Autopsy Round 11, 2019: loss v cats

Remove this Banner Ad

Not true. In the first Geelong started to get into the game and Reid was down back, despite Sinclair rucking. Then at times throughout the match he would still be stationed as a loose man spoiling down there even with Sinclair rucking.
Fair enough. The only occasions I recalled seeing him there were when he was in the ruck but I'll take your word for it.

In fairness to Horse, if he had his way, a lot of those youngsters wouldn’t have even debuted at all. The unfortunate unevenness of our list profile at the minute means that if a senior player goes down (like McVeigh, Cunningham, Kennedy etc), they are replaced with a potentially not-ready kid, because that’s all we have. Look in our reserves and who is next in line? Rose, who looks way off it? Rowbottom, who isn’t ready? Stoddart, who might break in half? That’s just where our list is at right now. It’s not a bad list, it’s just a handicapped list. Handicapped by youth and inexperience and ageing veterans but nothing in between. Rohan never coming on didn’t help. Jack hitting a wall at 28 didn’t help. Breaking Hanners by 27 didn’t help. And yes, losing Mitchell didn’t help.

The club seems to have gone all-in on youth, and it’s paid off as we have plenty of young talent to carry us forward. Now we just need to balance it a little. A good trade period boosted by the retirements of Reg, Jack and McVeigh should help us land some mature talent ready-to-go, without the question marks of someone like Menzel. I really do think it could be an easy fix.

Stoddart should get a run. Might help to not run players into the ground too. Mills and Heeney need a two week break over the bye - one at each end, Heeney first.
Having Rose in that game instead of Menzel, we'd of gone a lot closer than we did, might've won. He would've had 4 tackles and roved the forward line effectively for 15 possessions and a goal, maybe even two. Club gambled on Menzel having a game against his former club - and lost.

Some ripper players in the first half dozen in the ND, we don't need too many wins in the run home, want to finish bottom four and draft a dashing clean disposal HB.

What exactly like Lloyd, Stoddart and McInerney? Bout the single very last thing we need IMO. Take the best possible midfielder first and the best KPD second I hope.

Fair enough. The only occasions I recalled seeing him there were when he was in the ruck but I'll take your word for it.

I was looking for Reid because he started the game well (excluding his missed gimmes) and I was baffled as to why we stopped going to him when he started off in good nick. Didn’t take long to find out why.

Stoddart should get a run. Might help to not run players into the ground too. Mills and Heeney need a two week break over the bye - one at each end, Heeney first.
Having Rose in that game instead of Menzel, we'd of gone a lot closer than we did, might've won. He would've had 4 tackles and roved the forward line effectively for 15 possessions and a goal, maybe even two. Club gambled on Menzel having a game against his former club - and lost.

Not if Rose’s game yesterday was anything to go by. Numbers-wise had a big one but it was the worst game he played all year. He should’ve been a leader in that NEAFL game with a very young Swans outfit but instead he was more panicked and lacking composure than the top-ups! He has just dropped right off IMO from his promising start to the year, which should have been rewarded to be fair.

Not true. In the first Geelong started to get into the game and Reid was down back, despite Sinclair rucking. Then at times throughout the match he would still be stationed as a loose man spoiling down there even with Sinclair rucking.

Even if this was so, with Buddy, McCartin, Blakey and Menzel up forward, it hardly left us without targets to hit.

With all those guys up forward and Buddy/Menzel short of a gallop, I reckon Reid’s role was to push up the ground to assist the transition. At times when the ball moved defensively that probably saw him push down to assist.

The tv must lie because it showed 7 swans defenders and 6 cats forwards or whatever the variance was quite often
Did they have red circles around each of them and a number on the side to indicate such? Nobody ran off their man at any stage? Holy crap, no wonder it wasn’t a draw!

Reid isn’t a bad second ruck even when he is out of form elsewhere

I’d almost like to bring in knoll to free Reid up from that duty while he is clunking them forward

Might force mccartin out though to do it

Did they have red circles around each of them and a number on the side to indicate such? Nobody ran off their man at any stage? Holy crap, no wonder it wasn’t a draw!

