Preview Round 11, 2019: Geelong Cats vs Sydney Swans @ GMHBA Stadium, Saturday, June 1, 4:35pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would need to learn our tactics, midfield structure, leading patterns and such first.
Would he? You should read my post above re other sports. Oh and mid-season trading may come in next year...should all those traded learn all those things?

I pinched this from another poster on the cats board:

- Sydney and Geelong are ranked 1 & 2 for tackles,
- Cats are ranked 5th for contested possessions, but Sydney are ranked 14th,
- Swans are ranked 8th for clangers, the Cats 17th,
- Cats are clear number 1 for goal assists, while Swans rank 17th,
- Cats 4th for marks i50, Swans 12th,
- Swans are first for rebound 50's, while Cats are 7th.

Looks like the cats focus has to be to stop those rebound 50's.

Would he? You should read my post above re other sports. Oh and mid-season trading may come in next year...should all those traded learn all those things?
Mid-season trades are generally of players that have already been in professional environments though, right? Knoll has played 7 games in the SANFL this year and 3 in the VFL this year and not even touched a football in the few years prior. The only way he plays against the Cats is if Sinclair is too injured to get out on the field. If he gets picked just because, then I'd be really disappointed with the club even though I'd be cheering him on to prove me wrong!

Mid-season trades are generally of players that have already been in professional environments though, right? Knoll has played 7 games in the SANFL this year and 3 in the VFL this year and not even touched a football in the few years prior. The only way he plays against the Cats is if Sinclair is too injured to get out on the field. If he gets picked just because, then I'd be really disappointed with the club even though I'd be cheering him on to prove me wrong!
We’re we not talking about leading patterns etc? I’m fairly sure not all clubs are the same, as a matter of fact, I’m fairly sure no two clubs are the same.

I do like how you relate experience with ability though...I had plenty of experience but my ability lacked on many an occasion. I hope he plays and I hope he proves you wrong. He has to be on the plane before he can do that though!

Out and out ruckmen don't do a lot of leading and therefore don't need to understand the patterns. Usually, the mids point the ruckmen in the right direction then he taps it down to them. Yes, he may play against better ruckmen in the AFL, but he is a big bugger and may not get pushed off the ball easily. His first and only job would be see ball, tap ball.

We’re we not talking about leading patterns etc? I’m fairly sure not all clubs are the same, as a matter of fact, I’m fairly sure no two clubs are the same.

I do like how you relate experience with ability though...I had plenty of experience but my ability lacked on many an occasion. I hope he plays and I hope he proves you wrong. He has to be on the plane before he can do that though!
At least we agree on one thing and that is that he proves me wrong if he does actually play!

Would need to learn our tactics, midfield structure, leading patterns and such first.

Leading patterns? What leading patterns!??
Besides are you expecting him to be breaking away from centre bounces to deliver it lace out for Menzel?
All he need do is be taller and stronger than his opponent - and this week he would be both - it's an unusual opportunity for us to have the clear leading tap ruck on-field for a change. Pretty sure he can hand ball it to a runner.
I wouldn't be throwing him in v Gawn, Grundy or Goldie..... Rhys Stanley?? Go git him !

I pinched this from another poster on the cats board:

- Sydney and Geelong are ranked 1 & 2 for tackles,
- Cats are ranked 5th for contested possessions, but Sydney are ranked 14th,
- Swans are ranked 8th for clangers, the Cats 17th,
- Cats are clear number 1 for goal assists, while Swans rank 17th,
- Cats 4th for marks i50, Swans 12th,
- Swans are first for rebound 50's, while Cats are 7th.

Looks like the cats focus has to be to stop those rebound 50's.
We're only 1st in rebound 50s because our midfield leaks like a sieve and we bleed inside 50s. Like every other game ever you need to win it in the middle and the rest will take care of itself. Simplifying things a bit I know.

Really hope we don't go too big for this game. I live a few Buddy bombs from the ground and conditions today are atrocious. (rainy and very cold but at least the wind has died down to less than a gale). Ronke would be handy if he was in form.

Menzel and Hayward are both pretty good at conjuring goals out of nothing, and they will need to in this game. Papley I'm expecting to have a big one as he has done in the past at this ground. Buddy, Reid and McCartin will be mainly there to just create contests.

Out-of-form Ronke aside, who else do we even have to choose from if we want smaller players inside 50?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Menzel and Hayward are both pretty good at conjuring goals out of nothing, and they will need to in this game. Papley I'm expecting to have a big one as he has done in the past at this ground. Buddy, Reid and McCartin will be mainly there to just create contests.

Out-of-form Ronke aside, who else do we even have to choose from if we want smaller players inside 50?
No one really. The cupboard is pretty bare for in form small forwards (Papley excepted).

No one really. The cupboard is pretty bare for in form small forwards (Papley excepted).

Exactly, just have to hope the talent we have inside 50 (and there's a boatload of it) can conjure enough goals out of their arses. In the past at the Cattery we've played pretty direct footy going forward. I remember there was one passage of play in 2017 where we kicked four of five goals or something from only about 20 possessions. And then we backed it up again with similar numbers in the last quarter when we came back against them last year.

We'll need to be that efficient up the ground again if we're going to give our taller forward line a chance. Stuff around with it too much and let them get their structures set-up perfectly and they're incredibly difficult to score against.

Anyone pick out any of the emergencies from this video? I don't see Grassy.

Edit: I think Thurlow is on the far right in the third group? Ronke maybe second from left in the first group

I could only make out Thurlow. The second from left one you are seeing is Clarke (if we're talking about the same figure)

In any case, I didn't see a lumbering giant in Knoll.

Time for the swans to step up and get the W. You’re only great when you win. Alexander wasn’t Alexander the mediocre or Alexander the average. He was Alexander the Great and there’s a reason for it.

I’m gonna enjoy a good old Pint of Guinness watching the swans cause an upset tomorrow - O’Riordan to show his class, 30 disposals.

Time for the swans to step up and get the W. You’re only great when you win. Alexander wasn’t Alexander the mediocre or Alexander the average. He was Alexander the Great and there’s a reason for it.

I’m gonna enjoy a good old Pint of Guinness watching the swans cause an upset tomorrow - O’Riordan to show his class, 30 disposals.
It's not beyond the realms of possibility. I'm going with a Swans win right up to the point when reality catches up with me.

Delicious!

"And when Alexander saw the breadth of his domain, he wept, for there were no more worlds to conquer."

Hans Gruber.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back