Review Round 11, 2019 - Brisbane Lions vs. Hawthorn

Who were your five best players against Hawthorn

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
M.Robbo and Rayner in the top 10 highlight reel for the week. Rayner's goal taking the #1 spot. Dare I suspect we'll see it in the GOTY votes for this round as well.

snooplions

Club Legend
Dec 2, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
From Mark Robinson's The Tackle. It's alright this week.

4. IT’S NOT UNSOCIABLE HAWKS, IT’S THE ANNOYING HAWKS
Be it Conor Glass rubbing an opponent’s hair, or Ben Stratton continually punching and pushing Charlie Cameron, or James Sicily belting Lincoln McCarthy in the guts behind the play, the Hawks are annoying.
Sicily is looking at a suspension and his undisciplined acts continue to hurt him as a footballer and his footy team.
The Stratton interaction with Cameron was weird. As he manhandled Cameron, the field umpire was laughing.
Didn’t the league say it was clamping down on that rubbish off the ball and would pay free kicks? What is Cameron supposed to do, just stand there and take it as the umpire laughed?

6. HARRIS ANDREWS
The Brisbane backman is Dustin Fletcher reincarnated: Tall, athletic, a marker, a spoiler and with go-go gadget arms.
He’s not as clumsy at giving away the occasional strange free kick as Fletcher did, but the traits that made Fletcher a champion — and surely a walk-up Hall of Fame inductee in 2020 — are evident in Harris.
He had a couple of goals kicked on him against the Hawks, but he stopped another 10.
Andrews has that special quality of getting a fist to the ball just as his opponent is about to mark it. He was the highest-ranked player on the ground with 20 disposals and nine marks. Boy, he is quality.

https://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/a...-round-11-ng-7ec315267ecb628936e3dbd78b7d4f6a

Apr 4, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I was and have been critical of Nick over sometine but never abusive or derogatory toward him. Ive also complimented when he plays well. I don't use 'spud', 'hack' etc. He is a fantasitc person and die hard loyal Lion, I love him in that respect. Sometimes I find he lacks awareness and compure, and his decision making can be an issue and he can get caught out defensively. He makes me nervous and that what evokes tje dtrong response. You can never question his effort though. Im not going to watch the replay and come back and list the times I found he had bad moments in all areas of the game, but there were plenty (I think those moments were reflected in the fan reaction on the live thread) , least of which as Withos hospital hand pass thar set him up. At the same time, if he did the job on Breust (I actually didn't think he was on him much) them full credit to him. Im willing to adjust my assesment and ill watch closely for it on replay. Small forwards are our cryptonite and he was put in the team to do a job and did. Also with 'pace of the game' stuff, it is hard to adjust to AFL level after playing NEAFL for so long. ROBBO is polarising, its the cut and thrust of AFL fandom. Players shouldn't be abused but I have seen plenty of venom aimed at lots of players. I hope he plays consistant high level footy going forward and will try to not drop my bundle on him so quickly going forward.
I think I need to pull myself up as well.

These guys are just kids who lead a generally disciplined life and play for the club and for we supporters.

Some are obviously nowhere near as competent as others ,it's not their fault , it's a random game which calls for split second decisions that by their nature can sometimes go wrong.

I think everyone here is overall very supportive of our players ,they're well paid of course , but any random criticism on game day is borne out of personal frustration that things haven't gone our way.

It's a team game ,everyone who plays puts themselves up for criticism at some point, but personal derogatory comments should be avoided, you have to be brave to line up and we know they're all doing their best.

Apr 4, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

Be it Conor Glass rubbing an opponent’s hair, or Ben Stratton continually punching and pushing Charlie Cameron, or James Sicily belting Lincoln McCarthy in the guts behind the play, the Hawks are annoying.
Sicily is looking at a suspension and his undisciplined acts continue to hurt him as a footballer and his footy team.
The Stratton interaction with Cameron was weird. As he manhandled Cameron, the field umpire was laughing.
Didn’t the league say it was clamping down on that rubbish off the ball and would pay free kicks? What is Cameron supposed to do, just stand there and take it as the umpire laughed?

