Review Round 10 vs Geelong @ GMHBA Stadium (22.05.21 - 2:10pm)

robo_1

Premiership Player
Nov 11, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
Gold Coast
we are barely a mediocre side at the moment. A mediocre performance is par. Were you hoping to beat them?

We’ve been mediocre since our inception but being happy with not reaching the average loss shouldn’t be acceptable.. I knew we would’ve never beat them but I am not happy with another loss either.. whether it’s 100+ points or 34 points it doesn’t matter to me it’s just another loss at the end of the day and another week of hearing how bad the Gold Coast Suns are

robo_1

Premiership Player
Nov 11, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Appreciate it bro! Apparently a lady was saying Gerard Healy made mention to us behind the goals about our noise and effort will have to rewatch and try find the moment. We were heckled, spat on, yelled at and confronted and we didn’t back down to the inbreds. Awful stadium, fans and experience, now I know why bodsy hates the handbaggers so much! Bunch of gutless flogs.

This is the class they treat their concussed players with on social media

380e404d972a8e3f588ca186bca6d223.jpg

Mini GF

Norm Smith Medallist
May 21, 2017
Southern GC-the beautiful city
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Just watched it now as though live
A 34 point loss is a terrific result
Was a pretty good effort
A sterling effort though was produced by the VFL Umpires on behalf of the oh so precious VFL Handbaggers Franchise.
All in all I was scared so much about today and we walk away with a creditable result.

Will go read all
Your comments now

Last edited:

Mini GF

Norm Smith Medallist
May 21, 2017
Southern GC-the beautiful city
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Appreciate it bro! Apparently a lady was saying Gerard Healy made mention to us behind the goals about our noise and effort will have to rewatch and try find the moment. We were heckled, spat on, yelled at and confronted and we didn’t back down to the inbreds. Awful stadium, fans and experience, now I know why bodsy hates the handbaggers so much! Bunch of gutless flogs.

Huge shout out to you guys at the game having to endure the consequences of multi generational inbreeding and entitlement. A city kept alive for the last 30 years by massive amounts of direct and indirect welfare.
The commentators mocking of us having small supporter numbers makes me proud.
We aren’t from a AFL state like WCE, Freo, PA and Adelaide and unlike Sydney/Brisbane we aren’t a transplanted VFL club.
Also If you are a Gold Coaster then you are pretty unlikely to leave for obvious reasons.
So you guys that rock up at away games are precious.

Mt Isa Mustang

Cancelled
Dream Team Club Board Winner
Nov 23, 2019
AFL Club
Gold Coast
You said he’s just there to clear the leading space? Burgess better in defence than forward his turning circle is like Tom Tate wheeling a cruise ship around wave break island
I said he is there to ensure tall defenders can't zone off and sit in front of Ben King - by making them accountable to man him up. If left alone he can take a mark and kick a goal and I think that has to be somewhat respected by the opposition.

Finished with 5 marks, 2 marks inside 50 and 2 shots on goal which is not the worst day.. been a bit underwhelming in the position. I don't think we can play a small forward in that spot though, against a team that has good zone off tall defenders especially.

Henry, Stewart, Henderson had 28 intercept possessions between them so they were still able to zone off pretty effectively..

Feb 27, 2005
Port Augusta
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
QPR
Honestly, ... I thought that was ok.
Final quarter and a half we lost touch. But prior to that kept having a dig.
Huge amount of credit to Wil Powell .. I had huge doubts about him in his first season or two, but he’s come on great..

Well done to the cheer squad for enduring firstly visiting that shithole town, then having to put up with the inbreds that go with it.
You flew the flag well.

Oct 24, 2008
Mermaid Beach
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
GWS, Celtics, 76ers
I’ve been on Dew’s case a lot in the last few weeks, but the way he stuck up for Izak in the presser - all class 👌

wasn’t some knee-jerk smartarse approach - just backed him in.
Have to agree, I thought he was honest and clear. I just hope he is right

Nov 17, 2009
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I question our development of the younger players.
Other clubs just seem to find things in players. We seem to have the best talent and they end up being and having a mediocre career either with us or somewhere else.
I know it gets boring repeating the same thing over and over, but 18yo's can't teach other 18yo's how to play
eg At Geelong you have Selwood Hawkins Dangerfield etc
I won't go through the other AFL Clubs just to prove my point but at The Suns it's the sporting equivalent of Lord of the Flies

Peel67skin

Norm Smith Medallist
May 21, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool
I know it gets boring repeating the same thing over and over, but 18yo's can't teach other 18yo's how to play
I won't go through the other AFL Clubs just to prove my point but at The Suns it's the sporting equivalent of Lord of the Flies
how come Brisbane Irish player is better than GCS and won NEAFL undefeated in a season and yet GCS struggle to even play in GF in lower league.

Stroppy

Club Legend
Apr 14, 2015
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Dubs
Thought we did pretty well given we only had 41 inside 50s to 62.

Did not convert a handful of 70/30 goal opportunities, but we will not get anywhere as a team unless we get better mids or the mids we have get better.

Of the players who would have played most of the game in the mids or on the wing, only Miller got enough pill.

Just looking at disposals (too many of which were ineffective)
Miller 30
Swallow 21
Hugh 18
Ellis 17
Weller 16
Ando 14

Sorry, just not good enough for a midfield group (and true for most of the year). In fact, rubbish. Defenders and the forwards make some mistakes, but they also don't get much of a hand up from the mids.

