Preview Round 11, 2019: Brisbane Lions v Hawthorn, 1 June 2019, 7.25pm @ Gabba

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Of course, but Pittonet is completely ineffectual as a forward. McEvoy and Ceglar aren't.
but they don't all need to play as forwards. When we played Macca/Cegs/Lewis against GWS it worked very well and I believe Macca was midfield/behind the ball for the majority, where as cegs and lewis were primarily forwards. We already have Gunston, Lewis, Ceglar as tall forward options, so we don't really need that from Pitto right now.

Like it. We're the best contested marking team in the comp. Time to exploit our strength. Long bombs to Poppy no longer.

Can't wait.
Cannot fathom how we are the best contested marking team in the comp while continually bombing it long on top of Poppy's head. If those kicks were to someone 10cm taller we'd be doubling the comp's average contested marks

but they don't all need to play as forwards. When we played Macca/Cegs/Lewis against GWS it worked very well and I believe Macca was midfield/behind the ball for the majority, where as cegs and lewis were primarily forwards. We already have Gunston, Lewis, Ceglar as tall forward options, so we don't really need that from Pitto right now.

Pittonet will need to play somewhere when he isn't rucking and Ceglar is. If it's only bench, it hurts rotations. He will not have the Stamina to run with someone like Martin all game. And Brisbane have also brought in Smith.

Clarko and that know better then me, so I'm sure they will have a plan. May be a late out, who knows.

Anyhow, no point derailing the thread with this.

Pittonet will need to play somewhere when he isn't rucking and Ceglar is. If it's only bench, it hurts rotations. He will not have the Stamina to run with someone like Martin all game. And Brisbane have also brought in Smith.

Clarko and that know better then me, so I'm sure they will have a plan. May be a late out, who knows.

Anyhow, no point derailing the thread with this.
Not really. Pitto rucks 80% bench 20%. Cegs rucks 20% Fwd 70% Bench 10%. Pretty standard. We have played two ruckman for around 147 of the past 150 games not sure why anyone would think that would change.

Like it. We're the best contested marking team in the comp. Time to exploit our strength. Long bombs to Poppy no longer.

Can't wait.
Yep - i must say i feel a bit more confident about this game. You're right that the long bombs are gone, as clarko has been tweaking things ( imho of course ).

bring it on..

Not really. Pitto rucks 80% bench 20%. Cegs rucks 20% Fwd 70% Bench 10%. Pretty standard. We have played two ruckman for around 147 of the past 150 games not sure why anyone would think that would change.

Are you serious? Look how many games Ceglar played last year. The year prior, 2017, he did an ACL? and missed the year. McEvoy went solo.

Even this year, we moved away from it, and then back to it.

I have reservations around Pittonet in that he is very limited as a player, an old fashioned ruckman that can't influence up forward. But, Clarko is a genius so if they think this is the right method so be it. I just hope we aren't sitting here Sunday morning bitching about the Lions slingshot ball movement.

Last edited:
Brand stiff to miss out after his game last week albeit no obvious role with TOB still in the team - would love to see him get an extended run as he has good attributes for a KPD and would hopefully be able to work out his kinks with a bit of confidence
Unfortunately you get the feelimg that KBs papers have been stamped by Clarko if he cant get a game on the back of his 30 possession 18 mark game.
A pity as i like you think he has some good traits.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nick Robertson played on Breust last year and was constantly in Breust’s face and manhandling him. An irritating little fella. Unlikeable. Obviously a clear tactic from Fagan. No doubt more of the same on Saturday night.

Unfortunately you get the feelimg that KBs papers have been stamped by Clarko if he cant get a game on the back of his 30 possession 18 mark game.
A pity as i like you think he has some good traits.

KB seems to have improved in the air, but still a liability once the ball hits the ground. Not gonna get past Frawley until that changes.

Make a stand this week and not let that pest Robertson man handle Breust.
What he got away with last year, Tasmania game particularly was disgraceful.
Also play through Hodges opponent, the great man one on one is completely finished, the minds still sharp but the bodies cooked.

Like to think Clarko circled this one pre season after our meek efforts last year against this mob, twice.
Hawks by 23 points

Good changes. Great have Lewis back in as another leading forward who can take a contested grab.

Smith, along with Scully and Hendo gives us some serious running power if we can win enough of it inside.

Big test. Reckon they should win at home but we have stepped up against better opposition this year (except for the Richmond game) so we are a massive chance.

Frawley will go to Hipwood, Hardwick on Cameron. Maybe Shiels might tag Neale.

I reckon Frawley will take McStay. O'Brien, Hipwood and Stratton, Cameron.

McStay plays at full-forward, and is a really dangerous mark close to goal. He is in much better form than Hipwood and I don't think we like seeing O'Brien play on a much physically stronger opponent close to goal.

Surely this week Stratton just gets Cameron. If he shuts him out it will have a massive say in the game. He is there barometer. He ignites the crowd and his teammates.

Make a stand this week and not let that pest Robertson man handle Breust.
What he got away with last year, Tasmania game particularly was disgraceful.
Also play through Hodges opponent, the great man one on one is completely finished, the minds still sharp but the bodies cooked.

Like to think Clarko circled this one pre season after our meek efforts last year against this mob, twice.
Hawks by 23 points

Would love to see Impey take on Hodge - he wouldn’t hold any fear and could run him ragged. Unlikely to be the matchup but would be fascinating to watch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back