Preview Round 11, 2020: Fremantle v Hawthorn, 10 August 2020, 8.40pm @ Optus Stadium

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 26, 2011
Where kookaburras chuckle.
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
LA Lakers
Nash....urrgh. Why not give Finn or another young midfielder a go...its not like for like with Nash and Burgoyne...Why does Clarkson come out in a presser and say our young brigade is ready to go...and replace a midfielder/HB with a gangly deer forward pocket. These are the kinds of weird and frustrating selections that smell all Clarkson. Hope it doesn't bite us after a good win!

Nash....urrgh. Why not give Finn or another midfielder a go...its not like for like with Nash and Burgoyne...Why does Clarkson come out in a presser and say our young brigade is ready to go...and replace a midfielder/HB with a gangly deer forward pocket. These are the kinds of weird and frustrating selections that smell all Clarkson. Hope it doesn't bite us after a good win!
Guess you've not been paying attention to where Burgoyne has played this year.

Oct 3, 2006
Manchester
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
EPL
How TF do we know how good he is or isn’t if we’ve never seen him?

I’ve been pretty critical on team selections this year but I trust the club in their handling of Finn. Get a sense that they really rate him but are holding him back until he hits all his KPI’s and does the good old Hawthorn apprenticeship first

I’ve been pretty critical on team selections this year but I trust the club in their handling of Finn. Get a sense that they really rate him but are holding him back until he hits all his KPI’s and does the good old Hawthorn apprenticeship first
Or we may possibly be training him up to trade to Sydney for 1/5 of FA so he can be their next captain.....

Aug 31, 2006
A state of delusion
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Nash....urrgh. Why not give Finn or another young midfielder a go...its not like for like with Nash and Burgoyne...Why does Clarkson come out in a presser and say our young brigade is ready to go...and replace a midfielder/HB with a gangly deer forward pocket. These are the kinds of weird and frustrating selections that smell all Clarkson. Hope it doesn't bite us after a good win!

Urrghh ... because a 22yo is young... urgghhh....

rei154

Premiership Player
Jun 13, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Nash is only 22, shows a lot of aggression and plays like a small for someone his size (Burgers has played as a small for most forward of the year). Considering Nash was averaging a ton of goal assists, was high on the pressure metrics and is someone who can throw his body around up front (something we desperately need) I think it's a smart inclusion.

Roddy

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 10, 2006
M-Town
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Aussie Cricket team.
Ok fair enough.

I’d still love to see him get at least a coupla cracks before the end of the year.

Billyc

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 17, 2009
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Um, Nash is young.

I am happy with the Nash selection. Our pressure game is poor and it’s something the best sides do very well - the Port v Richmond game demonstrated amazing pressure. I think Nash has a role to play for us this year and moving forward in that part of the game.

To be an effective forward, you need to be able to provide both pressure and be dangerous around the goals.

Not sure Nash provides the latter. Puopolo provides plenty of pressure acts, but since losing the likes of Rioli, Rough, Bruest and Gunston to defense over the last 18 months, he hasn't been dangerous around the goals. Everyone on here knows how that turned out and how frustrating it was as a supporter.

May 3, 2018
Central Coast NSW
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Detroit Pistons
To be an effective forward, you need to be able to provide both pressure and be dangerous around the goals.

Not sure Nash provides the latter. Puopolo provides plenty of pressure acts, but since losing the likes of Rioli, Rough, Bruest and Gunston to defense over the last 18 months, he hasn't been dangerous around the goals. Everyone on here knows how that turned out and how frustrating it was as a supporter.
All of Poppy’s numbers in pressure are well down this season along with not hitting the scoreboard. In years gone by you could put him in the team just on pressure acts alone but Father Time remains undefeated and unfortunately he caught up to Poppy over 2 seasons ago. Awesome awesome servant of the HFC who’s journey to the top after injuring his back is nothing short of miraculous.

kazzooka

Premiership Player
May 20, 2010
AFL Club
Hawthorn
All of Poppy’s numbers in pressure are well down this season along with not hitting the scoreboard. In years gone by you could put him in the team just on pressure acts alone but Father Time remains undefeated and unfortunately he caught up to Poppy over 2 seasons ago. Awesome awesome servant of the HFC who’s journey to the top after injuring his back is nothing short of miraculous.
Yup, poppy used to be the best pressure player in the competition, okay maybe 2nd to Cyril. But back then you could pick him on that alone, but back then he also took hangers and kicked lots of goals.

Mar 24, 2017
Blackburn
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Box Hill Hawks
Maybe just maybe, he's not as good as a lot of our supporter base thinks he is. Everyone is expecting Josh Kennedy mark 2. Just let him develop.
If you read the scratch match reports, he is ‘still learning our game style’. I.e. he is not yet doing what the coaches want him to do or not playing how we need him to play. Reckon he will debut round 1, 2021 and hold his place once he is in.

Hot Diggity

All Australian
Jun 19, 2020
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I think Conor will be more than handy in the wet given where he grew up...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back