And age wise, the only young player on that list is Ando, 4 of the 6 have played over 100 games, and the other is Greenwood with 70+ games at 29 years old.
Throw in Atkins with 9 touches and 100 games.

Pretty sure that particular set of mids will never be good enough to take a team to finals. Miller needs to be our 4th best mid not our best mid.
Also pretty sure that the mids running around in the VFL are not good enough either.

Nov 17, 2009
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Thought we did pretty well given we only had 41 inside 50s to 62.

Did not convert a handful of 70/30 goal opportunities, but we will not get anywhere as a team unless we get better mids or the mids we have get better.

Of the players who would have played most of the game in the mids or on the wing, only Miller got enough pill.

Just looking at disposals (too many of which were ineffective)
Miller 30
Swallow 21
Hugh 18
Ellis 17
Weller 16
Ando 14

Sorry, just not good enough for a midfield group (and true for most of the year). In fact, rubbish. Defenders and the forwards make some mistakes, but they also don't get much of a hand up from the mids.

And age wise, the only young player on that list is Ando, 4 of the 6 have played over 100 games, and the other is Greenwood with 70+ games at 29 years old.
Throw in Atkins with 9 touches and 100 games.

Pretty sure that particular set of mids will never be good enough to take a team to finals. Miller needs to be our 4th best mid not our best mid.
Also pretty sure that the mids running around in the VFL are not good enough either.
A fit and firing midfield of Rowell Anderson Miller and Swallow is fine with chop outs from Greenwood and Weller
Its just that by the time Rowell and Anderson are peaking Dave and Touk will be rolling out in wheelchairs

Peel67skin

Norm Smith Medallist
May 21, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool
Pretty sure that particular set of mids will never be good enough to take a team to finals.

This sentence is being repeated every season. Only by winning we won't see this sentence again.

Peel67skin

Norm Smith Medallist
May 21, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool
A fit and firing midfield of Rowell Anderson Miller and Swallow is fine with chop outs from Greenwood and Weller
Its just that by the time Rowell and Anderson are peaking Dave and Touk will be rolling out in wheelchairs
Anderson and Rowell could go to a bigger club too . Nothing last forever ~ Lynch , May , Jack Martin , Prestia .

Sep 30, 2010
Katherine, NT
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Tampa Bay Buccaneers, TB Lightning,

I have not been back since the racism incident in about 2013 when our club tried to sweep it under the carpet. They are a freaking feral group.

SnusCG

Club Legend
Aug 30, 2016
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Was at the game and honestly, I came out feeling like it was a much closer game than it ended up being on the scoreboard.

We actually defended well and set up a wall around the 50 to great effect, but in the end our in inability to convert on the scoreboard just killed us. Easy set shots that we missed and then at the other end of the ground they were drop punting marks 50m out on the boundary and it was going straight through.

I realise I've made my feelings about the Atkins acquisition clear but 9 disposals in a full game of football from a 27 year old 100+ gamer is horseshit. Get Sharp in and at least get some development going if that's all he offers us.

Also Rankine seems so devoid of confidence and overcoached right now.

Mt Isa Mustang

Cancelled
Nov 23, 2019
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Where is the end to that? That ultimately is the biggest question.

We have our third generation kids (Lukosius, king etc..) learning from our 2nd generation kids (miller, Lemmens, Weller) etc.. With Swallow and a few transplants (Ellis, Witts and Greenwood)

I think it will take until our 2nd generation kids are truly veterans, our 3rd year kids are in their prime and we have 4th generation kids in the team and 5th generation kids developing on the fringes before we are really over this issue.

Mar 18, 2011
Everett
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
New England Patriots
Was at the game and honestly, I came out feeling like it was a much closer game than it ended up being on the scoreboard.

We actually defended well and set up a wall around the 50 to great effect, but in the end our in inability to convert on the scoreboard just killed us. Easy set shots that we missed and then at the other end of the ground they were drop punting marks 50m out on the boundary and it was going straight through.

I realise I've made my feelings about the Atkins acquisition clear but 9 disposals in a full game of football from a 27 year old 100+ gamer is horseshit. Get Sharp in and at least get some development going if that's all he offers us.

I certainly agree with Atkins. When he gets the ball he's good. He clearly has the capacity to be one of our better kicks inside 50 and a good winger, but he has a lot of ground to make up and impact. Hopefully with more games he finds his groove. It doesn't help him that we seem to be playing him a lot at half-forward. That's not his go at all. Needs to be on the wing like Ellis pretty much full-time to impact.

Hopefully with more games and against lesser teams he starts to show more. That sizzling kick inside 50 to King shows what he can do. Just need to get it in his hands more. Kicking it to him 3v1 in the forward flank is not his thing.

Aug 17, 2010
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Where is the end to that? That ultimately is the biggest question.

We have our third generation kids (Lukosius, king etc..) learning from our 2nd generation kids (miller, Lemmens, Weller) etc.. With Swallow and a few transplants (Ellis, Witts and Greenwood)

I think it will take until our 2nd generation kids are truly veterans, our 3rd year kids are in their prime and we have 4th generation kids in the team and 5th generation kids developing on the fringes before we are really over this issue.
Provided we can hang onto our third and fourth gen kids. So much still needs to fall into place for us.

Mt Isa Mustang

Cancelled
Nov 23, 2019
AFL Club
Gold Coast

Yeah agree with Rankine.
Doesn't appear to be playing with any joy.

Always see him trying to hype the crowd up - almost as if he is trying to force himself to get up for it.

Back