Review Round 11, 2019 - Brisbane Lions vs. Hawthorn

Who were your five best players against Hawthorn

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I was also left scratching my head at the non 50 not paid to Hodge in the last quarter. Surely that was s textbook example of when you pay a 50m. We couldn’t lose the game by that stage, but even still, should’ve been paid.
Doesn't top the "run across the mark" non-50, but it's definitely up there.

Jun 27, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
So you think the umpiring was good? Like I say I sit next to a retired umpire, a hall of fame who explains every decision and when he starts bowing up I know the umpiring is crap. Plus the 2 times the out of zone umpire corrected the guy on the scene he was looking right at the play and unobstructed.

I’m not saying it was good. It was mediocre at best, but I was mainly rebutting you’re comment about out of zone free kicks.

I am curious though, who is the retired umpire?

Mar 27, 2006
Bribie Island
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Aussie Cricket Team
They were from Marist's Brothers Ashgrove. According to the lady beside me in the bus they purchased 500 discounted tickets.
They added great atmosphere to the game up behind one goal end. Yes it was indigenous round and a little strange to have them perform what i believe was their school war cry at three quarter time.
But they were their to show great support for Charlie Cameron who attended school as a border.
I think it is good for the game to get 500 people from a school dominated by Rugby Union.
Reckon its awesome, get them to every game.

Jul 26, 2005
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Middlesbrough, The Roys
I am still steaming about the Burgoyne free in front of goal. It needs to be publicly dissected and debated because I honestly don’t know what else our players were supposed to do. That sort of interpretation on “holding the man” when the player just blatantly drops the ball to manipulate the rule is a serious blight on the game

If that sort of free kick cost us a grand final I would self-immolate like a Vietnamese monk in the lobby of AFL House.

And to think Clarkson described the clear 50m to Charlie as soft when he had umpires kissing players like Burgoyne on their proverbial.
Umpires did everything they could to gift Hawthorn the win, but they're still an average team.

What puzzles me more than thr Burgoyne free, is when Sicily casually walked out with the ball in our forward 50 and the umpire calls it a throw in. He had prior, brushed aside a tackle, had time to dispose of it, but chooses to walk it out.

Imagine if one of our Robbos did that, the level of inconsistency is staggering. Don't think I've ever seen the Gabba that livid at the one-sided umpiring in my 10 years of attending games there.
Both of these calls were particularly galling. Both were absolutely clearly incorrect as seen by any rational person. You couldn't even argue about missing the Sicily one in the speed of the game because he literally walked 3m to step over the line. Add in the "marks" to Rayner and McStay - again the McStay one in front of me was as clear as it gets - and the performance has to be questioned. Players and coaches are held accountable for their actions, professional umpires should be too.

Jul 26, 2005
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Middlesbrough, The Roys
Those are poor, and I assume it's a new interpretation this year because it seems like every game has two or three of those calls in it. Player starts getting tackled, drops the ball, and the opponent finishing the tackle gets pinged. Always seems massively inconsistent as to when they get paid as well given probably 50% of tackles fit the above description without being called.
I think the worse thing was it looked (to me) that Robinson initiated the tackle by grabbing his arms and draggin him back, he let go quite quickly, but the momentum had already begun. He had him few ... i wouldn't even say a second after the other guy lets go. Its just Burgoyne fell with Robinson as they went to the ground. Raise the arms, weaken at the knees, and sell that candy.
If you watch it again, Robbo releases the tackle when Burgoyne releases the ball, but arms aloft he continues as is being slung to the ground. Should never be a free to them. Should have been a free to us.

jjami15

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 16, 2011
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Not overly happy with Hipwood at the moment. Last two weeks he has given away some ridiculous free kicks and to top it off when I watched the replay he was Motioning to his opponent if he wants his autograph (well that’s what the commentators stated). Fella, you haven’t done anything yet and have a lot of areas to work on. I would actually say that McStay has gone past him.

