Preview Round 11, 2019: St.Kilda v Port Adelaide - Jiangwan Stadium, Sunday 2nd June, 12:20PM AWST

Who Wins?

• Saints

Votes: 30 65.2%
  • Power

Votes: 16 34.8%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
cNtTIsJ.png

Preview
St.Kilda v Port Adelaide

894403_thumb_326x184.jpg

BhY2979.png

St.Kilda headed back to the winners list on Sunday afternoon at Marvel Stadium with a narrow 13 point win over the hapless Blues, squaring the Saints season ledger at 5-5 heading into Round 11.

Inaccurate kicking for goal haunted the Power all day, and after a scoreless opening term the visitors couldn't arrest momentum, finishing 31 points adrift against the Hawks in Tasmania. With that loss, Port Adelaide sit also at an even 5-5 heading into Round 11.

Let’s have a look at possible best 22s:

St.Kilda Best 22
B:
Jarryn Geary, Nathan Brown, Shane Savage
HB: Callum Wilkie, Josh Battle, Daniel McKenzie
C: Jack Billings, Sebastian Ross, Jack Newnes
HF: Ben Long, Josh Bruce, Jonathon Marsh
F: Dean Kent, Tim Membrey, Matthew Parker
Foll: Rowan Marshall, Jack Steele, Jade Gresham
I/C: Luke Dunstan, Blake Acres, Ed Phillips, Jack Sinclair

Port Adelaide Best 22
B:
Matthew Broadbent, Tom Clurey, Dan Houston
HB: Tom Jonas, Dougal Howard, Darcy Byrne-Jones
C: Zak Butters, Tom Rockliff, Karl Amon
HF: Robbie Gray, Justin Westhoff, Billy Frampton
F: Sam Gray, Paddy Ryder, Connor Rozee
Foll: Peter Ladhams, Sam Powell-Pepper, Travis Boak
I/C: Steven Motlop, Xavier Duursma, Kane Farrell, Jarrod Lienert

Medical Room

[IMG='width:651px;']https://s.afl.com.au/staticfile/AFL%20Tenant/Media/Galleries/Matches/2019/AFL%202019%20Round%2010%20-%20Hawthorn%20v%20Port%20Adelaide/677867_gl.jpg[/IMG]

The Saints walked away without any notable injury concerns.

As for Port Adelaide, Tom Rockliff suffered a left hamstring injury in the third term and was done for the day.

Preview

[IMG='width:651px;']https://images.ctfassets.net/u8w3l566ay8a/6KyE5a3Hz2wWiYMsUIaoGy/ac4dc81d2083fa5abaae6b6281fdd99c/16PAst18JE1277.JPG?w=980&h=520&fit=fill&f=faces[/IMG]

For the third time in AFL history, two clubs will play off for premiership points in China, this Port Adelaide's third game overseas and the Saints first in China, becoming the first team in VFL/AFL history to play in three different countries (Australia, New Zealand, China).

St.Kilda were looking to get back to winning ways last Sunday at Marvel Stadium against Carlton, and in a very scrappy affair the home side got over the line by 13 points to even their season at 5-5 and give them a solid platform to launch into the second half of the year.

In victory there were few better than young gun midfielder Jade Gresham who amassed 29 posessions (12 contested) and 5 clearances to be named best on ground.

Other notable performances included midfielder Jack Steele (28 possessions, 5 marks, 10 tackles), ruckman Rowan Marshall 13 disposals from 34 hit-outs and 6 tackles), and utility Blake Acres (20 disposals, 6 marks, 5 tackles).

And a nod to the four indigenous boys who played last Sunday in the Sir Doug Nicholls Round - Jade Gresham, Ben Long, Matty Parker and Robbie Young - the first time ever that St.Kilda have fielded four indigenous players in one game.

190524_IndigiBoys-940x599.jpg

Port Adelaide have a bit of an up and down season, sitting 5-5 after 10 rounds is probably a good reflection of where they're at. They have had some good wins over Melbourne, Carlton, West Coast (their best win all season), North Melbourne and Gold Coast, however they've dropped just as many, losing to Brisbane, Richmond, Collingwood, Adelaide and Hawthorn. What the Power do have in their favour however is their percentage of 103%, which should hold them in good stead if they can maintain it through the back end of the year.

In what was a disappointing day in Tasmania for Port Adelaide against the Hawks, there were some positives. Half back flanker Darcy Byrne-Jones was instrumental with 28 disposals, 8 marks and 6 tackles to be rated Port Adelaide's best on ground. Other notables were Robbie Gray (27 disposals, 7 marks, 1 goal), Matthew Broadbent (28 disposals, 7 marks), and first year sensation Xavier Duursma who finished with 22 possessions, 5 marks, 4 tackles and a goal.

Potential changes

[IMG='width:651px;']https://s.afl.com.au/staticfile/AFL%20Tenant/StKilda/Images/V07SaEs19MDP773453302.JPG[/IMG]

St.Kilda's Hunter Clark impressed once again the VFL against the Northern Blues on Sunday and could have a chance at making the final team after collecting 29 disposals to be one of St.Kilda's most influential players.

Other notable inclusions could be David Armitage (29 disposals, 3 tackles, 1 goal), Nick Coffield (21 disposals, 6 marks), and Nick Hind (20 disposals, 1 goal).

