Autopsy Round 11, 2019: St.Kilda v Port Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

Marshall and Gresham are the only players that can hold their head up high after that deplorable effort.
Absolutely disgusting. It would only make sense if half the side was sick either from a virus or food poisoning. Absolutely no run and weak at the contest. It didn’t help port couldn’t miss and we couldn’t score even if it was an absolute gimme.

Also, can someone explain to me why Newnes NEVER gets dropped?
I think this question gets asked every week, and I don't think anyone's actually tried to answer it yet.
Could it be a bit like Mav last year? We're playing him to try to create a perception that he's a best 22 player and get a trade for him at year end?
(Only half serious, and we all know we got nothing for Mav after all that talk last year)

He started the season well, and I think his opening 5 minutes or so has been pretty good in several games this year. When he gets a goal, he looks like it matters to him, but throughout last year I really questioned his effort when he didn't have the ball. A lot of times last year I saw players holding the footy with no option up ahead and Newnes was plodding around, not working to give an option. The good midfielders are always trying to get the footy, even if it's likely the option won't be used.

I only watch the games on TV, so it's hard to tell why he's not getting involved more often. He's a handy player with a mature body and plenty of exp. We need a lot more from him to justify keeping Clark out imo. Clark could do very little at least as well as Newnes does.

I thought we'd have a tough day.

Gutted for Gears.

I don't know why so many people were tipping us. We have a long way to go. It's about time everyone, including the powers that be at the club, starting realising this. We need players who are good kicks. I know i'm a broken record but until that happens we're going nowhere. Afl is a tough, hard game but at the heart of it, it's still a game of skill. We lack skill. Big time.

I realise there were tough circumstances today though. It still doesn't change where we're at.

FWIW i didn't see most of the game.
Its been our achilies heel since 2012. The problem is you would have to get rid 30 players. May take another 5 years. So many poor skilled players. Were in for a long second half of the season. Were going to get some thumpings from avg teams.

I just want to mention my thoughts of our current situation.
Forget this China game. Obviously had a few that were crook, first time in a very foreign city, Port had 17 goals 2 behinds at one point FFS! etc, etc,
I am happy to write off this one game to a bad experience, let the boys reset over the Bye, look to get a few capable soldiers in over the next few games.
BTW Dont be in a rush to get Hanners, Jake or King in the side, better off waiting until they are 100% ready to go
My 2 cents worth....

Yeah right you've just proven you have no idea he at least took 6 or 7 marks down back when needed.

We kicked it to him in space. Longer could have done as well with that kind of delivery.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If the club are serious they should drop up to 6 players. Also, can someone explain to me why Newnes NEVER gets dropped? He wasn't our worst yesterday, but Captain Vanilla really does very little for our team.
I bet they would say its because he is one of the better kicks in the team. I would agree, technically he is. Problem is WHERE he kicks it to!
I agree time for him to have a spell at Sandy and earn his spot back

Missed the game this weekend but just watched the replay. IMO based on selection and game-style we got exactly what we deserved.

But at the end of the day I am sure we will blame the injuries, the food, the weather, the travel or something we else couldn't control. So much easier that way.

Anyway, most of my thoughts are well documented. One thing did stick out to me though (other than the obvious finding that underperforming players who didn't deserve to be picked underperformed).

Re Coffield:
He trained all preseason for a role as a mid, then played the first few games at Sandy as a forward. Surprisingly he barely got a touch. He then played the next few games at Sandy as a mid and seriously struggled. He was then sent back to the HBF a few weeks ago. Struggled first week or 2, followed by an average game and then one slightly above average. IMO he was just starting to look settled and on the right track (stats would back that up too). So with him finally moving in the right direction, do we

1. leave him to play the same role at the same level for another week (stick with what finally appears to be working)?
2. go back to plan A and play Coff as a mid this week (because with Hanners and Armo there that is a good opportunity)?
3. fly him halfway around the world to play a game in 30+ degree heat at a level he is clearly not currently ready for (while also leaving 2/3 more solid ready to go options at home)?

