Preview Round 11, 2020: Fremantle v Hawthorn, 10 August 2020, 8.40pm @ Optus Stadium

Status
Not open for further replies.

rei154

Premiership Player
Jun 13, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I must have missed something when I was watching Freo v Collingwood- I thought Freo largely looked quite good given the conditions and being up against a team we're all expecting to push for top 6. This will by no means be an easy win for us.
I think the ruck battle will be a very interesting one- neither team has a really solid/strong ruck and I think Freo looked really good last week when they were sharking off the oppo ruck (their coach having a deeper knowledge here definitely helped it along). Given our rucks aren't amazing tap ruckers I can see it getting sloppy in the middle and we've just gotta read the slops better.

Reckon Nash comes in for Burgoyne if he misses.

Too much talk about O'Brien being dropped despite his 'dropped marks' or whatever else; he dropped one mark, and he made up for it with a desperate tackle on a quick Petrevski-Seton that few other 190+ cm forwards in the game could have done.

Oct 3, 2006
Manchester
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
EPL
Reckon Nash comes in for Burgoyne if he misses.

Too much talk about O'Brien being dropped despite his 'dropped marks' or whatever else; he dropped one mark, and he made up for it with a desperate tackle on a quick Petrevski-Seton that few other 190+ cm forwards in the game could have done.

I have been very critical of TOB this year (have been a massive believer since he was recruited ) and I must say without him we are significantly worse off. Timmy stays for mine, no brainer

Milkshaker

Cancelled
Nov 6, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Poor Timmy is the new Schoey. Complete failure by some to understand what his role is in the team.

IMO people understand his role in the team, it has been covered ad nauseum.

What posters want is for TOB (and for the side) to become a top flight player, by sticking a few. If he could do that that for 2-3 seasons we would edge a bit closer to being a very good side. He is a superb kick for goal. He holds a few of those grabs inside 50 and we become super dangerous.

Its a given that he draws a player but its also a given, that defensive smalls will be anticipating the ball coming to ground, when he contests in the air. At the moment we don't have any other mobile aerial threats at all (apart from Gunston). TOB will keep playing because the flip side of his butter fingers is that he is rarely out marked, which is a strength.

Some want him dropped for his limitations, others recognise he still adds value.

He is a bloody enigma of a player but I admire his enthusiasm. Obviously he has Clarko's backing.

Back in to 80's/90's he would have been in the magoos until he clunked them on a regular basis. Its a different game now.

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2007
behind play
AFL Club
Hawthorn
ONE mark?? Did you just watch the last 30 sec of the 2nd quarter?

When we are on top his dropped marks don't hurt us that much and he seems to be our only KPF who at least crashes a pack and brings the ball to ground - even if its by missing the bloody mark. We all agree if he could stick some he'd be great..he tries hard and he's a safe shot at goal which is more that you could say for some.

BUT when the whips are cracking this just doesn't cut it. We just don't see him at all. We need more from him. I'm sure he knows it but he will continue to be a fringe player until he becomes more consistent or loses his place altogether to others who come through and do the job asked.

It shows how shallow we are right now with Patton injured and Lewis out of form (he needs the angry pills too btw if he wants his job back)

NB: I don't include Gunston in this who plays a different role and has been great this year.

ONE mark?? Did you just watch the last 30 sec of the 2nd quarter?

When we are on top his dropped marks don't hurt us that much and he seems to be our only KPF who at least crashes a pack and brings the ball to ground - even if its by missing the bloody mark. We all agree if he could stick some he'd be great..he tries hard and he's a safe shot at goal which is more that you could say for some.

BUT when the whips are cracking this just doesn't cut it. We just don't see him at all. We need more from him. I'm sure he knows it but he will continue to be a fringe player until he becomes more consistent or loses his place altogether to others who come through and do the job asked.

It shows how shallow we are right now with Patton injured and Lewis out of form (he needs the angry pills too btw if he wants his job back)

NB: I don't include Gunston in this who plays a different role and has been great this year.

We don't have better at the moment and he offers other things to the side so no point getting angry at something that we can't change.

Yes I did watch the last 30 seconds of the second, that's the mark.

May 3, 2018
Central Coast NSW
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Detroit Pistons
Just so the media can finally shut up about how old we are I'd really love to see 2 x young guys come in for Burgoyne (37yrs/9mths) and Stratton (31yrs/5mths). Bring CJ (21yrs/1mths) in for Stratts and finally give a debut to Maginness (19yrs/5mths). That would be an age drop of 28 years and 6 months and would hopefully give us a look into how things might look as soon as next season if all works out well.

IN - CJ, Maginness
OUT - Burgoyne, Stratton (both either injured or managed)

Just so the media can finally shut up about how old we are I'd really love to see 2 x young guys come in for Burgoyne (37yrs/9mths) and Stratton (31yrs/5mths). Bring CJ (21yrs/1mths) in for Stratts and finally give a debut to Maginness (19yrs/5mths). That would be an age drop of 28 years and 6 months and would hopefully give us a look into how things might look as soon as next season if all works out well.

IN - CJ, Maginness
OUT - Burgoyne, Stratton (both either injured or managed)
Probably Stratton's best game last week, and he has done some good jobs on Walters in the past. Hardwick goes to Matera.

