Autopsy Round 11, 2019: St.Kilda v Port Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

LeonardHayes87

All Australian
Oct 13, 2016
AFL Club
St Kilda
Triple M saying lots of talk about how unorganised the club was for the trip and the players didn’t want to be there and complained the whole time
A successful club plays with an “any time, anywhere” attitude. They also don’t find excuses to not play well.

Players are paid, and paid well, to represent the club. Having followed a few of them on Instagram I can tell you they certainly enjoyed their time in Shanghai post game... drinking, enjoying the night life, shopping.

I’ve got no problem with that at all. But if the reports are true that they didn’t want to be there and complained, time to grow up.

Mowman

Cancelled
Day Off
Veteran St Kilda - Marcus Windhager Player Sponsor 2023 10k Posts St Kilda - Marcus Windhager Player Sponsor 2022 St Kilda - James Frawley Player Sponsor 2021 Saints Pledge Contributor St Kilda - Doulton Langlands Player Sponsor 2020 St Kilda - Robbie Young Player Sponsor 2019
May 19, 2013
A successful club plays with an “any time, anywhere” attitude. They also don’t find excuses to not play well.

Players are paid, and paid well, to represent the club. Having followed a few of them on Instagram I can tell you they certainly enjoyed their time in Shanghai post game... drinking, enjoying the night life, shopping.

I’ve got no problem with that at all. But if the reports are true that they didn’t want to be there and complained, time to grow up.
Was listening to Triple M when JB Brownless & Nathan Brown started talking about it, saying there was a lot of talk about how unhappy players were ect

We have quite a few players who can get the ball, get an acceptable number of possessions and look good in the process, but do little damage to the opposition. Can't say over the last few seasons that I've see any of our players who play inspirational footy, and only occasional glimpses from Jack Steven, but inconsistent. The more successful teams seem to have these players who can noticeably lift for a quarter and change the course of a game to their team's advantage. If we keep plodding as we are, then I think a big cleanout is needed, but of course, easier said than done.

I think that we continue to clean out is the issue. We have turned over most of our list in the last 5 years. Only a handful of players have been around longer and we are the second youngest/ most inexperienced side in the AFL. Stuv, Robbo and Paddy probably definitely gone and Longer/ Pierce would be unlikely to go around again. Brown might be at the end too. Players who lift their sides are generally the guys with over 100 games, we have very few of those and the ones we do have a B grade or below.

We need to play kids and bring in a couple of ready to go players to stay competitive now.

Was listening to Triple M when JB Brownless & Nathan Brown started talking about it, saying there was a lot of talk about how unhappy players were ect

That sounds like we are soft as *, that's a good junket for young players.

Now the dust has settled somewhat I've dug out this photo of me in happier times - Sunday morning pre-game, Nanjing Road East near The Bund.

DTNanjingRoadEastShanghai-2019-900px.jpg

I think that we continue to clean out is the issue. We have turned over most of our list in the last 5 years. Only a handful of players have been around longer and we are the second youngest/ most inexperienced side in the AFL. Stuv, Robbo and Paddy probably definitely gone and Longer/ Pierce would be unlikely to go around again. Brown might be at the end too. Players who lift their sides are generally the guys with over 100 games, we have very few of those and the ones we do have a B grade or below.

We need to play kids and bring in a couple of ready to go players to stay competitive now.

It takes around 5 years to get to 100 games IF you play every game.

So 2019 compared to 2014. ( not counting guys who only played 1 or 2 )
Most disposals per game : Montagna 24. Hayes 23. Steven 23. Armitage 22. Ray 21. VS Ross 26, Billings 26, Steele 23, Dunstan 22, Gresham 22.
Contested : Hayes 10, Arimtage 10, Steven 7, Montagna 8, Dunstan 8. vs Dunstan 13, Marshall 11, Gresham 11, Steele 10, Sinclair 9.
Most Clangers : Maister, Montagna, Gilbert, Steven , Armitage ( all around 3 ) vs Gresham 4. Steele 4, Newnes 3, Dunstan 3, Bruce 3
Marks : Riewoldt 9, Fisher 7, Stanley 6, Gwilt 6, Dempster 6 vs..Battle 6, Billings 6, Savage 5, Membrey 5 , Newnes 5.
Cont Marks : Maister 1.8 Fisher 1.7, Stanley 1.6, Reiwoldt 1.5 , Hickey 1.2 vs Bruce 2, Membrey 1.4, Marshall 1, Billins 0.9
Hitouts : Longer 26, Hickey 24, Stanley 8 : Hayes 2, Lee 1. vs Marshall 26, Bruce 1.5 , Acres 0.7, Brown 0.7
Clearances: Armitage 5.5, Hayes 4.9, Steven 4.5, Montagna 4.1, Dunstan 3 vs. Dunstan 6.6, Marshall 5.2, Gresham 4.9, Steele 4.2, Ross 4.1
Tackles : Lenny 7, Jones 5, Saunders 5, Weller 5, Steven 5 vs Steele 7, Dunstan 5, Sinclair 4.5, Ross 3.6, Marshall 3.6
Goals : Reiwoldt 2.2, Minchington 1.3, Milera 1.0, Billings 0.9, Stanley 0.9 vs Membrey 1.9, Bruce 1.2, Parker 1.1, Lonie 1. Kent/Gresh 0.9

Conclusion:
Lenny was a better ruck than Acres, and also better around the ground.
We should have been playing him in the ruck ahead of Longer.

Sep 28, 2016
AFL Club
St Kilda
Out of curiosity I wander across to the PA board to find out how they’ve gone after the China game.
To find out:
They have lost each of their games after the China game.
And they’ve had to travel to: Geelong, Tasmania and now Perth.
I thought we were hard done by with this game in Townsville.
Seems the AFL is an equal opportunity mugger.

But: we have achieved something today that Port hasn’t.

We won.

(Footnote: GC didn’t win any of their post China games).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back