Preview Round 10 v Richmond, 7.50pm Friday 21st of May @ The Gabba.

Who wins and by how much?

• Lions by 1 to12.

• Lions by 13 to 29.

• Lions by 30+

• Tigers by 1 to 12.

• Tigers by 13 to 29.

• Tigers by 30+

• Draw.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
1621112548751.png

Last time we met- This was our biggest win since our 2001- 2004 GF run, lets relive that fantastic night at the Gabba >

Outs and unavailable due to injury from the qualifying final teams >

Lions-
Darcy Gardiner, Ryan Lester, Jarrod Berry, Cam Rayner, Lachie Neale.
Tigers- Shai Bolton, Trent Cotchin, Shane Edwards, Kane Lambert, Dion Prestia.

All 5 of the Tigers outs are key pieces in their midfield, Lachie out is a big blow but the others you would think we could cover to a satisfactory level.

Recent form line >

Lions-
W 93-44 v Port, W 95-71 v Dockers, W 124-51 v Suns.
Tigers- W 77-55 v Bulldogs, L 63-126 v Cats, W 87-83 v Giants.

Fair to say that our form has been exceptional lately and all 3 games have really never been in doubt one of which was against a supposed fellow contender in Port Adelaide, the Tigers have had one very good win v the Dogs a belting by the Cats and and for what for most of the night was looking an unlikely victory v the Giants.

How they like to play >

Lions-
We like to move the ball around with foot skills and go via the corridor if the opportunity presents itself but are not averse to going long to a contest, we put a high emphasis on winning the footy at the coal face, when we lose we more often than not have been soundly beaten in the centre square. We like the ball in the hands of Rich, Birchall and McCluggage in space and we try to get Charlie with space in front of him on the lead or over the top and out the back with both scenarios being almost unstoppable for the opposition.

Tigers- The Tigers are the ultimate system based team, they like to surge the ball forward at all times and are deadly on turnovers with pace, overlap run and handball. In defence they have a group of great intercept markers so they create pressure around the contest hoping for indiscriminate kicks forward. They also have one of the best big game/moment players in the history of the game and Dusty is deadly in short bursts in the midfield and one out in the F50.

Preview/how do we beat them? >

The Tigers have been far and away the best side in the competition over the last 4 years, everyone knows how they like to play but it is a bloody difficult task trying to stop it. However we do have form on the big stage ie QF 2020 and have shown that we can do it if we are on.

For me the key to victory in any AFL game is not that complicated if 2 teams are relatively evenly matched as is the case with this game IMO, intensity, pressure and an unrelenting desire for the contest is what is needed, in other words want it more than them.

1- We must not if at all possible go long to out numbered contests in our F50, be patient if we need to be, no hack kicks forward albeit that can be unavoidable at times in tight.
2- When I would like us to go forward quickly and what would appear indiscriminate is from centre bounces, we have a potent forward group and the worst case scenario from that situation is a 1 v 1 contest, don't stuff around with the ball via hand if under pressure.
3- We don't want Charlie trying to out body opponents(likely Grimes goes to him again), out in space no one can go with Charlie.
4- Limit turnovers to a bare minimum and get the ball in the hands of our calm ball users eg. McCluggage, Lyons, McCarthy, Birchall, Rich.
Doh!- Take our chances when they present themselves, no gimme set shot misses please.

Match ups- It's as always a group effort however Harris to Lynch, Adams to Riewoldt and Starcevich to Dusty when forward would be the way I'd go. If the personnel on the ground at the time allow it Adams may take Dusty forward, no hard tag on him in the midfield just everyone be keenly aware of his presence.

Changes from last round- Lester and Gardiner will be out, as with all of Fagan and co's match committee decisions there will be minimal changes so I expect the sub from last night K.Coleman to keep his spot and I think they'll go with Madden to add a dash of pace to combat the fast moving Tigers game style.

Prediction- Taking into account the Tigers outs we should be winning this game if we come with the intensity required, Lions by 15.