Doubt Stratts gets dropped

May 3, 2018
Central Coast NSW
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Detroit Pistons
We can now give CJ a game!

Is that you Tom Browne 😂
news-snail-clipping-path-included-image-34404632.jpg

IMO people understand his role in the team, it has been covered ad nauseum.

What posters want is for him and the side to elevate himself into a top flight player, by sticking a few. If he could do that that for 2-3 seasons we would edge a bit closer to being a very good side. He is a superb kick for goal. Hold a few of those grabs inside 50 and we become super dangerous.

Its a given that he draws a player but its also a given, that defensive smalls will be anticipating the ball coming to ground, when he contests in the air. At the moment we don't have any other mobile aerial threats at all (apart from Gunston). TOB will keep playing because the flip side of his butter fingers is that he is rarely out marked which is a strength.

Some want him dropped for his limitations, others recognise he still adds value.

He is a bloody enigma of a player but I admire his enthusiasm. Obviously he has Clarko's backing.

Back in to 80's/90's he would have been in the magoos till he clunked them on a regular basis. Its a different game now.
Of his 60ish (? just guessing) games, he's been that player we want him to be in about 5 of them.

What he excels at, and I mean does probably better than any forward we have, is getting to contests. He reads the play exceptionally well and due to his athleticism, he's able to bend, leap above and get his hands on the ball probably as good as any great mark in the game. He just can't clunk them which makes him so frustrating. But regardless, having him in the team makes our forward line look a lot better.

That all being said, I would hate to read the opposition notes on him each week...

May 3, 2018
Central Coast NSW
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Detroit Pistons
Probably Stratton's best game last week, and he has done some good jobs on Walters in the past. Hardwick goes to Matera.

Doubt Stratts gets dropped
I didn't mean to drop him but rather mange him. He'll likely have the job on Flyin Ryan the week after that too. Either way it was more a wish to have a look into our not too distant future more than anything.

Stratts has been disappointing as hell the last 2 season but I don't hate the guy. When he flew for a mark against the Blues I thought to myself where TF have you been mate. I had a full mullet inspired flashback.

I didn't mean to drop him but rather mange him. He'll likely have the job on Flyin Ryan the week after that too. Either way it was more a wish to have a look into our not too distant future more than anything.

Stratts has been disappointing as hell the last 2 season but I don't hate the guy. When he flew for a mark against the Blues I thought to myself where TF have you been mate. I had a full mullet inspired flashback.
Not sure he'll need to get managed off a 10 day break, and then 6 days leading into next game.

Potentially later in the year off 4 day breaks

Aug 31, 2008
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Nuggets
Some people have forgotten that Lewis' form last season was on the back on a very long pre-season.
You could say he had two pre-seasons last year because he went straight from the end of season into the gym, and then into the proper pre-season program after that.

This summer he had a shoulder RECONSTRUCTION.
That meant he was fighting to reach a healthy baseline rather than build on his previous work.
For a tall and lean guy (big frame, but not yet filled in), he is at a big disadvantage.

You will recall that he was among the top contested marking forwards in the latter part of last season.
You just can't do that if you don't have the gym work to back you up. Seasons KPD are solid rocks and just push you around.

This season is going to be a mixed bag for Lewis.
He hasn't lost his ability.
He will be back and he will be better.

Exactly. It's just about him getting his body right and getting his confidence back. He was excellent last year and in particular the last 6 games he had when he returned from injury. Those were games 9 to 15 in his career (he hasn't even played double figure games as yet). Through that period he was averaging:

Kicks - 10.2
Handballs - 5.16
Marks - 5.8
Goals - 2.16
Behinds - 1.3
Tackles - 1.5

He's the future of our forward line - 1) because he's demonstrated he has the talent, and 2) because we desperately need him to be.

Dec 27, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
San Francisco 49ers
Some people have forgotten that Lewis' form last season was on the back on a very long pre-season.
You could say he had two pre-seasons last year because he went straight from the end of season into the gym, and then into the proper pre-season program after that.

This summer he had a shoulder RECONSTRUCTION.
That meant he was fighting to reach a healthy baseline rather than build on his previous work.
For a tall and lean guy (big frame, but not yet filled in), he is at a big disadvantage.

You will recall that he was among the top contested marking forwards in the latter part of last season.
You just can't do that if you don't have the gym work to back you up. Seasons KPD are solid rocks and just push you around.

This season is going to be a mixed bag for Lewis.
He hasn't lost his ability.
He will be back and he will be better.

Very hard for Lewis to get match fit in Scramble games. Worst season to be coming back from injury by a young inexperienced player.
Lewis will be much better next year.

theiaofseed

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 17, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Exactly. It's just about him getting his body right and getting his confidence back. He was excellent last year and in particular the last 6 games he had when he returned from injury. Those were games 9 to 15 in his career (he hasn't even played double figure games as yet). Through that period he was averaging:

Kicks - 10.2
Handballs - 5.16
Marks - 5.8
Goals - 2.16
Behinds - 1.3
Tackles - 1.5

He's the future of our forward line - 1) because he's demonstrated he has the talent, and 2) because we desperately need him to be.
Lets not also forget Hudson would have struggled to play well with how well our ball movement was functioning over the last month.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back