Review Round 11, 2019 - Brisbane Lions vs. Hawthorn

Who were your five best players against Hawthorn

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

If the All Australian selectors have been lured into the silly Darcy Moore AA CHB campaign being waged by some sycophants in the media, they should watch the last quarter of both the Lions and Pies games yesterday and compare him to Harris Andrews. Moore dropping crucial marks all over the place, Andrews a colossus. In fact they should watch our last quarter vs Freo as well for more evidence.

Harris hasn’t resorted to a look-at-me haircut to get noticed either.

Or the third quarter of the adelaide game. When Darcy Moore has been salivated over by Garry Lyon et al it has been on the back of two decent intercept marks a game. Harris' last 3 games are miles better than anything Moore has produced in his entire career.

Or the third quarter of the adelaide game. When Darcy Moore has been salivated over by Garry Lyon et al it has been on the back of two decent intercept marks a game. Harris' last 3 games are miles better than anything Moore has produced in his entire career.

AFL player ratings have flaws but Harris' third quarter was worth 15 ranking points alone - that number is close to best on ground in some games. I think he's had 20 or better ranking points each of the last 3 weeks which is best player in the comp numbers (Cripps averages a touch more than 20 IIRC).

Luke Hodge has never lost against Hawthorn

We need to get Jivlain back to tell us the longest current winning streaks against Hawthorn.

I went back and checked the last post and Hawthorn had 0 players with a 5+ game winning streak against them. We're getting there!

Last edited:

I am still steaming about the Burgoyne free in front of goal. It needs to be publicly dissected and debated because I honestly don’t know what else our players were supposed to do. That sort of interpretation on “holding the man” when the player just blatantly drops the ball to manipulate the rule is a serious blight on the game

If that sort of free kick cost us a grand final I would self-immolate like a Vietnamese monk in the lobby of AFL House.

And to think Clarkson described the clear 50m to Charlie as soft when he had umpires kissing players like Burgoyne on their proverbial.

Those are poor, and I assume it's a new interpretation this year because it seems like every game has two or three of those calls in it. Player starts getting tackled, drops the ball, and the opponent finishing the tackle gets pinged. Always seems massively inconsistent as to when they get paid as well given probably 50% of tackles fit the above description without being called.

The non-call on Sicily walking out of bounds was as bad as the missed mark. Had slipped a tackle, was looking at the line and under no pressure walked straight out.

Merrett used to get pinged consistently for that, even when it was way more subtle.

I saw that one (only caught chunks of the game) and my immediate thought was that it's what Heath Shaw has been pinged for half a dozen times in the last two seasons. Ignoring the fact as to why Shaw keeps doing it, they've set the standard for an unpressured or only lightly pressured walk over the line is a free kick.

I saw that one (only caught chunks of the game) and my immediate thought was that it's what Heath Shaw has been pinged for half a dozen times in the last two seasons. Ignoring the fact as to why Shaw keeps doing it, they've set the standard for an unpressured or only lightly pressured walk over the line is a free kick.

Yep. It wasn't like he was in the tackle and used the momentum to walk over the line - defenders get away with that all the time. He had broken the tackle completely and had at least a metre of space and just walked over the line when he could have disposed of the ball.

Yep. It wasn't like he was in the tackle and used the momentum to walk over the line - defenders get away with that all the time. He had broken the tackle completely and had at least a metre of space and just walked over the line when he could have disposed of the ball.
The most annoying thing about this, having now watched the replay, was the umpire saying it wasn't a free kick because he was "already over the line". I mean come on. How blinkered can you get? That wasn't the free kick on offer you dill

I think the worse thing was it looked (to me) that Robinson initiated the tackle by grabbing his arms and draggin him back, he let go quite quickly, but the momentum had already begun. He had him few ... i wouldn't even say a second after the other guy lets go. Its just Burgoyne fell with Robinson as they went to the ground. Raise the arms, weaken at the knees, and sell that candy.

That’s the biggest load of crap. Out of zone free kicks are common and not a sign of a bad umpire. Yes, it can mean you miss free kicks, but most of he time it means their view is obstructed and their teammate is helping them out. That’s half the reason there’s three umpires.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

It only seems to happen a handful of times a game, probably less than four. As I mentioned I only saw chunks so I'm not sure how prevalent it was - if we're talking 6 or more I would argue that that is very uncommon.

That’s the biggest load of crap. Out of zone free kicks are common and not a sign of a bad umpire. Yes, it can mean you miss free kicks, but most of he time it means their view is obstructed and their teammate is helping them out. That’s half the reason there’s three umpires.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
So you think the umpiring was good? Like I say I sit next to a retired umpire, a hall of fame who explains every decision and when he starts bowing up I know the umpiring is crap. Plus the 2 times the out of zone umpire corrected the guy on the scene he was looking right at the play and unobstructed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Make him run 10kms first next time, and randomly clobber him with a phone book every minute or so. Then invite 25,000 to come watch the set shot.

Orrrrrr you could just not make every thread about you.

Make him run 10kms first next time, and randomly clobber him with a phone book every minute or so. Then invite 25,000 to come watch the set shot.

Orrrrrr you could just not make every thread about you.

I must have missed McStay missing a shot from 15m out dead in front.

The most annoying thing about this, having now watched the replay, was the umpire saying it wasn't a free kick because he was "already over the line". I mean come on. How blinkered can you get? That wasn't the free kick on offer you dill
Paul Roos had a crack at the umpire about that also, he was stunned it wasn't a free for deliberate.

Bullant ?
Yep. To his credit, he had already played a full game in the U8s. He’s bottom age and was possibly our best player, despite being hammered from pillar to post.

Probably our best win for the year all things considered. Coming off two tough games and a long flight back from Perth and a six day break and we let them kick five goals to nil in the first qtr. Character building win after that. Building some belief within the four walls now.

We certainly could make life easier for ourselves if we kicked straight in front of goal. McStay almost expects to miss.

The second and third efforts were the highlights last night. Kept at them all night and in the end they didn't have the talent to go with us. Brilliant job by Darcy Gardiner on Gunston. Close to the most underrated player in the AFL. 90% off the Victorian public wouldn't know a thing about him.

Lyons best game for our club - he was set to play well when you consider the Hawks are a poor contested side who rely on structure and the outside run of Smith Henderson O'Meara Scully etc.

Really happy for Lewy Taylor but he must make this kind of performance the norm and not once every six weeks. He has set the standard for himself. Play like that every week and we suddenly become a 2/3 goal better side.

Keays ripped in and made some errors but deserves another game. Archie was decent and did some good tap work but he is not a shadow on Oscar as a forward target.

Harris excellent again with great intercept marking - positions himself so well. He does however need to smarten on his disposal out of the back line. turned it over too many times.

Walker back in next week for Robertson.

Last edited:
Back