A bit of self indulgence and just because I want to put these up and view them again >

What I want to see besides a win- Clugga do the above to Lynch and Riewoldt and Harris give a giant don't argue to Dusty.

Don't forget to vote in the poll.

Last edited:
they got out of jail last night, am looking forward to Friday night and given the expected lineups will be very disappointed if we don't win comfortably!

Great preview Jason mp of what lies ahead on Friday night
I do hope Prestia misses this game as he has been very good over the last few years
I say give him one more week to recover. He was listed as 1-2 weeks on Tuesday
We play the Tigers away later in the year so we must win this one at home. Both teams not fielding their best 22.

Our next 3 games: Tigers & GWS at home then Demons away before the bye. All hard games that could go either way
If we can win 2 of the next 3 before the bye that puts us in a good position.
We must win at least 1 of these three so lets make that the Tigers.
That should releases a bit of pressure for the following weeks game v GWS

Great Preview Jason mp !

Finally we are entering a Richmond game without needing to talk about losing streak ! so excited for this one.

No one ever beats The Brisbane Lions 16 consecutive times ! :p

Maybe it's the years of Richmond induced trauma but I'm shocked at how the bookies have this game. We're comfortable favourites, about the same as Melbourne are to beat Carlton today.

Maybe it's the years of Richmond induced trauma but I'm shocked at how the bookies have this game. We're comfortable favourites, about the same as Melbourne are to beat Carlton today.

Good call. It wouldn't surprise me if there's a fair bit of money for Richmond during the week, particularly as punters digest the significance of Gardiner and Lester being out.

Beware of the wounded tiger 🐯 but our boys should be mentally ready this time without the gorilla on the back. Expect a seriously high pressure contest.

Out: Gardiner, Lester
In: K Coleman, Ellis-Yolmen

Ah Chee and Prior move back. T Berry sub. Could do Madden instead of CEY and leave Prior further up the ground, either works.

Ah Chee and Prior move back. T Berry sub. Could do Madden instead of CEY and leave Prior further up the ground, either works.
Unless CEY is one of the permanent inside mids I wouldn't go anywhere near him, not much chop at any other role IMO. I like your other option > Madden.

Unless CEY is one of the permanent inside mids I wouldn't go anywhere near him, not much chop at any other role IMO. I like your other option > Madden.
Yeah would be a bit of magnets moving around I think. Robbo (wing) or Zorko (fwd) would probably spend less time there, probably too much of a reshuffle.

Madden more like for like, and was stiff to be dropped after his first game imo.

Probably won't happen with our injuries, but after Thursday and yesterday I would drop Matho for Joyce, Matho is just not an AFL footballer good enough to play in a premiership team. Gives away stupid kicks, and his disposal is no where good enough.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Doesn't make sense. Fagan replaced Gardiner for madden and he insisted that he might go for a speedy defender again. I also would be hesitant to move ah Chee down back. He isn't particularly fast and he's gained a lot of confidence since moving out of defence. Putting him back there might hurt his confidence again. I think Madden or Answerth (if he's right) should come in for Gardener and Kiddy will come in for Lester. Richmond isn't particularly tall up front and Adams and Andrews should be enough. Fagan also noted that Starce can play taller if needed.

Probably won't happen with our injuries, but after Thursday and yesterday I would drop Matho for Joyce, Matho is jusyt not an AFL footballer gfood enough to play in a premiership team. Gives away stupid kicks, and his disposal is no where good enough.
I thought Matho had his best game last night. Fagan also noted that Matho has stepped up and considering he's fighting for his career here, it would be unfair to drop him. I think Matho should stay until Neale comes back. Robertson looks more likely to be omitted than Matho as well.

I say Madden and T Berry in and Kiddy sub again. I say Joyce/McFayden will be pushing for a spot soon if they keep playing well.
Answerth has not played much footy so you think he get a few weeks in the twos.

As others said prefer Ah Chee up forward. Although you think we need him back unless we go Madden with Carter/B Smith instead of T Berry.

I thought Matho had his best game last night. Fagan also noted that Matho has stepped up and considering he's fighting for his career here, it would be unfair to drop him. I think Matho should stay until Neale comes back. Robertson looks more likely to be omitted than Matho as well.

