Review Round 11, 2020 - Brisbane Lions vs. Western Bulldogs

Who were your five best players against the Bulldogs?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Let's be honest, CEY isn't going anywhere. Even when he has an off game his big body demands attention in the contest and makes things easier for lach, lyons and zorks. Given we've seen how challenging it can be for even a very promising young mid to fill a similar role as effectively when Tommy Berry was in i reckon we keep him rolling on this season unless he has a few shockers. Probably next year is when we see t Berry and one of the other young mids like dev make a real push for a role.

Last edited:
Let's be honest, CEY isn't going anywhere. Even when he has an off game his big body demands attention in the contest and makes things easier for lack, lyons and zorks. Given we've seen how challenging it can be for even a very promising young mid to fill a similar role as effectively when Tommy Berry was in i reckon we keep him rolling on this season unless he has a few shockers. Probably next year is when we see t Berry and one of the other young mids like dev make a real push for a role.

Yeah, no filling the role so gotta take the good with the bad, I guess. Most frustrating part I guess was some times forward we he contributed to the contest but then wasn't clean enough at ground level in some instances or quick enough in others to capitalise. Still had some good moments.

Last year I didn't see the promise of Bailey. He is starting to put game after game together. Was there anyone on Bigfooty last year singing his praises? I cannot remember anyone.

Into the midfield next for Zac. I wonder how good he is going to be?

Starc had a unfortunate night, coughing up a few, but he will be OK. Answerth and Witherden are now starting 22.

Ah Chee: clearly better forward, clutch contested marks which set a great time.
Hipwood: seriously up on recent form, got some reward for effort and made a contest, didn't slip over.
Jarrod Lyons: such an important cog, shepherds, marks, clutch in chains, watching him is like watching a how to video.
Neale: genius
Mcinerney: reliable and impactful

Great win, well done boys. So chuffed we didn't need to rest more and were clearly up to the challenge. Used rotations well and looked good with Witho Answerth rich and Birchall back there

Last year I didn't see the promise of Bailey. He is starting to put game after game together. Was there anyone on Bigfooty last year singing his praises? I cannot remember anyone.

Starc had a unfortunate night, coughing up a few, but he will be OK. Answerth and Witherden are now starting 22.
I think Answerth definitely best 22...don't think Witho is with everyone available

Very strong win.

Can't be too harsh on anyone because you just don't know who was sore and struggled to get out there. Turns out they were probably just as tired.

The team tonight was the best balanced line up we've had all year across around the ground.

Zorks was sensational and showed great leadership all night . His kicking hasn't been as effective since he was injured . Sometimes I think he's done and then he just takes off like a jet.

Neale is a freak player ,so clean with his hands . Lyons likewise . Oscar has a huge heart . When he really learns the art of ruckwork he'll be some player. Eagles did all you could expect and just gave us that bit extra when Oscar was resting ,especially in the first and second quarters.

We've got a few guys who've been a little down but they all contributed something. I've thought for some time Ah Chee has the potential to blow games out of the water ,he doesn't realise himself how good he could be ,just needs the confidence to take the game on . But he did seem to shut Daniel down to some degree.

Ah Chee: clearly better forward, clutch contested marks which set a great time.
Hipwood: seriously up on recent form, got some reward for effort and made a contest, didn't slip over.
Jarrod Lyons: such an important cog, shepherds, marks, clutch in chains, watching him is like watching a how to video.
Neale: genius
Mcinerney: reliable and impactful

Great win, well done boys. So chuffed we didn't need to rest more and were clearly up to the challenge. Used rotations well and looked good with Witho Answerth rich and Birchall back there

Loving what Answerth is contributing since coming back. Witho playing very well too and seems determined to hold that spot. I like the make up of the defence group better with Ah Chee up forward. Ah Chee does seem a far more natural forward than a half back.

Loving what Answerth is contributing since coming back. Witho playing very well too and seems determined to hold that spot. I like the make up of the defence group better with Ah Chee up forward. Ah Chee does seem a far more natural forward than a half back.
I just think Ah Chee is wasted down back. Cameron/Ah Chee/ Rayner could be a nightmare for defenders over the next few years.

Let's hope Charlie is ok ,you never know with those jolting injuries.

Was there any reason he came back on ?? I just couldn't figure that out at all.

Me too re Ah Chee, he was basically being asked to be both which was too tall an ask imo but reflects highly on him that he was nearly pulling it off. The grunt and ability he has fwd of centre is more than adequate to command a spot

I just think Ah Chee is wasted down back. Cameron/Ah Chee/ Rayner could be a nightmare for defenders over the next few years.

Maybe he wanted to remind us all of the goosebumps we got when he came on after buggering his arm against gws in the finals then slotted home that big goal from the pocket?

