Preview Round 11, 2020: Fremantle v Hawthorn, 10 August 2020, 8.40pm @ Optus Stadium

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hot Diggity

All Australian
Jun 19, 2020
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Mar 23, 2007
Where Premiership dreams are made...
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Man U, Canucks and 49ers
He was upgraded last week

With Day playing well across half back, not sure there is a role for CJ unless we want him to replace Morrison, who also has the flexibility to play a bit on the wing.

Would really like to see H. Jones get another game.

Hot Cheese Rioli

Debutant
Aug 2, 2008
AFL Club
Hawthorn
With Day playing well across half back, not sure there is a role for CJ unless we want him to replace Morrison, who also has the flexibility to play a bit on the wing.

Agree. I don't think there is an obvious spot at the moment. It would be good to get a look at CJ but not for Morrison. I feel like he's starting to show a bit (2018 style). If we can get him to raise his game another level or two it would be such a win for us. Let's give him the rest of the year and see how he progresses.

theiaofseed

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 17, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn

I'd expect we might give Day a rest at some point, playing AFL with that frame isn't easy, other than that there really isn't an option unless Stratton comes out which wont happen.

Buckemenico

All Australian
Aug 1, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Time to move on Stratton and Scully sorry. I see no future in the AFL for either of them.
Unfortunately, as much as I want them to, they simply cannot do anything at AFL level anymore. Kicking, marking, skills, strength on the ball, tackling. I am just not sure that they are up to the level at any given skill. Sorry. Bring on Finn and CJ

Glacier

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 28, 2007
close
AFL Club
Hawthorn

Agree. I don't think there is an obvious spot at the moment. It would be good to get a look at CJ but not for Morrison. I feel like he's starting to show a bit (2018 style). If we can get him to raise his game another level or two it would be such a win for us. Let's give him the rest of the year and see how he progresses.
Yeah besides the need for speed and flair , yeah no spot for CJ 🤨

Flag08

Premiership Player
Feb 18, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Some people have forgotten that Lewis' form last season was on the back on a very long pre-season.
You could say he had two pre-seasons last year because he went straight from the end of season into the gym, and then into the proper pre-season program after that.

This summer he had a shoulder RECONSTRUCTION.
That meant he was fighting to reach a healthy baseline rather than build on his previous work.
For a tall and lean guy (big frame, but not yet filled in), he is at a big disadvantage.

You will recall that he was among the top contested marking forwards in the latter part of last season.
You just can't do that if you don't have the gym work to back you up. Seasons KPD are solid rocks and just push you around.

This season is going to be a mixed bag for Lewis.
He hasn't lost his ability.
He will be back and he will be better.
Hopefully not in that order

Freshmeat

Senior List
Jul 21, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
We have a 9 day break and a game we have to win. Managing anyone would be silly.
I know we don’t need to “ manage” McEvoy. It’s just an opportunity to blood a new talent. Ceglar can manage the ruck duties on his own for this game & if need be, O’Brien can chop him out. We’ll need McEvoy to be cherry ripe for Naitanui the following game.

Hot Diggity

All Australian
Jun 19, 2020
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Time to move on Stratton and Scully sorry. I see no future in the AFL for either of them.
Unfortunately, as much as I want them to, they simply cannot do anything at AFL level anymore. Kicking, marking, skills, strength on the ball, tackling. I am just not sure that they are up to the level at any given skill. Sorry. Bring on Finn and CJ
Whilst not in our best, they played their roles on Friday.

Stratton did what Stratton used to do - back into oncoming traffic and defend. Scully worked into space, partly because we stopped pissing about with the ball and also the ground.

Stratts will go at year end. Scully has another year, and given the lack of Box Hill action measuring CJ and Finn's progress will be hard. Hence he will stay in.

Hot Diggity

All Australian
Jun 19, 2020
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I know we don’t need to “ manage” McEvoy. It’s just an opportunity to blood a new talent. Ceglar can manage the ruck duties on his own for this game & if need be, O’Brien can chop him out. We’ll need McEvoy to be cherry ripe for Naitanui the following game.
I am dreading that game if Nic Nat keeps up last Saturday's form...

The following game won't matter if we don't get up in this one to keep our slim finals hopes alive.

Mar 26, 2011
Where kookaburras chuckle.
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
LA Lakers
Intriguing game.
Hawks with a bit of confidence. Fremantle's form over the last 5 games is OK! A bigger game in the context of the season than our last. Well on the way to some redemption if we win. Lose and then back in the pack of low lights and scratching for draft picks. On the precipice this game it is. Bigger consequences than we think.
It's going to be a close one. Can go either way and hugely depends on our holy trinity of Worpel, Micthell and O'Meara if they can finally click and form the wedge we need them to be.

Stratton played well. Scully played his role.

"They simply cannot do anything at AFL level anymore"????

You don't have a clue about the game you are watching, only the one you imagine you are watching.

May 3, 2018
Central Coast NSW
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Detroit Pistons
Stratton played well. Scully played his role.

"They simply cannot do anything at AFL level anymore"????

You don't have a clue about the game you are watching, only the one you imagine you are watching.
Cmon man... sometimes people just gotta whinge for that sake of whinging... right? 🤷🏽‍♂️

We're not going to see the best of Scully in shortened game time. It mitigates his major advantage over any replacement player, in that he has less time in any given quarter to work his opponent over.

Even a year older, Tom Scully will play better footy in 2021.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back