Autopsy Round 11, 2019: loss v cats

It is. I think it’ll be back to the draft, can’t see Stoddart or Ling (bit hard if you’re injured) making it.
Some ripper players in the first half dozen in the ND, we don't need too many wins in the run home, want to finish bottom four and draft a dashing clean disposal HB.

As if those muppets talk any sense, they just babble on about anything to fill the vacuum. I don't have the sound up high enough to hear what they actually say, that some of those guys played the game stuns me!

They do have to fill a lot of time watching Sydney play to be fair

You've finally convinced me.
We are a **** club & are a laughing stock.

Yep that was the point I was making

What happened I don’t get emotional about it all ? Take a Valium Ted and settle down

We won the 3 games but I was reacting to the accuracy last night
you win or lose it’s black and white

But if you get a like from the peanut gallery then good luck

tombomb

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 8, 2007
melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
There should be a separate forum for those with Longmire derangement syndrome.

It gets really boring when nearly every single thread is derailed with this anti longmire garbage.

I thought i would come on here and read that people were encouraged with the improvement of our young players and how good we are going to be in 2 to 3 years.

Instead its the same old s... that you would hear from drunk Richmond supporters calling 3AW on a Friday night after another loss in the 2000s.

MF

Good Poster, s**t Bloke
Sep 10, 2006
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Liverpool FC
For those asking why the extra in defence... We were getting slaughtered in the middle. Having even numbers forward and back would have more than likely just resulted in either conceding a goal or the ball being trapped in Geelongs forward 50 for long stretches.

At least it enabled us to get some rebound.

Had we put the extra man around the ball then the game becomes congested. We put the extra up forward and the ball doesn't get there anyway.

I had no problem with the extra man in defence, but it would be nice to see a bit more dare and willingness to go through the corridor with only minutes remaining.

For those asking why the extra in defence... We were getting slaughtered in the middle. Having even numbers forward and back would have more than likely just resulted in either conceding a goal or the ball being trapped in Geelongs forward 50 for long stretches.

At least it enabled us to get some rebound.

Had we put the extra man around the ball then the game becomes congested. We put the extra up forward and the ball doesn't get there anyway.

I had no problem with the extra man in defence, but it would be nice to see a bit more dare and willingness to go through the corridor with only minutes remaining.

That’s perfectly reasonable

Except when you need 3 goals in 7 minutes

Why not just go man on man at least? Then you might actually win a stoppage

Mick Oxlong

Cancelled
10k Posts
Oct 27, 2007
AFL Club
Sydney
Just way too defensive tonight in a game where really we had nothing to lose, missing our skipper, playing top of the ladder team on their home deck. Why try winning by playing it safe?

- Reid swung back half way through a quarter where we were well on top at that point. Some inevitable resistance from a quality opposition and the solution is to drop the only forward who looked capable of clunking a mark in the defensive 50.

- Having an extra man down back in the dying stages when we needed to try and attack at all costs with time our enemy. What was the point in having our most attacking and creative defender as the loose man on the last line of defence if he had no real options to clear it out to?

- If I’m not mistaken we had THREE players in the midfield rotation playing some form of negating roles. Clarke on Duncan didn’t appear to work. Despite Hewett being our best midfielder it somehow became his responsibility to shut Kelly and/or Dangerfield down. Then there was Fox, who I’m not sure if he had a run-with role, but he has done every other week, and it would explain his low numbers. Hewett had 29 touches, over a third of which came in the first half of the first quarter. Clarke & Fox only had 18 between them. And we wonder why our midfield gets trounced?

I seriously do not know where anybody saw our game as defensive, we definitely weren’t anywhere near defensive at the ground. It was quite an attacking game from the boys except for those obvious moments when you have to defend. You know, when they have the ball.

TV did not do justice to Reid’s game. He was not swung back, he ran up and down the ground all night and lo and behold, that happens when you’re 2nd ruck. He played everywhere but geez, you say him in the back line on your Samsung 60 inch and deducted that he was pushed back into defence. My *, how wrong you are!

