Review Round 11, 2019 - Brisbane Lions vs. Hawthorn

Who were your five best players against Hawthorn

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah, he got caught HTB in the 4th but that was due to an obscenely bad hospital handball from Witho so can't blame him for that. Nick has his limitations offensively but generally does a good job defensively.

I'm not sure he is going to be more than a depth player the rest of the year but the criticism was way OTT yesterday.

Cant remember exactly what happened in the 3rd but he had a string of forgettable moments. He had a mare and didn't standout defensively.

What about the Lewis taylor goal which was reversed on review? kneeing a ball in is not considered a kick???? (was at the game so never got whatever the discussion and reasoning was)

Decisions that really pissed me off during the game included

- mcstay non mark 0 so bad even the hawthorn players stopped playing
- rayners mark low which was not awarded?
- burgyone holding
- siciliy deliberate )especially since we had a pretty bas delibrate paid against us not too long before)

its really gettin out of hand how poor the umpiring is

What about the Lewis taylor goal which was reversed on review? kneeing a ball in is not considered a kick???? (was at the game so never got whatever the discussion and reasoning was)

- burgyone holding
- siciliy deliberate )especially since we had a pretty bas delibrate paid against us not too long before)

It wasn't reversed. It was reviewed and the umpires original call was a point. Knee or above isn't a kick.

I watched the game again today and the main thing I took out of it was that Nick Robertson has got a bloody raw deal from most of the posters who commented re his game performance. At the game I thought he was pretty good except for ONE bad piece of play where he got caught with the ball, when I came home and saw the bagging he was copping on here I thought I must have missed a lot of clangers.

Watching the replay I thought Nick was good, played his role excellently and kept Luke Breust to 10 possessions, 1 goal and no real influence. Both Paul Roos and Jono Brown commented late in the game that Nick was very good.

#standbynick
Good stuff Jason. I was proud of Nicks game last night. One error at the start of the game. Keeping Breust to that level of no influence is no mugs effort. Breust is a top bloke and congratulated Nick on his game and stated he finds it very hard to play against him. Very good rap for Nick. Proud Dad in spite of some of the ordinary comments from Lions "supporters" on this forum.

- burgyone holding

If you don’t know that kneeing the ball isn’t a kick then no wonder you get frustrated with decisions. We have a pretty large % of supporters that have NFI when it comes to the rules.

Roos was frequently critical of Harris Andrews because he frequently had the pill. Ergo he had lots of opportunities to bag him.

HA would be worth $squillions on the open market.

Hold on- don't Collingwood need a FB?

Just kidding.

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

Good stuff Jason. I was proud of Nicks game last night. One error at the start of the game. Keeping Breust to that level of no influence is no mugs effort. Breust is a top bloke and congratulated Nick on his game and stated he finds it very hard to play against him. Very good rap for Nick. Proud Dad in spite of some of the ordinary comments from Lions "supporters" on this forum.

Two great games in a row by Nick on Breust going back to last year. Dizzy did a great job on Gunston too which meant that the Hawks really didn't have many avenues to goal.

His early errors were clearly due to him failing to adjust to the pace of AFL over NEAFL. The commentators made that point during the broadcast. Thereafter I thought he played his role very well and will definitely hold his place.

It's a good theory but he's regularly got caught in similar manner throughout his career no matter how long a run in the team. He can do a job defensively but with ball in hand he regularly kills momentum or straight up costs us goals.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Robbo is at the point in his career where he is too good for NEAFL but not quite starting 22 AFL quality just yet.

He isn't the only one and we've had plenty in the past that were similar, most notably over the last 9 years.

I'd put Keays, Cutler, Taylor, Matho, Basti & Lester in the same group with Robbo. The key now for all them is to break out of that group and cement their spot in the 22, I'd say for Basti & Lester they are running out of time but the rest still all have chances moving forward.

Taylor had an amazing game last night that showed what he is capable of, N.Robbo needs to do the same and have a breakout game at some point.

Some of the comments made are unfortunately very poor. He took his time readjusting back to the pace of senior level but looked comfortable soon enough. We’ve lacked someone that can do jobs on players like Breust for a long time. Hopefully Nick can continue to build. Certainly gives his all.

Robbo is at the point in his career where he is too good for NEAFL but not quite starting 22 AFL quality just yet.

He isn't the only one and we've had plenty in the past that were similar, most notably over the last 9 years.

I'd put Keays, Cutler, Taylor, Matho, Basti & Lester in the same group with Robbo. The key now for all them is to break out of that group and cement their spot in the 22, I'd say for Basti & Lester they are running out of time but the rest still all have chances moving forward.

Taylor had an amazing game last night that showed what he is capable of, N.Robbo needs to do the same and have a breakout game at some point.

Do you think another team would take Robbo if he was delisted?

Do you think another team would take Robbo if he was delisted?
You could ask that question for all the names I listed and you'd probably get a similar result.

The likes of Carlton & GC would probably take a punt on a few of them.

There hasn't been a player who has played the game who doesn't make clangers, Nick is not a flashy highlight reel type of player but he does his job very well when in form. The step up from NEAFL is a massive jump and the players coming back in require an extended run, look at Lewy Taylor last night. Not every player in a premiership side is a Simon Black, Justin Leppitsch, Jason Akermanis or Michael Voss.

Chris Fagan has said he likes to concentrate on players "weapons" and that is what he is aiming to do with Nick.

The Bad: terrible start. Where have we seen that before.

The Good: fought back against terrible start. Atrocious officiating. Won without Berry's heavy inside input, with only moderate contributions from McCluggage, Neale, and Hipwood (when he hits his straps look out).

Very solid improvement from Answerth, Rayner and dare I say it Archie. Keays did ok. Gardiner back to near his best.

Squizzy. Do it again. Please. Close to bog. And didn't waste a kick. Linked very well.

Re the umpires. Again. Missed two obvious marks= goals. Question: why is it we cop the crap trainees week after week? Out of sight out of mind? Time for a coffee with the CEO. Or an official complaint.

We beat a middling to better side easily bar our kicking.

And have we finally learned to ice a game?

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

Neale’s 30 touches a moderate contribution?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Yeah, he got caught HTB in the 4th but that was due to an obscenely bad hospital handball from Witho so can't blame him for that. Nick has his limitations offensively but generally does a good job defensively.

I'm not sure he is going to be more than a depth player the rest of the year but the criticism was way OTT yesterday.

There were three Hawks goals directly attributable to his poor work in defense not just the one you refer to.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I was and have been critical of Nick over sometime but never abusive or derogatory toward him. Ive also complimented him when he plays well. I don't use 'spud', 'hack' etc. He is a fantasitc person and die hard loyal Lion, I love him in that respect. Sometimes I find he lacks awareness and compure and his decision making can be an issue and he can get caught out defensively. He makes me nervous and that's what evokes the strong response. You can never question his effort though. Im not going to watch the replay and come back and list the times I found he had bad moments in all areas of the game, but there were plenty (I think those moments were reflected in the fan reaction on the live thread) , least of which as Withos hospital hand pass thar set him up. At the same time, if he did the job on Breust (I actually didn't think he was on him much) then full credit to him. Im willing to adjust my assesment and ill watch closely for it on replay. Small forwards are our cryptonite and he was put in the team to do a job and did. Also with 'pace of the game' stuff, it is hard to adjust to AFL level after playing NEAFL for so long. ROBBO is polarising, its the cut and thrust of AFL fandom. Players shouldn't be abused but I have seen plenty of venom aimed at lots of players on this thread. I hope he plays consistant high level footy going forward and I will try to not drop my bundle on him so quickly going forward.

Last edited:
Back