Yeah na. Last night was the worst of the three Mathieson has played. Errant handballs, bad free kicks, bombed the ball a lot and made quite a few skill errors. Joyce won’t come in for him and they’ll likely leave him in until Neal or Berry comes back. After which he may not play 1sts again.
Robertson is here to stay.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Yeah na. Last night was the worst of the three Mathieson has played. Errant handballs, bad free kicks, bombed the ball a lot and made quite a few skill errors. Joyce won’t come in for him and they’ll likely leave him in until Neal or Berry comes back. After which he may not play 1sts again.

I'm happy for him to get his chance and he's played fairly but he makes too many skill errors in situations where good players don't make skill errors.

But filling a void for the time being.

I'm happy for him to get his chance and he's played fairly but he makes too many skill errors in situations where good players don't make skill errors.

But filling a void for the time being.

Agree he deserved a chance. Nothing has changed though, there’s been little improvement if any since he last played seniors.

I think most people are forgetting the pressure acts that Matho is involved in. Stat wise, he was also more effective than prior and Robertson. I don't see how you could possibly drop him when his stat sheets were better than a lot of our other players. this was also his best game since returning. You don't just drop a player whose improving and had a better game than others.

Like I said, we're winning with the team that we have and he is there until Neale comes back. So let him have his chance untill Neale is ready.

On another note: this reminds me of the Ben Keays situation. Ben (like Matho) are good players, but were not given enough chance at senior level on a constant basis to show it. Matho has been dominating in the lower leagues and needs time to adapt to first grade football. His return game he was serviceable, as was his second game, but last night he was starting to find his footig. He has at least 4-5 weeks to prove himself, so let's see if he can keep this gradual rise up.

Last edited:
I think most people are forgetting the pressure acts that Matho is involved in. Stat wise, he was also more effective than prior and Robertson. I don't see how you could possibly drop him when his stat sheets were better than a lot of our other players. this was also his best game since returning. You don't just drop a player whose improving and had a better game than others.

Like I said, we're winning with the team that we have and he is there until Neale comes back. So let him have his chance untill Neale is ready.
Wouldn't be dropping him now. Personally I think he offers more than Robertson just at the present. And is a hard body we need in these tough games we've got coming up.

But I don't see him in there if we get our full complement back.

Wouldn't be dropping him now. Personally I think he offers more than Robertson just at the present. And is a hard body we need in these tough games we've got coming up.

But I don't see him in there if we get our full complement back.
Matho is a fantastic depth player though. He can come in and fill a roll when asked and he never lowers his colours. The issue is would he sign a contract knowing he would be depth player or would he seek more senior opportunities elsewhere. He would be a walk in best 22 in most clubs. Unfortunately, this is one of the problems of being a top 4-6 club.

On another note: this reminds me of the Ben Keays situation. Ben (like Matho) are good players, but were not given enough chance at senior level on a constant basis to show it. Matho has been dominating in the lower leagues and needs time to adapt to first grade football. His return game he was serviceable, as was his second game, but last night he was starting to find his footig. He has at least 4-5 weeks to prove himself, so let's see if he can keep this gradual rise up.

If he’s lucky you may get the chance to watch him at another club next year. Odds in he won’t be wearing Lions colors if he’s playing AFL next year.

If he’s lucky you may get the chance to watch him at another club next year. Odds in he won’t be wearing Lions colors if he’s playing AFL next year.

All clubs need depth. Including ours. I'm sure the club would try and sign Matho, but I don't think he would stay considering he could get a senior spot elsewhere. Remember, we tried to sign hinge (who was even further back in the pecking order than Matho) but he turned it down for more senior opportunities at Adelaide.

If Gardiner was playing I’d be pretty confident.
Going to have to be good in the 1 on 1s down back cause Lynch, Riewoldt and Martin will get their chances at some.
Feel a little better that tigers won this week as they would have been full blown backs against the wall against us which is dangerous.

Charlies kinda night I feel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back