Review Round 11 – GWS Giants vs Gold Coast Suns, Sat 1st June, Sydney Showground Stadium 1.45pm

Remove this Banner Ad

What a long day but a good 1:thumbsu:

Coached the kids to a win, then took the daughter to the game and got a signed footy after the game

What a better way to finish compared to the blues

Need some blockbuster games in prime time compared to GC in middle of the day on same weekend where NRL teams missing 1/2 their players for next wednesday

Great game GIANTS well done Freo ;)

Smashed us again. Pretty annoying for us up here BUT I do hope you win the GF.
People are going to be harsh because of the final score, but you guys have been playing well this year (viz, Geelong to 3Q time last week, couple of close losses) and fought pretty to half time. The loss of Bowes, and our mids slowly getting on top in the contested game put it in our favour, and last week's last Q fade out drove that last Q scoring spree. King should be good for your forward line, Rankine too when he gets on the park, and if you get your full strength backline on the park you'll trouble lots of sides. A great result for us today - good reward for effort - but nice to see GCS improving this season (the reward in wins will come).

4 points and a percentage boost is what was expected today and good to see Cameron, Coniglio and Cameron in good form and solid contributions all over the park and the tall forwards are working so well together I am sure a lot of teams are trying to work out how to shut them down.
The frees Mumford is conceding is now an issue as it can change game momentum and he needs to work out how to be competitive in the ruck contest without conceding so many frees, also the stupid free kick conceded by Taranto with the push in the back would not have made the coaches happy
Cumming is getting more accustomed to the speed of the game and although he has a lot to learn hopefully he can stay in the team for a few more weeks
Suns put some work into Whitfield and the team and coaches need to work out a way for him to work off the tag

4 points and a percentage boost is what was expected today and good to see Cameron, Coniglio and Cameron in good form and solid contributions all over the park and the tall forwards are working so well together I am sure a lot of teams are trying to work out how to shut them down.
The frees Mumford is conceding is now an issue as it can change game momentum and he needs to work out how to be competitive in the ruck contest without conceding so many frees, also the stupid free kick conceded by Taranto with the push in the back would not have made the coaches happy
Cumming is getting more accustomed to the speed of the game and although he has a lot to learn hopefully he can stay in the team for a few more weeks
Suns put some work into Whitfield and the team and coaches need to work out a way for him to work off the tag

Taranto’s push in the side you mean. Also one of the Mummy frees was supposedly for a push / high contact in the ruck as he was reaching over the top to get at the ball. If it had have been the other way around it would have been a free kick against Mummy for a block or shepherd. Some of the frees against Mummy in the last couple of weeks have been paid purely because it’s Mummy.

The two rucks were holding and scragging each other all game, yet Witts got 6 frees and didn’t give away a single one. A ruckman who doesn’t give away a single free kick in 120 minutes of footy? Yeah, that’s legit.

There was also another incident I noticed right in front of me. Toby was on the lead and being held and scragged by the Suns player. The umpire grabbed his shirt signalling “held” but didn’t pay the free. He signalled the infringement, realised it was Toby and then didn’t pay the free.

Seeing Gavin Roberston in the sheds this afternoon was one of the most courageous things I've ever witnessed in football.. He undergoes serious brain surgery..then days later he's singing "Never Surrender " are you kidding me??? Super tough, Super inspirational.. Been with the club since day 1... All of the Giants Family is with you & your loved ones 100% all the way.... get well soon champ!

gV.jpg

Just a few tidbits...

I really like Cumming. Doesn’t do a huge amount (at this stage) but everything he does is classy. Really hope they persist with him, but you'd think as soon as Williams is fit he'll drop out. Has a real future.

Having Deledio in is so important, even if he's not doing much he's such a leader out there. Always seems to be bobbing up in the scoring chains.

Finlayson up forward is one of these moves that pushes an already very good to being a great one. Who knew?! He's vital up there, the forward line functions so much better with him in attack.

Taranto's kicking is subpar. Honestly will hold him back from ever reaching the top tier of midfielders. Just so hit and miss, with so many wobblers and floaters.