There was no extra man back in the last, it was man on man, one on one but occasionally a player gets lost...happens all the time in football and that’s all it was. Hey, what do I know, I wasn’t watching on TV!

Mick Oxlong

Cancelled
10k Posts
Oct 27, 2007
AFL Club
Sydney
Some ripper players in the first half dozen in the ND, we don't need too many wins in the run home, want to finish bottom four and draft a dashing clean disposal HB.
I can’t like this as I don’t condone the intention of losing but if we’re not good enough and happen to do so, then yes, let’s grab some. Best midfielder first though!

Corpuscles

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 3, 2006
Lunatic Park
AFL Club
Sydney

It gets really boring when nearly every single thread is derailed with this anti longmire garbage.

I thought i would come on here and read that people were encouraged with the improvement of our young players and how good we are going to be in 2 to 3 years.

Instead its the same old s... that you would hear from drunk Richmond supporters calling 3AW on a Friday night after another loss in the 2000s.

LOL! It is worse than that. Richmond having had decades of failure and rotating door of failures of promised messiahs (esp Terry Wallets), high picks even priority, couldn't climb higher than 9th...sometimes!. They might have had some bit of excuse for their emotion.

Many Swans fans here have been spoilt through a period of 3 decades at or near the top (some their whole footy following life) based or result of a proven system and philosophy that has made SSFC the envy of and gained respect of most clubs and knowledgeable followers. Few high picks, no bottoming out, penalised for smart recruiting.
But a spell bottom four has to happen for a short period, sometime, eventually, if the cards fall that way.

But wait …. Swans ran two of the top teams close. Yes honourable losses for a bunch of kids in a depleted , not ready to challenge for 2019 flag perhaps even top 8, side.

There are obvious clear current deficiencies well known even here, Ruck, tall experienced CHB, speed with big mature body , etc

The approach at this stage of the year is to consolidate the basics of staying in the game and not be blown away and take/ gain confidence and encouragement that they (the developing ones) can in most patches match it up against the best.

Yes of course I was on the edge of my seat a win would have been fantastic. Swans proved they can attack (eg the first 15min 1st qtr) but against the sustained wealth of big body mature class rotations Cats could throw into the middle, then our blokes were exhausted and out of gas in the last 15mins of the 4th qtr.

If Reid &others had kicked straight with scoreboard pressure in the 1st qtr blitz and better mids not busted a gut and dropped off in last 5min 1st and 10mins of 2nd. Then later the overall planned defensive strategy might have given Swans more control and chance of a win.

Swans currently in this stage of the season DO NOT NEED the 4 points... they NEED the development of the younger exciting talents!! Not gained by ambitious flamboyant fancy stuff and then experiencing demoralising blow out losses Ask Carlton supporters.

They did very well all of them busted their gut to the end. Menzel and Clarke not yet settled into side or style but if you urge players to be recruited you got to give them a decent chance, otherwise no one else on the fringe later will come! (ie if they know past recruits get shafted and parked into NEAFL)

momentbymoment

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 9, 2014
Noosa
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Liverpool
Mills to the midfield.

I have no idea if he will succeed there but we have to try something. We can’t keep losing the clearances (and the frees) and expect to win games.

momentbymoment

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 9, 2014
Noosa
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Liverpool
This would be a massive mistake.
What we need now is to build a team that knows how to win. That is more important than the players we draft.

Swans currently in this stage of the season DO NOT NEED the 4 points... they NEED the development of the younger exciting talents!!

I think part of the best way to develop young talent is to win games and add the four points. I do not hold to the honourable loss dictum. It is winning your share of contests and playing your part in winning games that is crucial to development of youngsters as well as maintenance and improvement of skills among older players.

I thought this was a winnable game (i invariably do) and I think we had our chances but did not take them.

Yes there were some positives. Even in the worst of losses I can usually find a glimmer of hope. However we need to be realistic about where the coaching and where some of our players are.

Was he or was he not our coach in this game?

6yearsold

Club Legend
Nov 23, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Crystal Palace
Even gary Lyon has noticed that Mills talent is being wasted.