6. HARRIS ANDREWS
The Brisbane backman is Dustin Fletcher reincarnated: Tall, athletic, a marker, a spoiler and with go-go gadget arms.
He’s not as clumsy at giving away the occasional strange free kick as Fletcher did, but the traits that made Fletcher a champion — and surely a walk-up Hall of Fame inductee in 2020 — are evident in Harris.
He had a couple of goals kicked on him against the Hawks, but he stopped another 10.
Andrews has that special quality of getting a fist to the ball just as his opponent is about to mark it. He was the highest-ranked player on the ground with 20 disposals and nine marks. Boy, he is quality.

https://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/a...-round-11-ng-7ec315267ecb628936e3dbd78b7d4f6a
Thank god Robbo put that up .

What on earth are the umpires thinking these days ?

Basically condoning ,well not even condoning encouraging, a guy getting punched in the arms ,jumper punched well off the ball . We all know it goes on all the time but that ump has some serious questions to answer.

Just watched the replay and thought I'd give a few shout outs to some of the more unheralded Performances.

McCarthy: his pressure was insane and some of his disposals were clutch even when under pressure. He competed really well and played one hell of a game for a forward who didn't score.

Nick Robbo: first quarter aside, he negated Breust and that is no easy feat. I'm not sure if his future as a defender, but as a player who will go in, play his role and give 110% you know exactly what you'll get when giving Nick a job.

Rayner: not a huge game stat wise, but got his two snags at very important times, tackled very well and also did some very smart tap work to get the ball to team mates. He looked full of confidence at the end of the game and if that can carry over to next week, I can see him absolutely blowing the Blues away up forward.

Keays: 21 pressure acts and 5 tackles says it all. He laid huge pressure on the opposition and while he didn't take his chances in front of goal, I'd love to see him get a few more shots to show what he can do. I don't consider him best 22 but definitely consider him as good depth.

It's exciting to think we could potentially have Adams, Bailey, Starc and Berry ready to go come our home game v the Dees, but also knowing we have the depth to win games without them.

Biggies

Team Captain
Aug 19, 2016
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Just on Zorko, he had another 6 tackles (3rd most) and 5 inside 50's (equal 3rd most) again this game.

That puts him for this year #1 in the AFL for Inside 50's, Tackles (#2 for tackles Inside 50) and Pressure acts. Whilst still #8 for Meters Gained and #4 for Goal Assists.

If you just think about that for a second those stats are pretty dang remarkable. Being #1 for Tackles and Pressure Acts suggests that he is close to the best defensive mid this year across the league. However whilst doing that, he's still managing to send the ball inside 50 more then any other player in the comp whilst remaining in the top 10 for goal assists and meters gained.

It's just about a perfectly rounded midfielders season where he's obviously a dangerous player with the ball, yet almost the best mid going around without it. Crazy that a bloke who's already won 4 B&F's and an AA in the past could now be on track to have his best season yet!

John_Proctor

Club Legend
Apr 17, 2009
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
re; raynor ‘mark’ not paid down low. He got his hands under it first grab but laid an egg under his body and it touched the ground.

I didn’t catch it all but on Sunday’s footy show Fagan specifically mentioned raynor, the fact he had been under pressure to hold his spot in recent weeks, but that fagan liked to see players like him push through it on the seniors than go back to reserves and he got some reward last night.

Kane cornes (again Sunday footy show) moved Andrews into his rolling AA team this week dropping Moore.

During the call they mentioned Zorko was leading the league in inside 50’s, tackles inside 50, pressure acts and something else. Neale and Lyons have freed him up to play forward of the ball a bit more. (ha. Previous post covers this. It was goal assists as the fourth stat - but not league leading by the looks of things)

Taylor in the 2nd quarter was massive. There was a play where he had 3 possessions in defensive 50 helping run it out of defence then followed the play up field and got involved again at our 50m line.

Liked the look of answerth a few times really took the game on through the middle.

Overall we probably could have won that by 10 goals. Shoddy goal kicking both actual points but also not reflected on scoreboard like the hipwood and keays smothers in the 2nd quarter.

Jan 13, 2016
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Good stuff Jason. I was proud of Nicks game last night. One error at the start of the game. Keeping Breust to that level of no influence is no mugs effort. Breust is a top bloke and congratulated Nick on his game and stated he finds it very hard to play against him. Very good rap for Nick. Proud Dad in spite of some of the ordinary comments from Lions "supporters" on this forum.
I for one am a big supporter of Nick. Makes some mistakes (as most of them do) but does a lot of work unseen by many watchers who only seem to focus on the negatives. It'a team game and he is a team player.