FLVanLandingham

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 3, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Haha in saying that, probably pertinent to discuss how Robbo is potentially our worst offender for playing for frees as well. But such is the nature of the game, we analyse what goes against us! (also at least this week i think all of Robbo's frees were actually there anyway)

Our young key forwards are on the cusp of being very very good. Exciting time ahead I feel. Still a lot to work on and improve but almost all the ingredients are here now.

I really like Nick Robertson but gee he seems to go full slow mo when he gets the ball in hand. If he can't get the mind ticking a bit quicker in that regard it'l be hard to pick him in the side. I actually think he needs to adapt his game and focus on becoming a defensive forward.

Archie Smith looked promising. At least with him and Oscar in the side we don't need to scramble for a replacement ruck when Stef calls time.

Tassie4ever

Premiership Player
Dec 7, 2007
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Hawthorn
The Bad: terrible start. Where have we seen that before.

The Good: fought back against terrible start. Atrocious officiating. Won without Berry's heavy inside input, with only moderate contributions from McCluggage, Neale, and Hipwood (when he hits his straps look out).

Very solid improvement from Answerth, Rayner and dare I say it Archie. Keays did ok. Gardiner back to near his best.

Squizzy. Do it again. Please. Close to bog. And didn't waste a kick. Linked very well.

Re the umpires. Again. Missed two obvious marks= goals. Question: why is it we cop the crap trainees week after week? Out of sight out of mind? Time for a coffee with the CEO. Or an official complaint.

We beat a middling to better side easily bar our kicking.

And have we finally learned to ice a game?

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

Judge

Club Legend
Mar 29, 2008
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I hated it but just watching the replay and commentators said it is Charlie Cameron’s old school. Would have preferred busing in a school that has higher indigenous population but there was a little bit of thought in it.

There’s somewhere between 25-30 indigenous boys boarding at Marist Ashgrove aged 12-17, and most of them played Australian football for the school this year (before the start of the rugby season).

Charlie returns to the school quite often and is understandably a bit of a folk hero to these young blokes who are following exactly the same path he did a few years ago.

Tassie4ever

Premiership Player
Dec 7, 2007
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Hawthorn
The Bad: terrible start. Where have we seen that before.

The Good: fought back against terrible start. Atrocious officiating. Won without Berry's heavy inside input, with only moderate contributions from McCluggage, Neale, and Hipwood (when he hits his straps look out).

Very solid improvement from Answerth, Rayner and dare I say it Archie. Keays did ok. Gardiner back to near his best.

Squizzy. Do it again. Please. Close to bog. And didn't waste a kick. Linked very well.

Re the umpires. Again. Missed two obvious marks= goals. Question: why is it we cop the crap trainees week after week? Out of sight out of mind? Time for a coffee with the CEO. Or an official complaint.

We beat a middling to better side easily bar our kicking.

And have we finally learned to ice a game?

Shoul have added: how long can a backperson punch someone in the back, arm whatever. Ref Frawley on Cameron. As JB observed if it had happened to him there'd be a sore throat involved.

Re the umpires. Again. Still. Even Roos commented 1st qu they'd lost control.

deklares

Premiership Player
Oct 7, 2009
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, Robert Whittaker
Shoul have added: how long can a backperson punch someone in the back, arm whatever. Ref Frawley on Cameron. As JB observed if it had happened to him there'd be a sore throat involved.

Re the umpires. Again. Still. Even Roos commented 1st qu they'd lost control.

It was Stratton wasn't it?

Anyway you had the good and the bad; he is the ugly.

lioninthesand

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 22, 2016
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
What a bizaar, frustrating game. But, an incredibly gutsy win. Our most honest, hard hat and lunch-box win of the year.

If you consider our abysmal goal kicking and psychological block in front of goal (Lewys knee, Zorkos non goal due to hippy dumb free Lewy and Hipwoods smoothered kicks and a bunch of others), 6 out on full kicks in third 1/4 and everything else.. we really should have won by 60 points. The fact we can relatively easily dispose of an informed Hawks out-fit, whilst playing at about 50% of our capacity, is a great sign.