Key Match-Ups

[IMG='width:651px;']https://s.afl.com.au/staticfile/AFL%20Tenant/Media/Galleries/Matches/2019/AFL%202019%20Round%2010%20-%20Hawthorn%20v%20Port%20Adelaide/677272_gl.jpg[/IMG]

Robbie Gray
Gray has seemingly been a nightmare for Alan Richardson's men in recent times, and will once again be a player who the Saints will need to keep an eye on for all 120 minutes as Gray has the potential to turn a game off his own boot.

Paddy Ryder
St.Kilda supporters don't need to think back too far to remember Paddy Ryder's influence with some game winning tap work late in the Saints-Power Round 19 clash of 2017. With Rowan Marshall becoming one of the most improved players of the year, his task doesn't get any easier this week as both Ryder and Peter Ladhams will take stints in the middle. Ryder's ability to go forward and kick goals is also a weapon that St.Kilda will need to focus on.

Tip

[IMG='width:651px;']https://s.afl.com.au/staticfile/AFL%20Tenant/Media/Galleries/Matches/2019/AFL%202019%20Round%2010%20-%20St%20Kilda%20v%20Carlton/679241_gl.jpg[/IMG]

After a win last week the Saints are back to 5-5 and slowly starting to get quality players back from injury. Our record against the Power hasn't been great, having not beaten them since Round 16, 2011, and admittedly they will have a slight advantage having played in China twice before. However I think it doesn't account for much and will be a very neutral ground. If the game was played in Adelaide I would lean towards the Power, but I think this will be a real tight contest which we could very well win in the end.

Saints by 7 points.

Thoughts?

I know we're missing Steven, Gears, Carlisle, Hanners, JWeb, Lonie and they all make a huge difference in our side. During 2016 to 2017, Robbo playing HB, controlling that back half with his kicks, his leadership along side Snake, and we miss that dearly, despite our backline playing really well, none of them look like that yet apart from Battle at times.

We need to keep winning, so the best team must be picked (stating the obvious I know) Young has to be left out, did absolutely nothing. Philips had a stinker, but may get a reprieve. Parker redeemed himself after a couple of quiet games, and Kent stays in too. Should be an interesting game. We won ugly against the blues, after a month of wearing our arses for hats, and I think we'll be better for it. I think it'll be a close game, with a hopeful win to us...because if we do get over the line against Port, we'll have our mojo back, and that may be enough to open that dusty tin of worms lying in a dark corner for the last 7 years or so, marked confidence.

Young and Phillips have to go out, surely.

Both started with a bit of a bang, but have since dropped right off.

In Young's case, he was good in the first half last week in particular, and kicked a couple of snags, but yesterday he might as well have not been out there, and it was almost as if he was trying to ensure he didn't play next week (perhaps he has something against overseas travel!?). He was lucky to have gotten a call-up in the first place, so it's back to Sandy- where he for the time being clearly belongs.

In Phillips case, he was on fire at the start of his first game back (9 disposals in the first quarter), but then had just 14 more for the next 3 quarters, and has followed that up with just 13 last week (albeit he spent a bit of time off after that knock, but not too much- played only 10% less than the week before) and just the 12 (with a goal) yesterday.

I don't think I need to tell anyone that that is waaaayyyyy below par for someone who is taking up a valuable midfield (wing) spot (unless they're doing Peter Matera type things with it, which he certainly doesn't) and to pretty much seal his fate, he made a couple of very costly blunders to go with it.

For mine it would be madness to have him taking up a wing for another week (and that's basically the only role he plays), while we have guys like Billings, Newnes, Acres and Sincs who would almost certainly play it better.

After the Paton for Long swap last week, we were low on backline options and overflowing with forwardline ones this week, so if those two go out, it would make sense for one of Geary/Paton/White/Coffield to come in for Young, and then we might as well bring Hunter in for Phillips. Or maybe even two of the other 4.

Whoever it is, it needs to be someone more versatile (and preferably better) than Ed. Coffield can play wing if need be (did so in his very first game for us and had 19 and a goal) and I'd probably prefer Paton there over Ed too.

Don't see anyone else getting dropped and don't think anyone else deserves to.

Last edited:
With some injuries if their own Port are beatable. IIRC Rockcliff will be added to the list too.

Hope they rest Lycett for another week also! 😉

Out: Phillips Young Marsh*

In: From Coffield, White, Clark, Hind and hopefully Geary*

Get it done Saints.

I'd like Bruce to go but it probably can't be done until Max is ready to go for team structure. Young out. Long out. Geary, Hannebury in!

I'd like Bruce to go but it probably can't be done until Max is ready to go for team structure. Young out. Long out. Geary, Hannebury in!
Bruce to go where? You do realise he taken many contested marks this year. Been quite good and works so hard. Also helps in the ruck. Stays whether max is right or not imo.

Happy with Yesterday.

For mine this week it has to be;
Out: Long, Phillips
In: Paton/Gesry and Clark

Young can have one more week just to see if he had an off game. Gears is potentially in if not Paton is right. Clark is a good replacement for Phillips 29 and 32 over the last two weeks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pivotal game. Once again we've mashed our percentage so finals hopes would have to be based on us being a game clear of the other teams around the 8 at the sharp end of the season. We're going to do our percentage no favours by playing Geelong and Crows away so 13 wins is required imo.

After the bye we play all the current bottom six teams - all must wins, then need to pinch one from either Freo or Bris at Marvel. Beat Port this week and it's 13 wins. Simples ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back