Jan 13, 2016
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

6. HARRIS ANDREWS

The lead up to Sicily wacking Linc started on the boundary line about 1-2 minutes earlier. Watch the replay & you will see Linc whisper sweet nothings into Sicily's ear after Sicily stuffed up & Sicily immediately bailed up but was too close to the umps to do anything. Sicily is a weak minded gutless sniping campaigner and now sits directly behind Cameron as the biggest sniping dog playing.

Had a mate at the game and had a bit of trouble explaining why some of the frees were given. Even he could see the inconsistency without even knowing all of the rules (we do have rules right?)

Had Hawks to the front, back (and who were talking half the game about American Football and places they had travelled with some American tourists) and the left ... they seemed to enjoy the first quarter ... I found the other three to be a far more enjoyable experience.

Sadly when McStay was lining up for his first 'goal' I fully expected a miss ... on a more positive note he is now regularly getting those shots to mangle. Get a set routine and mental discipline in place and I think he will be fine.

May 20, 2015
Maleny, Queensland
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Some of the comments made are unfortunately very poor. He took his time readjusting back to the pace of senior level but looked comfortable soon enough. We’ve lacked someone that can do jobs on players like Breust for a long time. Hopefully Nick can continue to build. Certainly gives his all.
Your right, people forget our reserve grade have won every game and flogged everyone including the Suns, GWS and the Swans. Our reserves are going into the firsts for their chance and the step up is huge.

Lewy was back to playing his trademark style on the weekend. It's hard to work out what he was doing last week and possibly his other earlier games. I wonder if he was trying too hard to play a defensive game previously and this week he was given more freedom to attack?
He was certainly running harder into space this game. But presumably he was also fulfilling his defensive requirements which we know the coaches are big on. Although he was listed as only having one tackle.

May 20, 2015
Maleny, Queensland
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I have said it before, but Nick Robbo will be our Robert Copeland when we having a crack at it. Bushie was never a highlight reel (in a team of highlight reels) but when you needed someone to go and do a job, he was the man - just go and ask FIGJAM.
The job Bushie did on Buckley in the Grand final was brilliant, buckley was blowing up like a $2 watch he couldn't get the ball and his team mates were avoiding him he was beaten so bad.

Jan 9, 2019
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Sick to death with all the whinging negative people on here, week after week it goes on.

Yes, sometimes some eyebrow raising selections, but come game day they usually have got it right.....otherwise we wouldn't be 4th on the ladder!

In Fages and Co we trust!
Agree 100% MacMum. I chose to not visit the game day thread in big footy anymore specifically because I find a lot of posts disgusting when it comes to our playing list and coach's. Its unbelievable that we are 7 wins out of 11 games yet the brave experts we have feel the need to tee off with their childish and dis-respectful comments about our team who are WINNING. I am at a loss as to why it has gotten worse this year compared to last when we were not even close to how we are now.
At the end of the day, we all have choices. Not visiting the game day thread is mine to have best I leave it to our "LOYAL & LOVING" supporters.

May 5, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I think I need to pull myself up as well.

These guys are just kids who lead a generally disciplined life and play for the club and for we supporters.

Some are obviously nowhere near as competent as others ,it's not their fault , it's a random game which calls for split second decisions that by their nature can sometimes go wrong.

I think everyone here is overall very supportive of our players ,they're well paid of course , but any random criticism on game day is borne out of personal frustration that things haven't gone our way.

It's a team game ,everyone who plays puts themselves up for criticism at some point, but personal derogatory comments should be avoided, you have to be brave to line up and we know they're all doing their best.
At the game I thought Nick did some good things, only noticed him getting caught once, maybe another time. As I say what I saw at the game.
All players even the best make mistakes , some just get pigeon holed for it , more than likely their highlight reel is not silk but workman like.

Speaking of clangers.
I lost it in the second.
Apologies to anyone in section 29 , my stand up spray at the umps was a bit over the top with the F bomb and full of rage, kind of embarrassed myself tbh and maybe a little lucky everbody else was going off as well.
No more F bombs , keep it in perspective , you can have passion , but remember where you are .
Only a game and would of been kids around us , not on.
So frustrated with the umps , but that's really no excuse.
Might just make a mental note to let other people go off at the umps and keep my voice for the celebrations.
So.
No more F bombs, keep it in perspective ,you can have passion, but remember where you are.
Might have to write that out 100 times.

Nov 26, 2012
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
re; raynor ‘mark’ not paid down low. He got his hands under it first grab but laid an egg under his body and it touched the ground.