Daniel's brings so many great attributes to the team, and a choice of him and a fit Langdon I'd almost take him, but his finishing skills are really bad. Must work on this.

Taranto’s push in the side you mean. Also one of the Mummy frees was supposedly for a push / high contact in the ruck as he was reaching over the top to get at the ball. If it had have been the other way around it would have been a free kick against Mummy for a block or shepherd. Some of the frees against Mummy in the last couple of weeks have been paid purely because it’s Mummy.

The two rucks were holding and scragging each other all game, yet Witts got 6 frees and didn’t give away a single one. A ruckman who doesn’t give away a single free kick in 120 minutes of footy? Yeah, that’s legit.

There was also another incident I noticed right in front of me. Toby was on the lead and being held and scragged by the Suns player. The umpire grabbed his shirt signalling “held” but didn’t pay the free. He signalled the infringement, realised it was Toby and then didn’t pay the free.
I wondered about that as we all thought it was a pretty obvious holding, if it’s the same one.
I’ve recorded the game and look forward to seeing that one and the Mumford frees. There were a few called last week against him in the ruck too. Is it just Mumford or is it something he’s doing wrong?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The telegraphed switch.
We are on the top left or right of our defensive 50m arc.
We could kick quickly to a lead on the wing but hesitate. It would now be a kick to a contest.
Player obviously looks inboard and backward and kicks to centre back.
Opposition has already starting shifting over.
We kick to the same position on the opposite 50m arc.
Sometimes we reverse that a kick it back across.
Everyone has transferred over and we now kick to a contest, anyway.
Is this a tactic used to annoy me personally, or do the players use it to take a breather?

Nick Haynes.
Superstar.
Not to forget the other Captain Courageous, Davis.
Their intercept marks were great, again.
All home games v Gold Coast need to be played at Canberra , GC absence of a travelling supporters base and poor performance on the field means all you can is expect is 7-8 k crowd. Play at Canberra who are desperate for games and you may get a couple of thousand more

Last edited:
All home games v Gold Coast need to be played at Canberra , GC absence of a travelling supporters base and poor performance on the field means all you can is expect is 7-8 crowd. Play at Canberra who are desperate for games and you may get a couple of thousand more
We play a few interstate teams there. Maybe that’s the plan.

Just a few tidbits...

I really like Cumming. Doesn’t do a huge amount (at this stage) but everything he does is classy. Really hope they persist with him, but you'd think as soon as Williams is fit he'll drop out. Has a real future.

Having Deledio in is so important, even if he's not doing much he's such a leader out there. Always seems to be bobbing up in the scoring chains.

Finlayson up forward is one of these moves that pushes an already very good to being a great one. Who knew?! He's vital up there, the forward line functions so much better with him in attack.

Taranto's kicking is subpar. Honestly will hold him back from ever reaching the top tier of midfielders. Just so hit and miss, with so many wobblers and floaters.

Daniel's brings so many great attributes to the team, and a choice of him and a fit Langdon I'd almost take him, but his finishing skills are really bad. Must work on this.

All through Finlayson's jnr days he was a forward, and just like Nathan Wilson who we tried to turn into a forward once we played them in there natural position they started to kill it.

All home games v Gold Coast need to be played at Canberra , GC absence of a travelling supporters base and poor performance on the field means all you can is expect is 7-8 crowd. Play at Canberra who are desperate for games and you may get a couple of thousand more

Sounds good in theory, but I used to live in Canberra and watched North screw it up by only ever playing crap low drawing crowds. It was ALWAYS either Port or Freo. The whole “they’re starved of footy so they’ll turn up an watch any old crap” attitude used to pi$$ me off to the point where I wouldn’t go - and none of my AFL loving friends would either.

It’s patronising and ultimately counter-productive.

Regardless of where we play them (where anybody plays them) they won’t draw a crowd.

We've played the Suns three times in Canberra and four times at the Showgrounds. Only the very first game in our very first year had a Canberra attendance that beat the worst attendance at Showgrounds.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back