Autopsy Round 11 2018 Swans vs Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

Been a few of those since 2014. Every year is different and you need to move on but I for one still get driven to drink by that day in 2014 and only a premiership will be redemption for it. Honestly thought 2014 & 2016 we were the best side and just hope we have not gone back to the well once to often. We look dour,slow and weary and have a massive problem with the consistency of both our stars and depth players. Bottom 6 if you like. Positives are there is massive improvement possible and we are gutting out wins without playing to our capabilities. That has to continue against the Saints with the hope of hitting our straps against the Eagles who I genuinely believe we have played our best footy against this year in Rd 1. They had no Kennedy and it was probably 3 quarters of our best but still it was a good brand of footy that stuck out imo. Just my take.

Yeah agree, not at all confident, I reckon its nearly a miracle that we are top 4 right now.

Been a few of those since 2014. Every year is different and you need to move on but I for one still get driven to drink by that day in 2014 and only a premiership will be redemption for it. Honestly thought 2014 & 2016 we were the best side and just hope we have not gone back to the well once to often. We look dour,slow and weary and have a massive problem with the consistency of both our stars and depth players. Bottom 6 if you like. Positives are there is massive improvement possible and we are gutting out wins without playing to our capabilities. That has to continue against the Saints with the hope of hitting our straps against the Eagles who I genuinely believe we have played our best footy against this year in Rd 1. They had no Kennedy and it was probably 3 quarters of our best but still it was a good brand of footy that stuck out imo. Just my take.

Its just facts that its incredibly hard to win a flag for a interstate side so many odds stacked against you on the day, look at Adelaide last year dominant side of the year most attacking and yet on the day couldn't kick more than 8 goals.

Its just facts that its incredibly hard to win a flag for a interstate side so many odds stacked against you on the day, look at Adelaide last year dominant side of the year most attacking and yet on the day couldn't kick more than 8 goals.

If you have the will you find the way.

2012 was testament to that. Umpires and all.

2012 we played the perfect game and still had to rely on them missing shots at goal and the margin was only a kick and a bit.

The first quarter was miles from perfect. Most of their missed shots were under pressure. Franklin and Gunston the exceptions. We were the better side that day all be it just but we done what you have too to win. You make the GF its a 2 horse race. You have to be the last one standing interstate side or not.

Historically speaking we're in a better position than Eagles or RIchmond. The premier is usually the best side in second half of the season, like us in 2005, and usually isn't in the top 2 after round 10.

Now with the week's break before the finals, it looks like the premier is the best player in September.

Our problem is we can't get out of second gear. Our defence is holding up as usual but we need JPK, Parker and Hannebery to step up and for our forwards and mids to hit the scoreboard more. Not impossible but hasn't looked likely to date.

Coincidence rather than a logical progression to a premiership. Reality is, those teams around us are destroying opposition, we are not. This season feels more like that Kangaroos start of a few years ago where they were clearly the worst undefeated team of all time and missed the finals. Our games against Eagles and Tigers will be one hell of a reality check.

I hate to keep referencing Richmond last year, but if you are comparing half seasons, theirs is far closer to ours than North in 2016.
Rd 11 2017 - Richmond - 7W 4L - 111.6%
Rd 11 2016 - North - 10W 1L - 130.8%

I'm not saying we are going to win it (though I am a positive person so I ALWAYS think we are a big chance), but the half way mark of the season is just too early to say we can't.

Clinical in their grand final years? What a load of garbage. 2005 we hardly blew teams away, the complete opposite. Same in 2006. Selective memory issues.
We were 3 seconds away from not making the prelim in 2005. If you’re counting that kind of luck then you’re going to be disappointed more often than not.

Historically speaking we're in a better position than Eagles or RIchmond. The premier is usually the best side in second half of the season, like us in 2005, and usually isn't in the top 2 after round 10.

Now with the week's break before the finals, it looks like the premier is the best player in September.

