so ??
IN : Joe Daniher, Adams, then the less experienced Mathieson, Prior, D Robertson
Tigers
Out : Bolton, Lambert, then possibly Cotchin, Edwards, & Prestia know more when AFL injury list comes out today
In : Tom Lynch, then the less experienced CollierDawkins, Mansell, Ralphsmith, Naish,

Along the lines of what a lot of posters suggested

brisbane.jpg

Some big decision to make for the Lions ahead of Friday night's blockbuster with Richmond at the Gabba. Injuries to defenders Darcy Gardiner and Ryan Lester will force a reshuffle in the backline. James Madden showed in his recent debut he was capable of defending speedy small forwards – ideal against the Tigers. Callum Ah Chee could be moved to defence, allowing either Keidean Coleman or Tom Berry to come in as a pressure small forward. Connor Ballenden would also be an option if the Lions want another tall defender.

R9 medical sub: Keidean Coleman (replaced Lester)

Verdict: Coleman and Madden for Gardiner and Lester – Michael Whiting

Along the lines of what a lot of posters suggested

brisbane.jpg

Some big decision to make for the Lions ahead of Friday night's blockbuster with Richmond at the Gabba. Injuries to defenders Darcy Gardiner and Ryan Lester will force a reshuffle in the backline. James Madden showed in his recent debut he was capable of defending speedy small forwards – ideal against the Tigers. Callum Ah Chee could be moved to defence, allowing either Keidean Coleman or Tom Berry to come in as a pressure small forward. Connor Ballenden would also be an option if the Lions want another tall defender.

R9 medical sub: Keidean Coleman (replaced Lester)

Verdict: Coleman and Madden for Gardiner and Lester – Michael Whiting

I don't like Ah chee down back. He's a much better player up the ground, unfortunately, we might now have a choice here. Sucks really, because Ah Chee has finally found some form.

Just looking at a bit of recent game history v Tigers
Round 23 in 2019 Ric 82 defeated Lions 55 but L Neale had one hell of a game
51 disposals (45 effective & 88% efficiency) 14 clearances 6 tackles & 6 marks
Sometimes having an outstanding player on the day still does not guarantee a win or close game...
Now to the game we actually won the QF Lions 69 Tigers 54.
In's & outs for that game based on last weeks named sides. May have missed someone
Lions
Out: Neale, J Berry, S Martin, Lester, Gardiner, Rayner. Coleman played in QF so ??
IN : Joe Daniher, Adams, then the less experienced Mathieson, Prior, D Robertson
Tigers
Out : Bolton, Lambert, then possibly Cotchin, Edwards, & Prestia know more when AFL injury list comes out today
In : Tom Lynch, then the less experienced CollierDawkins, Mansell, Ralphsmith, Naish,

Richmond have already updated. Cotchin edwards and Prestia all to miss on top of what you’ve said will miss.

The biggest difference Ah Chee has made up forward is the defensive pressure he applies. If we were to move him back into defense, I wonder if we'd favour a more "like for like" replacement such as Berry who brings a similar kind of defensive pressure in our forward line.

I don't like Ah chee down back. He's a much better player up the ground, unfortunately, we might now have a choice here. Sucks really, because Ah Chee has finally found some form.
The problem is we just lost 279 games experience in defense
Ah Chee has played 71 games and will fit into the back team defense structure the best at this stage.
The other spot is up for grabs most likely a fairly inexperienced player. Ballenden (3 games), Madden (1), B Smith (0), Michael (0).

Reports indicate these 3 players will be given more time : Cockatoo, Answerth, Payne
If the decide they need a bit of size and experience you would have to play someone out of position
That is unlikely and the only ones I can think of are CEY & Mathieson

Yeah Ah Chee is a much better small forward,it's his natural game,hopefully it won't come to that.
AhChee has become a bit of a Mr Fix It.
If required, as I suspect he will be, he will play back and play his role well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back