Preview Round 10, West Coast Eagles vs GWS Giants, Sunday 28th May, 4.40pm AEST, Domain Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 6, 2012
Sydney
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Thunder
“The final frontier”.

We’re away next week in what’s been long regarded as the toughest of road trips, playing the only team we’ve never beaten.

And I wasn’t holding out much hope until West Coast’s very poor effort against Essendon this afternoon. You’d have to think if the Eagles saw themselves as genuine contenders, that was the sort of game they’d try hard to win. But they were outplayed by the physicality of the Bombers and lost every quarter, being routed by 10 goals. A bad loss in anyone’s book.

We go into the match in neither good shape nor particularly good form. And as far as the mounting injury toll is concerned, we’re probably at something of a tipping point. Our structure is feeling the strain, and we just can’t afford to lose any more senior players. Of the established names on the injury list, we’re due to get Mzungu, Hopper and Ryan Griffen back in 5-6 weeks. That time frame is like football eternity – can our luck with the rest of the players for hold that long? The bye can’t come soon enough.

On the positive side, Matt De Boer fitted in well for his first senior game, and thank goodness Toby was back. Tim Mohr returned to the NEAFL team that lost to Brisbane by a point, and he helped out with a goal. Other more experienced players such as Matt Kennedy and Harrison Himmelberg were unexceptional. But really, there doesn’t seem to be anyone left in the wings at present.

Are we a chance?

If we were close to full strength, perhaps. We’ve shown a great deal of character in the past couple of weeks, refusing to give in when all appeared lost. It was great to watch. Perhaps adversity is helping bond the team.

Whatever happens, I know we’re not going to go down without a fight.

Go Giants!

I have so say that I expect a loss given the mammoth injury toll and disruption to our team balance. However, there are plenty of issues that Leon needs to work on:
  • the contest: despite the stats, I feel that we are not actually winning the contest a lot of the time; we seem to get awarded a clearance but quickly run into trouble or have a handpass intercepted quickly thereafter (see Richmond's first two goals), so need to work on getting cleaner possession with the midfielders that we can put on the field.
  • kicking into the F50: need to drop our eyes and kick to a lead; plus the forwards need to actually need & not wait for the ball to come to them, where it was getting intercepted too often the last few weeks.
  • the defensive unit need to work more closely to their opposing forwards - they are getting too much easy separation and taking easy marks; I'd suggest that the one injured player we are really missing is Nick Haynes and his outstanding defensive intercepting.
If we can get some of these areas to improve, and take a strong mental approach, then there's no actual reason why we couldn't win.

I have so say that I expect a loss given the mammoth injury toll and disruption to our team balance. However, there are plenty of issues that Leon needs to work on:
  • the contest: despite the stats, I feel that we are not actually winning the contest a lot of the time; we seem to get awarded a clearance but quickly run into trouble or have a handpass intercepted quickly thereafter (see Richmond's first two goals), so need to work on getting cleaner possession with the midfielders that we can put on the field.
  • kicking into the F50: need to drop our eyes and kick to a lead; plus the forwards need to actually need & not wait for the ball to come to them, where it was getting intercepted too often the last few weeks.
  • the defensive unit need to work more closely to their opposing forwards - they are getting too much easy separation and taking easy marks; I'd suggest that the one injured player we are really missing is Nick Haynes and his outstanding defensive intercepting.
If we can get some of these areas to improve, and take a strong mental approach, then there's no actual reason why we couldn't win.
I get Haynes, and he cant be replaced. I think Cogs hurts a lot in your top point too.
Hope our board never gets the obsession with whinging about what might have been like the Mutts though.
:'( At least if we do it's here and not on the open boards.

“The final frontier”.

We’re away next week in what’s been long regarded as the toughest of road trips, playing the only team we’ve never beaten.

And I wasn’t holding out much hope until West Coast’s very poor effort against Essendon this afternoon. You’d have to think if the Eagles saw themselves as genuine contenders, that was the sort of game they’d try hard to win. But they were outplayed by the physicality of the Bombers and lost every quarter, being routed by 10 goals. A bad loss in anyone’s book.