They said look there’s mills playing spare then showed and said Reid playing spare

They didn’t draw on the telly tony Greig style

Had to do it myself it ruined Seinfeld later on

George was flooding

Even if this was so, with Buddy, McCartin, Blakey and Menzel up forward, it hardly left us without targets to hit.

With all those guys up forward and Buddy/Menzel short of a gallop, I reckon Reid’s role was to push up the ground to assist the transition. At times when the ball moved defensively that probably saw him push down to assist.

But based on the way the game started, out of Reid, McCartin, Blakey, Buddy and Menzel, who was the one most likely to be needed as a marking target going forward or coming out of defence? It was Reid!

So we just ended up trying to get it out to a leading Buddy who was half-baked and not a good mark anyway, and to McCartin and Blakey who were being out-bodied too easily. If we needed that extra tall to push back, it shouldn’t have been Reid. We were crying out for him to hit form, then he’s in form and he ends up spending stretches down in defence. I get the logic of it, but I think it was just the wrong decision.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

But based on the way the game started, out of Reid, McCartin, Blakey, Buddy and Menzel, who was the one most likely to be needed as a marking target going forward or coming out of defence? It was Reid!

So we just ended up trying to get it out to a leading Buddy who was half-baked and not a good mark anyway, and to McCartin and Blakey who were being out-bodied too easily. If we needed that extra tall to push back, it shouldn’t have been Reid. We were crying out for him to hit form, then he’s in form and he ends up spending stretches down in defence. I get the logic of it, but I think it was just the wrong decision.

Hehe sorry, I got lost in you making an argument FOR Reid.

I think I just walked into the twilight zone. ;)

Reid isn’t a bad second ruck even when he is out of form elsewhere

I’d almost like to bring in knoll to free Reid up from that duty while he is clunking them forward

Might force mccartin out though to do it

Watching Knoll in the NEAFL I personally don’t think he is ready for the step into AFL level as yet. I’d probably still play Cameron over him at this stage (well I’d play neither now but you get my point).

Hehe sorry, I got lost in you making an argument FOR Reid.

I think I just walked into the twilight zone. ;)

Haha strike me dead I know

But I thought Reid looked lively early on and shifting him around didn’t seem to do anything for his performance. Whether it’s a gun or a potato, if you have a forward in good nick - keep him there!

Forward line is still too tall.

Would send Melican back to the NEAFL, move McCartin to defence again and bring in Ronke or the like.

Would send Melican back to the NEAFL, move McCartin to defence again and bring in Ronke or the like.

Don’t mind that idea to be honest

McCartin is 89 kgs 193 tall. Might still be growing, at his age he can't be a kpd like Melican ( 98kgs 195 tall) or Reid for that matter

McCartin is 89 kgs 193 tall. Might still be growing, at his age he can't be a kpd like Melican ( 98kgs 195 tall) or Reid for that matter

True, however physicality is more important than strength in my opinion.

For example, Reid may have the strength but isn't physical enough to be a reliable KPD. Rampe is undersized for a KPD but extremely physical which makes up for it.

Guess it depends how Tom would play.

True, however physicality is more important than strength in my opinion.

For example, Reid may have the strength but isn't physical enough to be a reliable KPD. Rampe is undersized for a KPD but extremely physical which makes up for it.

Guess it depends how Tom would play.
I reckon reid would make a fantastic kpd, strength and physicality. Hawkins would have murdered Mccartin

I’m a big fan of Florent but I’d like to see him stress less with the ball. He has arguably one of the tougher jobs in the team - trying to inject pace into a midfield of plodders - but sometimes I think he takes that mission too seriously to the point he’s actually rushing himself, and forcing himself to play fast quick footy because that’s his role, even when the situation may not call for it. He hits the pack at full pace and attacks the ball with speed, which is great to see and is what we’ve lacked since Jetta’s departure. But he does all the hard work to get himself into space and in the clear, and then panics when it comes time to execute.

He is bloody quick and nimble, he has more time than he seems to think he does, and only needs to take that extra half-second to just pause before pulling the trigger on the kick.As it stands he undoes some of his classy work in close by what he does in space. If he can adapt and find that poise, he’d be just about our most dangerous player IMO.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back