I didn’t catch it all but on Sunday’s footy show Fagan specifically mentioned raynor, the fact he had been under pressure to hold his spot in recent weeks, but that fagan liked to see players like him push through it on the seniors than go back to reserves and he got some reward last night.

Kane cornes (again Sunday footy show) moved Andrews into his rolling AA team this week dropping Moore.

During the call they mentioned Zorko was leading the league in inside 50’s, tackles inside 50, pressure acts and something else. Neale and Lyons have freed him up to play forward of the ball a bit more. (ha. Previous post covers this. It was goal assists as the fourth stat - but not league leading by the looks of things)

Taylor in the 2nd quarter was massive. There was a play where he had 3 possessions in defensive 50 helping run it out of defence then followed the play up field and got involved again at our 50m line.

Liked the look of answerth a few times really took the game on through the middle.

Overall we probably could have won that by 10 goals. Shoddy goal kicking both actual points but also not reflected on scoreboard like the hipwood and keays smothers in the 2nd quarter.
Yep the Rayner non Mark was pretty clear on the replay. Was actually a very good call by the umpire. They made a lot of mistakes but that wasn't one

What we saw again is no matter how good your form is in the neafl it is always going to take players a bit of time too adjust to the pace and time difference when going from that to AFL level.

Keays is the example, especially early he looked once again fumbly and rushed but got better as the game went on. Think he will be better for the run.

I though Robertson adjusted better as the game wore on but he still gets posession and stops a bit too long to scan the field which leaves him to bomb it long after we've had a chain of short passes. Still he severely restricted breust which was a really good effort.

At the game I thought Nick did some good things, only noticed him getting caught once, maybe another time. As I say what I saw at the game.
All players even the best make mistakes , some just get pigeon holed for it , more than likely their highlight reel is not silk but workman like.

Speaking of clangers.
I lost it in the second.
Apologies to anyone in section 29 , my stand up spray at the umps was a bit over the top with the F bomb and full of rage, kind of embarrassed myself tbh and maybe a little lucky everbody else was going off as well.
No more F bombs , keep it in perspective , you can have passion , but remember where you are .
Only a game and would of been kids around us , not on.
So frustrated with the umps , but that's really no excuse.
Might just make a mental note to let other people go off at the umps and keep my voice for the celebrations.
So.
No more F bombs, keep it in perspective ,you can have passion, but remember where you are.
Might have to write that out 100 times.

I think we've all been at this point at some point, and as fagan says there's a lot of learning to take from it. Good on you for opening up about it and showing us all how to respond to our mistakes,

knaf

Club Legend
Mar 15, 2008
Standing on Sacred Ground
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Late to this discussion. Just wanted to comment on a couple of things.

Thought McCarthy was just off having a great game. Hit the contest hard a number of times but just didn’t bring off the big plays every time. Expecting a really big game from him sometime soon.

Lewy Taylor almost a career defining game. Was probably slipping into the consider for trading group. turned it around. a lot of possessions in the defensive 50, ran straight with the ball, made good decisions and still became an offensive threat. Goodonya Lewy.

Good to hear Fages has a plan with Rayner. From my perspective all players should be held to the same standard. Perhaps Fages is doing that but he is flexible when players don’t meet the standard. Some players go back to the NEAFL other players get specific outputs to lift their confidence while staying in the first. maybe that’s an attribute of a really good coach?

“McSpray” look it is humorous, but I am not sure it is helpful if he is getting a lot of stick from supporters at the ground. the guy is obviously trying his guts out. He runs hard and contests continually. No one in the NEAFL can play his role. However the harder he tries the worse his kicking becomes. Crowd pressure won’t be helping.

jackess

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 10, 2005
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
What we saw again is no matter how good your form is in the neafl it is always going to take players a bit of time too adjust to the pace and time difference when going from that to AFL level.

Keays is the example, especially early he looked once again fumbly and rushed but got better as the game went on. Think he will be better for the run.

I though Robertson adjusted better as the game wore on but he still gets posession and stops a bit too long to scan the field which leaves him to bomb it long after we've had a chain of short passes. Still he severely restricted breust which was a really good effort.

It also shows why most of the time we dont't make wholesale changes. Bringing in NRobbo, Keays and Smith all for their first game in a while maybe wasn't the best idea.

For Robbo and Keays though they may not get many chances to show they've improved on their main weakness which is their poise and ball use. So they'd want to get adjusted bloody quickly.

Back