And people wonder why our club struggles developing high end talent into elite players ...

Last edited:
Thanks for the game.

We are a coin toss at the moment and we could have easily lost that game by 10 goals today. It’s not really something any of us can prepare for.

Re: China. You’ll be better for the first go around. You fly earlier next year and split over two flights (to make sure all you big boys get the leg room). You already have east coast sponsors lining up to be involved in Australia week. If you guys have any stroke with your club at all, petition for a seperate game. One opens the week and one closes it. Commercially it could do wonders for you guys as a permanent resident and allow you to rotate opponents and exploit their lack of local experience.

Again, thanks for the game and as a club you guys made the best out of a **** sandwich the AFL made for you.
Thanks but I definitely don’t share your enthusiasm for China and I’m sure the players don’t either.

Perhaps try a different time slot

2hh0mdl.jpg

Missed the game this weekend but just watched the replay. IMO based on selection and game-style we got exactly what we deserved.

But at the end of the day I am sure we will blame the injuries, the food, the weather, the travel or something we else couldn't control. So much easier that way.

Anyway, most of my thoughts are well documented. One thing did stick out to me though (other than the obvious finding that underperforming players who didn't deserve to be picked underperformed).

Re Coffield:
He trained all preseason for a role as a mid, then played the first few games at Sandy as a forward. Surprisingly he barely got a touch. He then played the next few games at Sandy as a mid and seriously struggled. He was then sent back to the HBF a few weeks ago. Struggled first week or 2, followed by an average game and then one slightly above average. IMO he was just starting to look settled and on the right track (stats would back that up too). So with him finally moving in the right direction, do we

1. leave him to play the same role at the same level for another week (stick with what finally appears to be working)?
2. go back to plan A and play Coff as a mid this week (because with Hanners and Armo there that is a good opportunity)?
3. fly him halfway around the world to play a game in 30+ degree heat at a level he is clearly not currently ready for (while also leaving 2/3 more solid ready to go options at home)?

And people wonder why our club struggles developing high end talent into elite players ...

Agree mate hopefully start to support young players , selection key component.playing roles that help
them succeed than fail. Positives for me are Wilkie , Marshall & Marsh something to build on.
Really happy with Clark like the vision the kid possesses. But think we might trade players that will
shock ....Lethlean & Gubby pretty ruthless operators

Re Coffield:

Coffield was tried in very early intraclubs as a mid but they realised he was not ready for that role and was sent back. Not sure he ever really was tried as a forward but does help the agenda. People whinged that he wasn't getting a game but when hindsight shows he played ordinary its richos fault. Where was this post when selected? Ive worked it out. You are the TOT. No wonder you ignore me.

I just want to mention my thoughts of our current situation.
Forget this China game. Obviously had a few that were crook, first time in a very foreign city, Port had 17 goals 2 behinds at one point FFS! etc, etc,
I am happy to write off this one game to a bad experience, let the boys reset over the Bye, look to get a few capable soldiers in over the next few games.
BTW Dont be in a rush to get Hanners, Jake or King in the side, better off waiting until they are 100% ready to go
My 2 cents worth....

What you are saying makes sense and deep down I think you are right.... Butttt it seems like we are eternally waiting for blokes to be "100% ready to go". When do you pull trigger?

Coffield was tried in very early intraclubs as a mid but they realised he was not ready for that role and was sent back. Not sure he ever really was tried as a forward but does help the agenda. People whinged that he wasn't getting a game but when hindsight shows he played ordinary its richos fault. Where was this post when selected? Ive worked it out. You are the TOT. No wonder you ignore me.

Can you really blame people for wanting to see our top draft picks actually get games? They are so rarely picked it's like sighting a unicorn.

What you are saying makes sense and deep down I think you are right.... Butttt it seems like we are eternally waiting for blokes to be "100% ready to go". When do you pull trigger?

Can you really blame people for wanting to see our top draft picks actually get games? They are so rarely picked it's like sighting a unicorn.

Im not blaming them. I was actually suggesting it was hindsight to say he should have stayed in Melbourne.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back