Autopsy Round 11, 2019: loss v cats

Remove this Banner Ad

I read a post on FB re McVeigh playing today and subsequently they said he should be dropped for only making 1 tackle. I’d like to address this:

While I think he should’ve played a game in the reserves first up, he didn’t so we’ll suck that up.

He is a tough bastard, tougher than I gave him credit for.
He thinks very quickly on his feet.
He had more than 1 tackle...stats said he had 1 but I saw him have 3 in a row in the one play.

I can see him getting another year.

That really hurts given he was a first round pick and Higgins and Ed Richards went just after him :(
You can tell by his kicking that he could probably make it but he’s been going at quarter pace on limited time. Not sacking him for ability as I don’t think we’ve seen anywhere near the best of Ling but if they can’t fix him, he’ll have to go...it’s harsh!

You can tell by his kicking that he could probably make it but he’s been going at quarter pace on limited time. Not sacking him for ability as I don’t think we’ve seen anywhere near the best of Ling but if they can’t fix him, he’ll have to go...it’s harsh!

Yer this is his second year and doubtful if he will push for selection probably has next year to show something otherwise he will be delisted

(Log in to remove this ad.)

just got home. what a silly trip it is down there.

i really dont know what to say about that game. it felt like we were thereabouts but then a part of me goes back to horses game plan he puts into place in a last qtr for an honourable loss. why was he flooding our backline in the 4th? crazy.

buddy is on struggle street.
mcveigh is past it and i just dont see how he is going to be beneficial to how horse wants to take the team forward.
florent made too many mistakes.
clarke is close to our worst recruitment in the last decade.
dawson was pretty good again. close to our best i think.
the little bit that menzel came on for he was okay considering. he was better then rohan, marginally. hes not in our team to tackle. never has been his forte. so shouldnt be judged on that.
sinclair needs help. say it every week. we in that ruck contest AND clearances today with a good quality ruckman. their only ruckman today was a bloke who played 3 games last year and that was his 1st this year.

oh to be a swans fan this season.

If there was something stopping him from getting match fit then they wouldn't play him.
He just needs a few weeks with solid game time and his fitness will return.

Inglis was mentally shot, half of the battle is mental.
As long as Buddy is up for the mental battle he can play until he is 40.
No he can't. Wishful thinking 37. That's ok

Cats talent shone through in the end. They lost a Brownlow medalist and replace them with another one at the selections.

However we had our chances but if you kick poorly you can’t put the scoreboard pressure on. Ultimately the Cats surged ahead and we fell short.

Once more we are stuck in the 60-70 scoring range.

A few thoughts on players:

Hewett, Rampe, Parker our best again. May well be our top 3 in the Skilton right now.

Glad to see Hayward bounce back with a more energetic and influential game after a quiet few weeks.

Aliir is becoming a better defender every week now. His improvement has been great this year.

Clarke was better with ball in hand last week but this week he was shocking. Just not reliable and I"ll be interested to see how long he stays in the side for if this what he reverts to every other week - that kind of disposal is a serious liability in the side

Dawson is legitimately a really good senior player already. He has an influence on the game every week and he hasn't played 15 AFL games yet.

Blakey could be anything. His pace and skill are really stand-out already for a guy his size and once he packs on the muscle and has had a few preseasons to build his aerobic capacity, he's gonna be a serious player.

Menzel didn't look ready for senior footy;

Franklin looks unfit and perhaps a little heavier than he'd normally be.

We need more from Heeney and Mills. When they touch the ball often it is positive and they both had strong stretches tonight but overall we need them to start taking the next step. Be it forward, back or in the middle.

Melican was way out of his depth against Hawkins and had a bad night. Gotta say, he's lucky there isn't a KPD in the reserves pushing him for his spot right now because he's not had the most consistent year at all. McCartin into defence I guess is always an option.

Good game from O'Riordan - best of the year for him. Good run and overlap and his athleticism is really handy. With ball in hand and as a third man up.

A few thoughts on players:

Hewett, Rampe, Parker our best again. May well be our top 3 in the Skilton right now.

Glad to see Hayward bounce back with a more energetic and influential game after a quiet few weeks.

Aliir is becoming a better defender every week now. His improvement has been great this year.

Clarke was better with ball in hand last week but this week he was shocking. Just not reliable and I"ll be interested to see how long he stays in the side for if this what he reverts to every other week - that kind of disposal is a serious liability in the side

Dawson is legitimately a really good senior player already. He has an influence on the game every week and he hasn't played 15 AFL games yet.

Blakey could be anything. His pace and skill are really stand-out already for a guy his size and once he packs on the muscle and has had a few preseasons to build his aerobic capacity, he's gonna be a serious player.

Menzel didn't look ready for senior footy;

Franklin looks unfit and perhaps a little heavier than he'd normally be.

We need more from Heeney and Mills. When they touch the ball often it is positive and they both had strong stretches tonight but overall we need them to start taking the next step. Be it forward, back or in the middle.

Melican was way out of his depth against Hawkins and had a bad night. Gotta say, he's lucky there isn't a KPD in the reserves pushing him for his spot right now because he's not had the most consistent year at all. McCartin into defence I guess is always an option.

Good game from O'Riordan - best of the year for him. Good run and overlap and his athleticism is really handy. With ball in hand and as a third man up.
Thanks.
Also what I like about Hewett and Florent are they are gaining that ability to hold onto the ball that little extra nanosecond - to take an extra step/sidestep, get around opponent, being more balanced when disposing of the ball.

COR is learning to break the lines. Thanks Tadgh for the coaching.

Most disappointing overall was our poor kicking efficiency.

I'm encouraged about the nucleus of the Swans.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back