Review Round 11, 2019: Essendon v Box Hill Hawks, 15 June 2019, 2.00pm @ Windy Hill

Gene Simmons

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 29, 2007
Melbourne Rock City
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Ross has to play against COLA. Hes the only guy on the list that can consistently kick goals this year

A forward who can consistently kick goals??

ORIGINALLLLL.jpg

AlwaysHawks15

Premiership Player
Nov 12, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Instead of Sicily up forward we should play Jackson Ross up there seeing as this is his natural role. Sicily can't play there anymore so if we going to go tall in the forward line have 2 guys up there with great goal nous (Gunston and Ross), Ross is 6ft 4 but plays like a flanker. The type of player we need up there. Is absolutely knocking the door down. The fact he is still quite skinny is irrelevant, Jaidyn Stephenson is built like a twig yet is very influential.

Spursfan

Club Legend
Mar 30, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur FC
Instead of Sicily up forward we should play Jackson Ross up there seeing as this is his natural role. Sicily can't play there anymore so if we going to go tall in the forward line have 2 guys up there with great goal nous (Gunston and Ross), Ross is 6ft 4 but plays like a flanker. The type of player we need up there. Is absolutely knocking the door down. The fact he is still quite skinny is irrelevant, Jaidyn Stephenson is built like a twig yet is very influential.

Love to see him get a game at some stage

Apr 10, 2017
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Saints
I agree that Ross has a big future, but i reckon he needs a fair few kg before he becomes a regular. Looking forward to him playing though..

AlwaysHawks15

Premiership Player
Nov 12, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Were a middle of the road team in both leagues this year. Not at the level we were last year in fact a fair way off it. Just goes to show our depth isn't all that flash. It's not terrible but simple average compared to a lot of other teams. Need to really pump some games into these guys so we can see if they can cut the mustard.

Nov 25, 2010
WA
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Agree that some skinny blokes are capable of impacting at AFL level, Sicily & Gunston were pretty skinny when they got AFL exposure too. I haven't caught any VFL action, but Ross looked to have a real opportunistic style of play during JLT and given how slow we move the ball, not sure he'd get the right opportunities to excel at AFL level. I remember Sicily breaking his hand before kicking 8 goals in his VFL return back in 2015 before hardly getting a touch up fwd when he started playing in the AFL side the following yr... so whilst I'm eager to see what Ross can do at AFL level, I'm guessing he'd be more of a spectator, so probably prefer he continue to play at VFL level where he can be involved in the play more. Prefer we play Lewis ahead of Ross. I'm guessing Lewis got dropped cos Andrews was a dominant figure in our loss at the 'Gabba, but I think we missed him on Friday night - if we move the ball slow and the opposition flood our fwd line, we need a big pack marker; Clarko expecting our midfield to pinpoint fwd passes in that scenario is fanciful.
Friday night reminded me that Sicily can find the ball at will in defence but struggles to get near it up fwd - tried to take chest marks on the lead which got spoiled and gave no 2nd efforts to pressure their defence. I hope Clarko n co don't continue to play him up fwd, we get far more value out of him behind the ball.
It does seem like Miles cards are marked (I heard it was lack of defensive efforts?) but I find our slow, conservative ball movement really frustrating; Impey & Sicily take the game on but it's an area i think we really struggle in and Miles could help us with.

Can anyone shed light on the Greenwood rumour? ie keen to come to hawthorn or just leave adelaide?

Essenscum 4.3-27 6.4-40 8.7-55 10.11-71
Box Hill Hawks 4.2-26 6.2-38 8.5-53 9.7-61

ESSENSCUM
Goal Kickers: M. Brown 2, J. Houlahan 2, N. Lazzaro 2, H. Hocking, W. Snelling, I. Mosquito, D. Myers
Best Players: M. Dea, D. Myers, T. Mynott, B. Zerk-Thatcher, M. Gleeson, N. Lazzaro
BOX HILL HAWKS
Goal Kickers: J. Ross 4, M. Lewis 2, L. Meadows, C. Nash, N. Boucher
Best Players: H. Morrison, M. Pittonet, R. Schoenmakers, T. Miles, D. Mirra, J. Ross

Back