Review Round 11, 2020 - Brisbane Lions vs. Western Bulldogs

Who were your five best players against the Bulldogs?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

It seems tall forwards are getting free kicks for very minor jumper pulls whereas small forwards (e.g. Charlie) need to get their head removed to earn a free. Definite decision by the umpiring fraternity to not pay frees anywhere on the ground if the player exaggerates contact, even if the free is there (e.g Charlie, Robbo and Zorks).
Didn't seem to worry them with Ward , 2 minutes to go.

It seems tall forwards are getting free kicks for very minor jumper pulls whereas small forwards (e.g. Charlie) need to get their head removed to earn a free. Definite decision by the umpiring fraternity to not pay frees anywhere on the ground if the player exaggerates contact, even if the free is there (e.g Charlie, Robbo and Zorks).

My suspicion is that at the moment umpires aren't given much opportunity to make those sorts of decisions. They're spread out across the country.

I think a lot more attention needs to be paid to Steve Hocking's role. One of the first things he did after being appointed GM of Football Operations was to sack Schwab as head of umpiring and replace him with a much less high profile figure. Since then he's more or less become the spokesperson on all things umpiring, and while I have no inside knowledge at all, I suspect that he's more interested in feedback from the AFL clubs than the umpires. After all, he'd spent most of his professional career working within a club.

The umpires themselves probably have very little chance to give feedback on overall officiating strategy.

How you can get a "kick" out of that is beyond me.

Bont doesn't react at all, nor do any other Dogs players.

Cheech.....Christo must have really gone searching to find that one
Happened to be my favourite Eagles play of the game, chased hard from the bounce and harassed Bont to win us possession.

Certainly doesn't look like a kick and as you say no reaction from Bont either.

Brisbane Lions v Western Bulldogs
10 Lachie Neale (BL)
8 Dayne Zorko (BL)
5 Eric Hipwood (BL)
4 Jarryd Lyons (BL)
2 Jack Macrae (WB)
1 Zac Bailey (BL)

MacRae receives 2 votes from a generous coach for racking up ineffective disposals
Beverage is the worst coach in the league when it comes to coaches votes. He values stats above all else IMO. Never mind actual game influence or the final result.

Brisbane Lions v Western Bulldogs
10 Lachie Neale (BL)
8 Dayne Zorko (BL)
5 Eric Hipwood (BL)
4 Jarryd Lyons (BL)
2 Jack Macrae (WB)
1 Zac Bailey (BL)

MacRae receives 2 votes from a generous coach for racking up ineffective disposals

In fairness I certainly would have given him votes. Bont as well. Without those two the Bulldogs would have been nowhere. Both got a lot of it and were very influential. it was certainly not there fault a lot of their teammates were a level below on the night.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In fairness I certainly would have given him votes. Bont as well. Without those two the Bulldogs would have been nowhere. Both got a lot of it and were very influential. it was certainly not there fault a lot of their teammates were a level below on the night.
I think you're being overly generous. Two midfielders given votes in a midfield badly beaten? I agree it's one or the other and Macrae did more. Bont wasn't better for his team than Bailey was for ours.

Back