Can only assume he passed all the sideline fitness tests and they still felt the game was in the balance.

Not praises, but he had some stand out traits like pace that the rest of the squad didn't have. He was getting caught due to lack of strength, but this year he has matured for sure.

We have one more in our ranks who can follow Zac Bailey's path - Tom Berry. Hope he gets there too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The midfield group put on a masterclass tonight - absolutely dominated the second quarter which helped the forwards get genuine 1v1s. Hopefully hippy and continue kicking bags on a consistent basis
Annoyed that Ballenden didn’t play but surely he’ll get more chances soon. I’d like to look to include Matho or dev for CEY. Very slow player who cost us a few forward attacks

Can only assume he passed all the sideline fitness tests and they still felt the game was in the balance.
Well he obviously passed all the sideline tests but he was proppy and iced as soon as he came off.

I was fairly confident that we had the game well won ,I was wincing when he went for a couple of contests.

He'll be very sore tomorrow, fingers crossed it's just bruising.

Happy to put my hand up.

Coleman medal

CEY has copped a little criticism. He got into great position to win the ball clear several times and just couldn't get his hands around it. Also didn't seem to be imposing himself physically like I've seen him do on occasions. Maybe he wasn't quite right.

Watching Adelaide play, and reading their team board, it seems like one of their bigger complaints over the past few years is the inability of their high performance team to build up their players running capacities to an adequate level. I don't think it'll ever be his biggest strength, but I wonder if another year under Austin under the belt, whether CEY could improve in that aspect to get him to a reasonable level.

Voted for the 3 big mids Bailey and Big 0. Eagles stats show nothing but would much rather him backing up Oscar than Ballenden or Smith.

Berry's form is alarming. His awareness has gone to sh*t.

Changes for North

Berry - Robinson - Cameron - OUT
Mathieson - Robertson - Bundy - IN

CEY also likely to be dropped
personally i think berry looks stuffed.( tired). I thought he looked tired in the last quarter of the essendon game. Might need a week of to recover?

I loved Fagans comments RE: Ah Chee - all about how when he starts to believe he is as talented as he is, he will be able to play anywhere on the field and have an impact.

I love our coach - would have been easy to drop guys like Ah Chee (and Cam last year) but be knew that if he kept with them, focused on building their belief etc that things will come together. He has seen this approach work at the Hawks and it's a mindset that is proving to work with Brisbane.

someone needs to pump up that footy...

and good on Fages with the "I don't know if anyone realises" re: our breaks between games. Maybe the commentator should get that memo before they start :)

We come out of this 4 game period with big ticks. The good thing about a short break is not having to dwell on the Richmond result.

Gave my votes to the guy in section 42 who started the Brisbane chant all night. The best chant starter I’ve come across. Next best to the Liooooons chant starter who realised early days that he was playing second fiddle, but did his piece.

One negative for me was the constant seat shuffling to better positions. From the Crows game to now, supporters seem to be relaxing on the COVID rules. We are so lucky to have a lot of our freedoms still in QLD and to be able to go to the footy is an absolute luxury. The wilful ignorance and complacency on display tonight is so frustrating. Buy your ticket, sit in your seat and stay there. GABBA staff need to be onto it too- it was largely watched and ignored all night

We come out of this 4 game period with big ticks. The good thing about a short break is not having to dwell on the Richmond result.

Gave my votes to the guy in section 42 who started the Brisbane chant all night. The best chant starter I’ve come across. Next best to the Liooooons chant starter who realised early days that he was playing second fiddle, but did his piece.

One negative for me was the constant seat shuffling to better positions. From the Crows game to now, supporters seem to be relaxing on the COVID rules. We are so lucky to have a lot of our freedoms still in QLD and to be able to go to the footy is an absolute luxury. The wilful ignorance and complacency on display tonight is so frustrating. Buy your ticket, sit in your seat and stay there. GABBA staff need to be onto it too- it was largely watched and ignored all night

Staff member near us was awesome and trying to keep people seated correctly. Only a couple who did t cooperate.

That was awesome .
Ah Chee a revelation in forward.
Big O taking massive steps toward true elite. Love his ability to take a forward mark. Always gets the crowd up and about.
Eric benefited by Charlie being kept a bit quiet, which is exactly the way a forward line should operate.
Mid field sublime, seem to read each other’s movements before they even process what’s happening
Love the support for Eagles, but not sure he won himself a return game.
My favourite player, Mitch, needs the week rest, tough if it is a niggling injury suspect a week won’t be enough.
Love what witho does except when he is chasing. Boy is as slow as treacle.

Looking forward to rewatching tomorrow. And on Monday, and possibly Tuesday. Starting to get comfortable with this retirement gig.

Back