What a joke that we are playing Menzel. Let alone the stupidity of giving him a list spot. Watch him closely, he can't turn at all. Unless the ball gets kicked straight to him he is not in the game. It goes to show how much this club has gone backward when a player like mitch morton was held in resizes basically all year until he dis what menzel has never shown any inclination to do at either level. And you could bring Tom Mitchell into this argument as well. Standards have gone down in so many ways. Too many first year players being gifted games early in their careers (ronke, mcinerney, stoddart, rowbottom).

Anyway, well done to hewitt and dawson who continue to impress after spending years in the resizes honing their craft.

Corpuscles

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 3, 2006
Lunatic Park
AFL Club
Sydney
Was he or was he not our coach in this game?

From the little I see of this forum, I get the impression you can be quite reasonable in comments and are not the KING of the Longmire detractors.?

But Shirley , that has to be a nothin' silly question?

If you are detracting or intent on criticising and therefore think you know better? perhaps you would like to offer how you would do it better?????

Perhaps we set the scene a bit for you just incase you didn't or don't realise....

Swans are to play the one (now2) game clear top of the ladder Cats in a very even at the top season.

You know you have a non dominant (but try hard make shift ruckman barely compete let alone beat a 2nd stringer from Cats
Your best big bodied inside midfielder is out injured (JPK) and the next biggest body (jones) is out too!

Tell us (ME) how you set up to handle Dangerfield Selwood Kelly for starters

What do you say to an obviously injured (somewhat) Heeney?, a bust a gut goer but inexperienced mid like Papley?, and do you say to Parker and Hewett "well boys you will just have to stay in there till you drop dead"????

Do you ask Blakey to get in there for stints on Danger and don't come off until your shoulders incur career limiting /threating smashings?

What is your address to the recently graduated from "L Plates" now on "Green P plates's" Alliir just pretend you are Ross Glendining or a flying dormat? How do you structure the backline to help out the outstanding but undersized Rampe? Or do you just tell him to get taller and stronger by climbing the goalpost?

Lets have it. HOW CAN YOU DO IT BETTER?

MF

Good Poster, s**t Bloke
Sep 10, 2006
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Liverpool FC
Just way too defensive tonight in a game where really we had nothing to lose, missing our skipper, playing top of the ladder team on their home deck. Why try winning by playing it safe?

- Reid swung back half way through a quarter where we were well on top at that point. Some inevitable resistance from a quality opposition and the solution is to drop the only forward who looked capable of clunking a mark in the defensive 50.

- Having an extra man down back in the dying stages when we needed to try and attack at all costs with time our enemy. What was the point in having our most attacking and creative defender as the loose man on the last line of defence if he had no real options to clear it out to?

- If I’m not mistaken we had THREE players in the midfield rotation playing some form of negating roles. Clarke on Duncan didn’t appear to work. Despite Hewett being our best midfielder it somehow became his responsibility to shut Kelly and/or Dangerfield down. Then there was Fox, who I’m not sure if he had a run-with role, but he has done every other week, and it would explain his low numbers. Hewett had 29 touches, over a third of which came in the first half of the first quarter. Clarke & Fox only had 18 between them. And we wonder why our midfield gets trounced?
I think Reid was only back when he was playing ruck.

From the little I see of this forum, I get the impression you can be quite reasonable in comments and are not the KING of the Longmire detractors.?

But Shirley , that has to be a nothin' silly question?

If you are detracting or intent on criticising and therefore think you know better? perhaps you would like to offer how you would do it better?????

Perhaps we set the scene a bit for you just incase you didn't or don't realise....

Swans are to play the one (now2) game clear top of the ladder Cats in a very even at the top season.

You know you have a non dominant (but try hard make shift ruckman barely compete let alone beat a 2nd stringer from Cats
Your best big bodied inside midfielder is out injured (JPK) and the next biggest body (jones) is out too!

Tell us (ME) how you set up to handle Dangerfield Selwood Kelly for starters

What do you say to an obviously injured (somewhat) Heeney?, a bust a gut goer but inexperienced mid like Papley?, and do you say to Parker and Hewett "well boys you will just have to stay in there till you drop dead"????

Do you ask Blakey to get in there for stints on Danger and don't come off until your shoulders incur career limiting /threating smashings?