Our problem is we can't get out of second gear. Our defence is holding up as usual but we need JPK, Parker and Hannebery to step up and for our forwards and mids to hit the scoreboard more. Not impossible but hasn't looked likely to date.
Other than hanners, I think you’ve missed the one ingredient we are desperately missing right now and that is sam Reid. Hoping he comes back fit and firing but even so Callum Mills out has knocked the absolute wind out of me. Structurally we’re off and that’s why I think we’re seeing this all over the joint performances.

Other than hanners, I think you’ve missed the one ingredient we are desperately missing right now and that is sam Reid. Hoping he comes back fit and firing but even so Callum Mills out has knocked the absolute wind out of me. Structurally we’re off and that’s why I think we’re seeing this all over the joint performances.
Yes...we are missing Reid!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah, Reid could be the difference. No wonder players keep kicking it into Buddy when he's the only tall option. And without TIppett and Naismith we're also stuck for that get-out mark in the back half.

2012 we played the perfect game and still had to rely on them missing shots at goal and the margin was only a kick and a bit.

We didn’t play the perfect game , let’s not make it seem like we were a bunch of spuds who got over the line, that was a damn good side

Imo I’m not sure we can win unless we find a way to score more and no so hard fought scoring ways

We struggle most weeks to even kick 15+

I think we will look to shut down the attacking teams

Not sure we could do that through 3 or 4 games through a final series

Richmond fir example are even a more even spread

19 goals yesterday with there main forward kicking 1

Didn’t say it would work, just meant that’s what we will do

But, great player that Sticky Hands Sam is, the reality is, he’s made out of dry spaghetti and snaps in half on application of the slightest force. He is never going to put together an injury-free season. An injured Sam Reid is pretty much the normal state of affairs (I’m sorry to say, coz I love how he plays) so we need to plan ways to win without him, and consider a fit Sam Reid merely a bonus.

Florent, Ronke, Hayward, Papley.

Those boys will be key to kicking big scores as the season develops.

Gotta remember our forward line and those kicking into it is probably what Stevie J & the coaches want it to be now minus Reid - How many games have they played together? Not many, Rome wasn't built in a day.

Card worthy
Either the crew is saving its bickies for the finals or we are the one of the most uninspiring sides ever to have squeezed I. To the top four or five that I have ever seen. I am hoping to god that horse has an ace up his sleeve. Admittedly, we are carrying a few - Hannebery, Stods, Ronkytonk (won’t be a seven goal freak every week), Jack. Contrary to what others feel, we are not carrying Rohan. I created so many turnovers just from chasing the ball carrier and causing inefficient disposals. The problem I reckon, as many have said, is that our ball use is woeful, especially when there’s no extra tall to bring the ball to ground and give ronks and co. a chance. Poor use of resources. There was a big weakness for us on Fri night: Our defensive pressure through the midfield was shocking. We allowed some quality entries that we are best known for shutting down. As a result they hit up their forwards on the lead and didn’t give Grundy or ramps a chance to defend. We want them to lollipop it in and we didn’t hassle them enough. Just lazy stuff from a largely insipid midfield. We need to see our engine room firing properly within the next few weeks if we are a chance.

Either the crew is saving its bickies for the finals or we are the one of the most uninspiring sides ever to have squeezed I. To the top four or five that I have ever seen. I am hoping to god that horse has an ace up his sleeve. Admittedly, we are carrying a few - Hannebery, Stods, Ronkytonk (won’t be a seven goal freak every week), Jack. Contrary to what others feel, we are not carrying Rohan. I created so many turnovers just from chasing the ball carrier and causing inefficient disposals. The problem I reckon, as many have said, is that our ball use is woeful, especially when there’s no extra tall to bring the ball to ground and give ronks and co. a chance. Poor use of resources. There was a big weakness for us on Fri night: Our defensive pressure through the midfield was shocking. We allowed some quality entries that we are best known for shutting down. As a result they hit up their forwards on the lead and didn’t give Grundy or ramps a chance to defend. We want them to lollipop it in and we didn’t hassle them enough. Just lazy stuff from a largely insipid midfield. We need to see our engine room firing properly within the next few weeks if we are a chance.
I’m sorry Joyce but how the * are we carrying Ronke? Quiet on Friday yes but hardly being carried, in fact, it may well be the other way around!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back