AFL Autopsy Round 11: 16 Point loss to Greater Western Sydney

Remove this Banner Ad

We mostly agree today's efforts were pretty good and there is a lot of ppl saying how amazing GWS are....and they are. However you can either roll over and just accept they are unbeatable, or address the areas that cost us and work out how to beat them.

A few things I noticed. Coyler was good in the first (and we were winning) but did not touch it in the second and GWS got back into the game(Fitness or concentration problem?). Some of his touches in the third were turnovers...it looked as though he needed to kick on his left, but tried to get onto his right foot then buggered it up. Myers when under pressure throws it onto his boot and the ball is in dispute again...prefer a handball out wide but keep possession. Use his raking foot after he gets it in the clear and has time to look. Hepp...pretty much unsighted in the last (great until the last). Cant have non contributors against top teams when the game is on the line. Stewart probably one of the weakest on the ground. Need everyone contributing. Maybe too many old players in the team at once.

I am sure there are more things (rub of the green from umps etc.). These little things add up as the game goes on. Anyway...just some observations, maybe some are right and others might be way off the mark.

"the old fashioned way?" lol
Essendon sides that have been great since I have been following them - 38 years - have largely been built from within, through the draft or before that local tallent. Apart from the odd exception we rarely chase big name players maybe Geoff Raines in the 80's, Goddard- who else?

We are currently developing a list through astute drafting and development.

That's my version of the old fashioned way.

Essendon sides that have been great since I have been following them - 38 years - have largely been built from within, through the draft or before that local tallent. Apart from the odd exception we rarely chase big name players maybe Geoff Raines in the 80's, Goddard- who else?

We are currently developing a list through astute drafting and development.

That's my version of the old fashioned way.

We have been doing that for years and still haven't achieved any kind of success.

imo you cant just keep relying on the draft and developing your own footy has changed now we actually need to go out and get some quality from other teams other wise we will continue to get left behind.

We have been doing that for years and still haven't achieved any kind of success.

imo you cant just keep relying on the draft and developing your own footy has changed now we actually need to go out and get some quality from other teams other wise we will continue to get left behind.

Ok then - you keep banging on about getting big name players - who are you going to let go to get them?

Best part of GWS depth today for me was the difficulty Will Setterfield will have in getting into that side. A couple of niggling injuries in the second half of the year and maybe the 2018 pre season, and he could be ours. Hopefully Dodo is keeping on cosy terms with his manager.

That is kinda the point. We are a couple of injuries away from being bottom 4. They are 10 best 22 out and sitting top of the ladder.

Anyone suggesting we are not far away needs to take a massive reality check.

Sent from my F3115 using Tapatalk
In terms of list depth, every team is a mile off GWS. In terms of today's performance, we weren't far off.

GWS recruited talent left, right and centre and have an abnormally overpowered list as a result of a compromised draft to help them become successful early.

Essendon recruited blokes like Merrett and Fanta in a compromised/penalised draft.

Given our two different paths, I'm proud of the guys for pushing them today, we weren't far off considering how large the gap should be.

Also, can't see how GWS can retain their list, VIC clubs will surely keep hacking away at them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If it lands us Kelly I wouldn't have a problem trading Laverde.
I'm sure at this point in time you wouldnt. It won't happen for obvious reasons but I'll check you with that call when he actually gets to play a few games.

Trading out picks and or players to chase stars is not often the answer. Have you ever considered our issue may be our bottom 5 players? Upgrade them through these draft pics you'd be happy to throw around and all of a sudden we would have done them tonight.

Star chasing is as old as the hills and not remotely sophisticated.

Last edited:
Overall a gusty performance, wasn't looking forward to the game but Ive walked away feeling positive. Hooker responded and the smalls performed very well, they are a huge barometer for this team. Game could have been different if Joey Daniher had a big game but he didn't get a whole lot of ball directed to him tonight which is okay since we scored 101 points with only 1 goal to Joe. Love how Green just pops up and kicks goals. Thought Jobe was okay tonight, won a lot of ball and his kicking looked better in the field. McKenna and Gleeson played great and loved how Cameron and Patton had no influence on the game, credit to Hartley and Hurley there. Colyer and Myers were better than last week but still not brilliant. Stanton and Howlett were shocking inclusions but they battled hard but I think it comes down to the if a younger player has similar output then you pick the younger player, so I would be suprised if Langford wasn't in this week. Stewart stunk it up and wouldn't be against playing Francis one game before the bye. Vintage Bellchambers tonight as well and the best part was he won a couple of clearances out of the middle and pushed forward to kick 2 goals, feel like Berger might be a better tap ruckman but Bellchambers is certainly offering more around the ground. Baugley played a shocker on Greene but he's one of the best forwards in the comp so no hard feelings on him, he's been okay this year.

If I had to make guess the changes this week the only change I could really lock in would be Langford and Kelly for Stanton and Howlett. Maybe Francis for Stewart. Reckon we are a good chance against Port, they will be talked up all week and we can sneak in on our home deck as favourites, big home crowd and attack the game like we did with West Coast by coming out of the blocks hard and making Port uncomfortable away from home. 6 and 6 at the bye would be a decent result given we are still building as a side.

If it lands us Kelly I wouldn't have a problem trading Laverde.
Id much rather we persist with the draft, it allows us to manage our finances and doesn't affect our place in future drafts (ie.Hawthorne).

Note, luring in young guns from other teams takes a massive slice of the salary caps away from blokes like Merrett, Fanta, Walla, Daniher, Parish, Langford, Laverde and Francis. Throwing the farm and then some more at Kelly won't win us a premiership

Id much rather we persist with the draft, it allows us to manage our finances and doesn't affect our place in future drafts (ie.Hawthorne).

Note, luring in young guns from other teams takes a massive slice of the salary caps away from blokes like Merrett, Fanta, Walla, Daniher, Parish, Langford, Laverde and Francis. Throwing the farm and then some more at Kelly won't win us a premiership
Particularly the bolded. Do we really want to be what Hawthorne has become? And they started from a higher base too.

Surely McKernan comes in for Stewart. Just got home. Didn't see the game. Did we miss Parish?

Particularly the bolded. Do we really want to be what Hawthorne has become? And they started from a higher base too.
I'd gladly take on the problems Hawthorn are facing 10 years from now if it means we get 4 flags along the way.

Weird game. GWS' field kicking and kicking for goal was first class, they definitely got the rub of the green with the umpires......

Not going to pot anyone but thought Stewart, Colyer, Howlett and Myers (nice goal though!) struggled to get into it.
Myers and Howlett did a lot of heavy body work in tight. Check the replay and I think you will find they were better than what you thought.

Colyer used to play the way that he is playing now..... takes the game on ..does some nice things but makes mistakes. As did Fantasia a year or 2 ago and as McKenna continues to do and McGrath is doing similar with more polish.

I reckon we need Colyer at his best in the team. Which VFL player has similar speed and line breaking ability that could take his place... Jake Long?

Stewart may develop into a Lynch type from Adelaide but is a long way off. He was definitely trying his guts out.

He contested a marking contest with Tomlinson who comprehensively out marked him when Stewart appeared to be in the better position. Stewart argued with the umpire while Tomlinson waltzed away and had a shot that just missed.

Would like to see TBC up forward to replace Stewart. He leads into the right position and is a beautiful mark and kick. We have lots of run on our forward line with the smalls. Luey comes in and TBC and he can share the ruck.

Hooker roams more up the ground. Joey also roams but must not contest the centre bounce, only throw ins up forward.,

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back