What is your address to the recently graduated from "L Plates" now on "Green P plates's" Alliir just pretend you are Ross Glendining or a flying dormat? How do you structure the backline to help out the outstanding but undersized Rampe? Or do you just tell him to get taller and stronger by climbing the goalpost?

Lets have it. HOW CAN YOU DO IT BETTER?

I never said I could do it better but I’m not the senior coach on 6-7 figures am I?

Really? The first thing I would do as a responsible coach and human being is not play injured players. You mentioned Heeney; you could have mentioned Buddy. We picked a slow tall fwd line. I would have sent those two off to rehab or ops if they need it. Would have kept Thurlow and played Ronke. Less competitive on paper, but in reality what is the sense in risking further injury to banged up players?

Selwood and Danger now spend less minutes in the midfield, if you have not noticed.

I would have played McVeigh on Selwood. Both are equally treacle slow.

Of course I would have played Mills in stints in the mids and played Dawson at every CS contest.

When Scott posted an extra on the backline in Q4, surely Shirley it was time to go man on man.

I think Reid was only back when he was playing ruck.

Not true. In the first Geelong started to get into the game and Reid was down back, despite Sinclair rucking. Then at times throughout the match he would still be stationed as a loose man spoiling down there even with Sinclair rucking.

Even gary Lyon has noticed that Mills talent is being wasted.

What a joke that we are playing Menzel. Let alone the stupidity of giving him a list spot. Watch him closely, he can't turn at all. Unless the ball gets kicked straight to him he is not in the game. It goes to show how much this club has gone backward when a player like mitch morton was held in resizes basically all year until he dis what menzel has never shown any inclination to do at either level. And you could bring Tom Mitchell into this argument as well. Standards have gone down in so many ways. Too many first year players being gifted games early in their careers (ronke, mcinerney, stoddart, rowbottom).

Anyway, well done to hewitt and dawson who continue to impress after spending years in the resizes honing their craft.

In fairness to Horse, if he had his way, a lot of those youngsters wouldn’t have even debuted at all. The unfortunate unevenness of our list profile at the minute means that if a senior player goes down (like McVeigh, Cunningham, Kennedy etc), they are replaced with a potentially not-ready kid, because that’s all we have. Look in our reserves and who is next in line? Rose, who looks way off it? Rowbottom, who isn’t ready? Stoddart, who might break in half? That’s just where our list is at right now. It’s not a bad list, it’s just a handicapped list. Handicapped by youth and inexperience and ageing veterans but nothing in between. Rohan never coming on didn’t help. Jack hitting a wall at 28 didn’t help. Breaking Hanners by 27 didn’t help. And yes, losing Mitchell didn’t help.

The club seems to have gone all-in on youth, and it’s paid off as we have plenty of young talent to carry us forward. Now we just need to balance it a little. A good trade period boosted by the retirements of Reg, Jack and McVeigh should help us land some mature talent ready-to-go, without the question marks of someone like Menzel. I really do think it could be an easy fix.

mikey_san

Cancelled
Mar 17, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
As if those muppets talk any sense, they just babble on about anything to fill the vacuum. I don't have the sound up high enough to hear what they actually say, that some of those guys played the game stuns me!

Turned 7 off and listened to radio commentary on the afl website.
Will be doing that a lot more from here on. Particularly if Dunstall is involved.

I seriously do not know where anybody saw our game as defensive, we definitely weren’t anywhere near defensive at the ground. It was quite an attacking game from the boys except for those obvious moments when you have to defend. You know, when they have the ball.

TV did not do justice to Reid’s game. He was not swung back, he ran up and down the ground all night and lo and behold, that happens when you’re 2nd ruck. He played everywhere but geez, you say him in the back line on your Samsung 60 inch and deducted that he was pushed back into defence. My ****, how wrong you are!

There was no extra man back in the last, it was man on man, one on one but occasionally a player gets lost...happens all the time in football and that’s all it was. Hey, what do I know, I wasn’t watching on TV!

The tv must lie because it showed 7 swans defenders and 6 cats forwards or whatever the variance was quite often

Back