Autopsy Round 10 vs Bulldogs, Mars Stadium, Saturday 21st May, 1:45pm AEST

Sep 19, 2006
AFL Club
Richmond
Bowes is 100% in your best 22. The only reason why it "seems" like he may not be, is because he hasn't played yet this year...(but this is just a silly reason). Hopefully for your sake and especially his, you select him. Even if you have players in form, they have to make way for the 'better overall player'.

I've always been a Bowes fan and completely puzzled as to why a top midfield talent is being wasted in the backline. IMO you would be much better off using his talent in the midfield, after all he was a first round pick, extremely composed and always played in the middle. From what I have seen, he is much more damaging than Fiorini.

Good luck this week.

Mar 14, 2014
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Las Vegas Bears
Bowes is 100% in your best 22. The only reason why it "seems" like he may not be, is because he hasn't played yet this year...(but this is just a silly reason). Hopefully for your sake and especially his, you select him. Even if you have players in form, they have to make way for the 'better overall player'.

I've always been a Bowes fan and completely puzzled as to why a top midfield talent is being wasted in the backline. IMO you would be much better off using his talent in the midfield, after all he was a first round pick, extremely composed and always played in the middle. From what I have seen, he is much more damaging than Fiorini.

Good luck this week.
Agreed, his ability to find time and space despite having the acceleration of the Queen Mary is fantastic.
Would drop Fiorini in a heartbeat for him

Emerald Sun

All Australian
Mar 16, 2022
AFL Club
Gold Coast

Good luck this week.
Agree with all that you've said and when he injured his shoulder it was while training with the mids and tackling Rowell.
Hopefully he gets selected

Corkie

Premiership Player
Aug 6, 2013
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Gold Coast United
Agreed, his ability to find time and space despite having the acceleration of the Queen Mary is fantastic.
Would drop Fiorini in a heartbeat for him

I would keep both Fiorini & Bowes in the midfield rotations (along with Touk, Anderson, Rowell & Swallow) and drop whichever small forward is least performing.

Most of our midfielders could easily rotate through the forward line as well and provide just as many crumbing goals & defensive pressure.

Rosas spot probably most at risk.

Mar 14, 2014
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Las Vegas Bears
I would keep both Fiorini & Bowes in the midfield rotations (along with Touk, Anderson, Rowell & Swallow) and drop whichever small forward is least performing.

Most of our midfielders could easily rotate through the forward line as well and provide just as many crumbing goals & defensive pressure.

Rosas spot probably most at risk.
Bowes and Fiorini have negative pace, putting them into the forward line would be a step backwards.

RowellAnderson12

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 4, 2019
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool, Max Verstappen, Pacers, DR3
Bowes and Fiorini have negative pace, putting them into the forward line would be a step backwards.

And from what we’ve seen Fiorini is the better goal kicker.

Bowes Fiorini swallow fighting for that same spot

Then constable and Tsitas

Good to have depth

The Kings Ransom

Premiership Player
Aug 30, 2021
AFL Club
Gold Coast
And from what we’ve seen Fiorini is the better goal kicker.

Bowes Fiorini swallow fighting for that same spot

Then constable and Tsitas

Good to have depth
Hardly.
Given Bowes has played defence for most of his career and Fiorini has only every played midfield, I don't really think that's a fair comparison.
2019 when Bowes played midfield he had a slight edge over Fiorini.

They both kick 1 goal every 3-4 games - it's hardly a differentiating factor.

RowellAnderson12

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 4, 2019
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Hardly.
Given Bowes has played defence for most of his career and Fiorini has only every played midfield, I don't really think that's a fair comparison.
2019 when Bowes played midfield he had a slight edge over Fiorini.

They both kick 1 goal every 3-4 games - it's hardly a differentiating factor.

Bowes has had his chance forward over the years, showed no impact and got sent back. Fiorini has kicked some pretty goals for us

Sep 25, 2012
Brisbane
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
OKC, Chelsea FC, Raiders
Yeah dunno, given the choice I’d Choose Bowes every day of the week. Had he not gotten injured and been playing through the middle the first 9 rounds, he’d be in the top 10 or so players picked IMO. I still think he can become one of the better midfielders in the league. He was forced into that deep defensive role for the last couple of years to give us a ball user, but it just wasn’t him by the end.

Fiorini has done alright lately given his lack of minutes in the centre square, but his kicking is still a killer (last weeks conditions certainly helped hide it).

The Kings Ransom

Premiership Player
Aug 30, 2021
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Bowes has had his chance forward over the years, showed no impact and got sent back. Fiorini has kicked some pretty goals for us
I must have missed when he played more than a quarter or two sporadically in the forward line.

Can only assume you meant, Fiorini has kicked some 'important' goals for us.
I'd say Jack fills ticks that box as well.

Sharpy is the winger who seems most likely to end up a decent goal kicker.

Mar 18, 2011
Everett
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
New England Patriots
I'm hopeful of a win against the Dogs, but I think they will smoke us.

Wins against Sydney and Freo have been good, but we all know we play the SCG well and the Freo game was so wet they could barely play to their ideal game plan. We all witnessed our inability to defend inside 50s, too. They had it pinned in our defensive half a lot.

Dogs are now humming again. Last years Grand Finalists at a ground they know well. Think it will be very hard to get a win this week.

I'm hopeful, but not holding my breath.

All the good media talk this week has been refreshing. Totally weird, but refreshing. But think it swings back around again next week. Then we need to jag the next two in Darwin.

Jirik13

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 22, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I'm hopeful of a win against the Dogs, but I think they will smoke us.

Wins against Sydney and Freo have been good, but we all know we play the SCG well and the Freo game was so wet they could barely play to their ideal game plan. We all witnessed our inability to defend inside 50s, too. They had it pinned in our defensive half a lot.

Dogs are now humming again. Last years Grand Finalists at a ground they know well. Think it will be very hard to get a win this week.

I'm hopeful, but not holding my breath.

All the good media talk this week has been refreshing. Totally weird, but refreshing. But think it swings back around again next week. Then we need to jag the next two in Darwin.
My hope is that Witts will continue his form and get better of Sweet. Then we go from there. Our defence should handle Naughton.

Mar 14, 2014
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Las Vegas Bears
I would also add Ballard, Budarick, Lemmens in defence and Rowell in the middle compared to last year. Witts/Chol ruck combo is a huge upgrade for us from Graham/Burgess.
We only lost by 11 in the second game with Zac Smith!

Jirik13

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 22, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast
We only lost by 11 in the second game with Zac Smith!
Now I remember. You caused me a pain. That was a bloody close game. Time to humiliate Bulldogs. One point will do. Rankine kick after siren.

Surely, coach King still remembers some secrets.

RowellAnderson12

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 4, 2019
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
I must have missed when he played more than a quarter or two sporadically in the forward line.

Can only assume you meant, Fiorini has kicked some 'important' goals for us.
I'd say Jack fills ticks that box as well.

Sharpy is the winger who seems most likely to end up a decent goal kicker.

Must of missed the early years of Bowes in the #29 guernsey then

I’m a Bowes supporter I’m just saying Fiorini has kicked better goals for us when he’s had the chance

Back