Preview Round 11 2019 - North Melbourne Vs Richmond, Friday 31/5, Docklands Stadium 7.50pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tygrys

Club Legend
Mar 26, 2009
Dallas, Texas
AFL Club
Richmond
Did you watch the last 2 weeks of vfl to see how Butler has been playing?

Yes - ok but nothing extraordinary. Certainly not enough to erase the memory of his disgusting performances earlier this year and bearing in mind we are talking 'VFL' performances here, nothing to convince me that I should be excited or happy about him replacing Rioli.

Tomnat Tigers

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 8, 2009
Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Arsenal
Must have been line ball between dropping Rioli or Bolton.
Bolton just shaded Rioli's performance.

Bolton was far better Rioli last week. Rioli didn't get near it other than 2 brief purple patches where he had 5 ineffective touches in the space of about 2 minutes. Bolton didn't see a lot of it but when he did something happened even if not super damaging. Which out of the 2 the 1 we should be developing is Bolton, he has the potential to be a Michael Walters type forward/mid (20 disposals/goal a game). Rioli needs to start finding more of the ball otherwise he will only be an average small forward capable of special moments.

Not making excuses.

Rioli and the club are trying to convert him into a mid (or at least, more of a mid). It's not really working and has caused his form to drop off, so he's being dropped accordingly....for a Mid.

It'll be interesting what they do with him in the 2s...Continue trying to convert him, or 'reset' him back to being a fwd.

Rioli hasn't had a spell in midfield since the Collingwood game having spent preseason and the first two games of the season in a mid/wing/forward role. Rioli has played 1 good game (half a game really) and has deservedly been dropped. A couple of knocks doesn't excuse what he shown this season.

Vassp

Premiership Player
Jun 30, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
Re Rioli move to midfield. If you’re going to play forward, tackling is just not enough anymore, you have to impact the score board as well.
You want an example? His name is josh caddy.

DoItForCaptBlood

Premiership Player
Sep 8, 2008
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Richmond
Yes - ok but nothing extraordinary. Certainly not enough to erase the memory of his disgusting performances earlier this year and bearing in mind we are talking 'VFL' performances here, nothing to convince me that I should be excited or happy about him replacing Rioli.

Well you are certainly entitled to be unhappy.

Let's revisit after Fri night then and aee what Rioli does at vfl level.

Tygrys

Club Legend
Mar 26, 2009
Dallas, Texas
AFL Club
Richmond
Re Rioli move to midfield. If you’re going to play forward, tackling is just not enough anymore, you have to impact the score board as well.
You want an example? His name is josh caddy.

Unless your name is Castagna of course (and yes I know he has impacted lately, I'm talking all the weeks before when according to his fans he was there primarily for pressure and tackling and apparently scoring goals was some kind of bonus).

Vassp

Premiership Player
Jun 30, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
Unless your name is Castagna of course (and yes I know he has impacted lately, I'm talking all the weeks before when according to his fans he was there primarily for pressure and tackling and apparently scoring goals was some kind of bonus).

Yeah GEORGE........I’m wrapped his scoreboard impact is working and it’s about time too.
Anyway, if we are to go next level this year (beyond what we’ve done previously) all our forwards must have that goal instinct to put some away and not just be there for tackles.

RFCGloryJC

Publicity for Ricky Nixon and the St Kilda Girl
Jun 13, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Inter Milan, Real Madrid 👑
Dimi more or less hinted at the presser Jeeves would play.
Has been in very good form.
Our VFL team has great depth and quality and players can step up.
Looking forward to the challenge of the Cats.
It's the match I have been looking forward to for several weeks.
Will be great to see if Pickett plays towards the business end.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Socrates2

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 11, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
I don't see the point of playing Rioli in the VFL, he can only get more injured .He's not going to improve in any areas playing VFL.Take the week off I reckon and get the body ship shape.

RFCGloryJC

Jun 13, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Looking towards the business end, presuming most players return from injury, excepting Rance, how I would probably select the team.
F Baker Riewoldt Castagna
Caddy Lynch Lambert
KMac Prestia Ellis
Houli Vlaustin Edwards
Broad Grimes Astbury
foll Nank (or Soldo pending fitness) Martin Cotchin
i from Balta Butler Higgins Pickett? Stack

Last edited:

roacheee

🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆
Aug 25, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
(someone that has more talent in his left pinky than Butler has in his entire body). But what do I know,
not much apparently, did you watch us play in 2017?
if there's one thing butler had it was sublime skills
and speed
his speed and skill seemed to disappear....but it was due to effort
the effort is back, so watch out for the skill n speed to return

Socrates2

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 11, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
Looking towards the business end, presuming most players return from injury excepting Rance, how I would probably select the team.
F Baker Riewoldt Castagna
Caddy Lynch Lambert
KMac Prestia Ellis
Houli Vlaustin Edwards
Broad Grimes Astbury
foll Nank (or Soldo pending fitness) Martin Cotchin
i Balta Butler Pickett Stack
emerg Bolton Rioli
Don't write Rioli off yet, he is just injured/ out of form and maybe doing too much shopping for designer clothes with the fevola girl.He is always good in September and was close to b.o.g. in a prelim.

RFCGloryJC

Jun 13, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Rioli had an excellent season in 2017, no doubt.
I am just making my own judgement, omitting Bolton, Graham, Rioli, Short.
It's a talented and capable list with depth and surprises.
I just have a feeling Pickett could have a purple patch from round 19 onwards.

Socrates2

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 11, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
Rioli had an excellent season in 2017, no doubt.
I am just making my own judgement, omitting Bolton, Graham, Rioli, Short.
It's a talented and capable list with depth and surprises.
I just have a feeling Pickett could have a purple patch from round 19 onwards.
Yes, we will have an embarrassment of riches when everyone is fit. There will be some very unlucky players come finals time.The great thing about our depth is that if we have to trade a player, we will get something worthwhile back in return .

If Rioli was injured, he wouldn't be playing VFL. He's just OOF.
Yeh, little surprised Butts is in, but what does Naish have to do to get a look in??
Is Naish poor defensively? He cant be a happy chappy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back