We go into the match in neither good shape nor particularly good form. And as far as the mounting injury toll is concerned, we’re probably at something of a tipping point. Our structure is feeling the strain, and we just can’t afford to lose any more senior players. Of the established names on the injury list, we’re due to get Mzungu, Hopper and Ryan Griffen back in 5-6 weeks. That time frame is like football eternity – can our luck with the rest of the players for hold that long? The bye can’t come soon enough.

On the positive side, Matt De Boer fitted in well for his first senior game, and thank goodness Toby was back. Tim Mohr returned to the NEAFL team that lost to Brisbane by a point, and he helped out with a goal. Other more experienced players such as Matt Kennedy and Harrison Himmelberg were unexceptional. But really, there doesn’t seem to be anyone left in the wings at present.

Are we a chance?

If we were close to full strength, perhaps. We’ve shown a great deal of character in the past couple of weeks, refusing to give in when all appeared lost. It was great to watch. Perhaps adversity is helping bond the team.

Whatever happens, I know we’re not going to go down without a fight.

Go Giants!
They are a different kettle of fish at Subiaco and rarely lose by less than 30 odd points.

However the key to is is 2 things.

1. Start well.

Teams thay start slow against west coast in Perth usually get smashed. Now this has been a problem this year. Can Leon turn that around.

2. Nullify Josh Kennedy.

If Davis does this well we are in with a shot

On HUAWEI NXT-L09 using BigFooty.com mobile app

By the way just for Lols lets see how long it takes for an Eagles supporter to come in here and quote me saying "Surprise surprise, a freo supporter getting behind the team playing the eagles" rolls eyes

Timer is ticking

On HUAWEI NXT-L09 using BigFooty.com mobile app
Sure our mods will handle it. Generally I find WC posters ok, but I get it's different for you. Hopefully GG fires up the banter thread, so it stays there.

I have PTSD thinking about our previous gams against the Eagles at Domain. I hate to think what is going through the minds of our boys when we run out there to actually play.
Our injuries and lack of form (even though we have been lucky enough to win) lead me to think that this is going to get 2013 levels of ugly. Even more so considering the "home-town heroes" had their asses handed to them by the Bombers in Melbourne yesterday.

I have PTSD thinking about our previous gams against the Eagles at Domain. I hate to think what is going through the minds of our boys when we run out there to actually play.
Our injuries and lack of form (even though we have been lucky enough to win) lead me to think that this is going to get 2013 levels of ugly. Even more so considering the "home-town heroes" had their asses handed to them by the Bombers in Melbourne yesterday.

The good news for us is, as far as long term top 4 goes, the Eagles dropping the game against Essendon means they are less likely to get top two.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Property barons from South Australia with landholdings in the inner west of Sydney and all over Adelaide don't care about their bank balance that much do they mate? Hahahahahahaha

To be honest, being a property baron in Adelaide doesn't mean much.

The good news for us is, as far as long term top 4 goes, the Eagles dropping the game against Essendon means they are less likely to get top two.
You may be right but I will also say not necessarily - we have only lost one more match than GWS. I think you are 7-2 and the Eagles are 6-3 so only time will tell of course. :) If we have any more bad losses like against Essendon our percentage will get badly effected though!

I worry about this game. A lot.

Eagles coming off an embarrassing performance, at home where they are almost unbeatable, versus an injury ravaged Giants who've had a string of close calls. I feel like eventually there will be a game where not much goes right, and I fear this will be it. I sincerely hope I'm wrong of course. Being the late game Sunday does help a tad, a slightly longer rest.

You may be right but I will also say not necessarily - we have only lost one more match than GWS. I think you are 7-2 and the Eagles are 6-3 so only time will tell of course. :) If we have any more bad losses like against Essendon our percentage will get badly effected though!
It's early in the season still. May is for accumulating points, no one knows the outcome. We're currently 4 points in front it's true. It'll be the club that lifts later in the year that matters.
:D We're confident it'll be us.
:oops: This week a big mountain to climb, but apparently the guys like a challenge this year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back