Lewy, Lyons, Andrews, Neale, Zorks all great. Mathieson now lock best 22 - he has built a tank. Darcy stoic.

Back line incredible.

Robertson a great club man and awesome fella, just.. the same as the last 4 years, clearly not up to AFL.

Archie and Stef worked, Archies tap work superior to Matins and one of the reasons we won, got tap down to advantage about 4 times in a row in the 4th during crucial moments. Still lacks around the ground, not sure if you can make it as a long-term tap ruckman anymore.

Fagan adjusted at 1/4 time well, beat Clarko again, actually becoming a good in game coach, always tries different things, always willing to try plan B and C.

We won, so selection was perfect. right?

Umpire 14.. WTF!? Absolute disgrace. Officiating at the Gabba truely abysmal. Do they send their scraps up here out of sight?

Cam holds his spot, 2 goals, lock him in.

McStay, my boy.. it's all coming together, going to be a beast in 2-3 time.

Anyone notice the Hawks back-man were the biggest pack of petulant, embarrassing w***ers the world has seen? Charlie punching was a disgrace, patting out blokes on the head, mouthing off, pushing guys into the ground.. youd think they were a good footy team the way the carried on, Stratten a joke of a captain if that's his standards? got the last laugh!!! Suck s**t you're our bunny.

irish

Premiership Player
Sep 20, 2002
hobart
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NHFC demons & SH/SB sharks
There’s somewhere between 25-30 indigenous boys boarding at Marist Ashgrove aged 12-17, and most of them played Australian football for the school this year (before the start of the rugby season).

Charlie returns to the school quite often and is understandably a bit of a folk hero to these young blokes who are following exactly the same path he did a few years ago.
Anyone following how Charlie's brother is going at the Eagles ? Be interesting if he has extended his contract

Harriss Andrews 1 handed pickup off the ground, on the wing. Then the bullet 30m handpass. Breathtaking.

Along with his wingspan we have a physical beast back there. Automatic AA, INO.
Harris Andrews one handed full stretch jump to gather the ball. Magnificent. He’s a gun

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
I watched the game again today and the main thing I took out of it was that Nick Robertson has got a bloody raw deal from most of the posters who commented re his game performance. At the game I thought he was pretty good except for ONE bad piece of play where he got caught with the ball, when I came home and saw the bagging he was copping on here I thought I must have missed a lot of clangers.

Watching the replay I thought Nick was good, played his role excellently and kept Luke Breust to 10 possessions, 1 goal and no real influence. Both Paul Roos and Jono Brown commented late in the game that Nick was very good.

#standbynick

Oct 13, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I watched the game again today and the main thing I took out of it was that Nick Robertson has got a bloody raw deal from most of the posters who commented re his game performance. At the game I thought he was pretty good except for ONE bad piece of play where he got caught with the ball, when I came home and saw the bagging he was copping on here I thought I must have missed a lot of clangers.

Watching the replay I thought Nick was good, played his role excellently and kept Luke Breust to 10 possessions, 1 goal and no real influence. Both Paul Roos and Jono Brown commented late in the game that Nick was very good.

#standbynick

Yeah, he got caught HTB in the 4th but that was due to an obscenely bad hospital handball from Witho so can't blame him for that. Nick has his limitations offensively but generally does a good job defensively.

I'm not sure he is going to be more than a depth player the rest of the year but the criticism was way OTT yesterday.

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
Yeah, he got caught HTB in the 4th but that was due to an obscenely bad hospital handball from Witho so can't blame him for that. Nick has his limitations offensively but generally does a good job defensively.

I'm not sure he is going to be more than a depth player the rest of the year but the criticism was way OTT yesterday.
Yer, that was down my end, wasn't talking about that one, there was another early in the game up the other end where he tried to take someone on.

Apart from the Nick Robbo observation the other thing I took out of the replay was that Lewy Taylor was even better than I thought he was live at the ground, ran his backside off, made smart decisions with the ball and took the game on with some difficult kicks, also tackled well, BOG for me.

Back