Autopsy Round 11, 2020: St.Kilda v Geelong *BYTEL DEBUT*

Saintbloke

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 26, 2015
AFL Club
St Kilda
Allows you to "legally" put your hands in the middle of your opponents back and push them out of the contest before the ball arrives.
Surprised Geelong players were able to put their hands in our guy's backs, as we played as far from opponents as possible. Geelong players could have received the ball, put it down, done up their laces then got on with things before a Saint put any pressure on.

ScrappyDo

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 29, 2018
Omnipotent
AFL Club
St Kilda
I don’t get this playing the rest of the year stuff. Many say it but after a poor game or two some of those many want the player dropped. I agree with the second thing. Couldn’t agree less with the first. Our aim this year is to win as many games as possible and if a young kid isn’t in form he goes. Some older players have points in the bank like hill and some are leaders like geary. Fortunately or unfortunately they keep their position.
Can't both things be true at the same time?

On that game, Bytel deserves another. I think even you would agree with that.

I'm simply not as attached to the win/loss as you are.
I'd love to play a final, but if that weren't to happen, the consolation prize for me is to unearth talent.
From what I've see of this year, and what I expect to come, I don't think Bytel would make the difference between losing and winning, and as such I'm happy to see him get the experience.
But in the immediate time frame, I'd love to see Bytel play alongside Jones and Steele for the next game.

I didn’t see many pushes. Saw them hold their ground with their hands. As I said strength and experience

There were pushes. There were also throws. The obligatory ducks.
But in the general scheme of things even if the umps had blown for many of these it wouldn’t have made a difference.

I was a bit put out at Membreys “ deliberate” - where’s the common sense umps? And Long tackled without the ball and a good number of other incorrect calls. But really, as I say, wasn’t the difference.

Huddo was nowhere near that game. It was Dwayne. Huddo is a complete professional.

Both Geelong fan boys. Huddo doesn't even know who our players are. He jizzes himself over Geelong and Hawks players though.

Jan 10, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Ormond AFC
Can't both things be true at the same time?

On that game, Bytel deserves another. I think even you would agree with that.

I'm simply not as attached to the win/loss as you are.
I'd love to play a final, but if that weren't to happen, the consolation prize for me is to unearth talent.
From what I've see of this year, and what I expect to come, I don't think Bytel would make the difference between losing and winning, and as such I'm happy to see him get the experience.
But in the immediate time frame, I'd love to see Bytel play alongside Jones and Steele for the next game.
Of course he deserves another go but his form should decide if he gets dropped. No free passes. I want us to play finals but more importantly I want us to try and win playing our best team weekly. Winning this year is more vital than any other year. Covid isn’t over next year and if we can’t have full stadiums which I’d suggest is certain without a vaccine our membership will drop. Winning as many games as we can will limit the drop. You can find as many examples as you want to suit whether playing more or less early helps in the future.

kernelT

Can go any club
Aug 15, 2010
Chiraq
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Louis Slungpue
Both Geelong fan boys. Huddo doesn't even know who our players are. He jizzes himself over Geelong and Hawks players though.
The only thing better than watching your side kick 4 goals from 43 inside 50's, is having to listen to an absolute utensil monster like dwayno calling it.

ScrappyDo

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 29, 2018
Omnipotent
AFL Club
St Kilda
Of course he deserves another go but his form should decide if he gets dropped. No free passes. I want us to play finals but more importantly I want us to try and win playing our best team weekly. Winning this year is more vital than any other year. Covid isn’t over next year and if we can’t have full stadiums which I’d suggest is certain without a vaccine our membership will drop. Winning as many games as we can will limit the drop. You can find as many examples as you want to suit whether playing more or less early helps in the future.
OK sure. In the context of memberships I agree with your logic.
But to repeat myself, I don't think Bytel's inclusion would cost us games. Yes, if his form goes in the toilet then he's on the chopping block, but as usual you're playing both sides in this.
You want the best team playing each week, but you say older players have more credits. If you actually want the best team, then you don't hand out credits, you play who is in form.
In the absence of form, you can go conservative with known experience, or you can go progressive and invest in young talent.
Either is a roll of the dice.
This week I'd prioritize a spot for Bytel in front of Gears, Ross, Savage, Lonie, Philips.

PostmanBish

Club Legend
Sep 6, 2019
AFL Club
St Kilda
The important aspects were that Bytel showed what he's got, and should play the rest of the year IMO, and Philips probably just saved his career.
2 youngsters with no form to show just stamped their claims. That's worth a bit within our context..

I'd like to see Byrnes get another run, preferably in the middle, so we can take a second look - Bytel has the advantage of having been settled in the system (even if rehabbing) for 18 months, so he's had more groundwork.

Having Phillips show something last night was a huge positive - and I think Bytel's efforts against a beastly midfield were first-rate.

Jan 10, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Ormond AFC
Could you
OK sure. In the context of memberships I agree with your logic.
But to repeat myself, I don't think Bytel's inclusion would cost us games. Yes, if his form goes in the toilet then he's on the chopping block, but as usual you're playing both sides in this.
You want the best team playing each week, but you say older players have more credits. If you actually want the best team, then you don't hand out credits, you play who is in form.
In the absence of form, you can go conservative with known experience, or you can go progressive and invest in young talent.
Either is a roll of the dice.
This week I'd prioritize a spot for Bytel in front of Gears, Ross, Savage, Lonie, Philips.
I’m saying it like the coach thinks. I don’t select the side but for geary and hill to still be playing then it’s obvious the coach thinks like that. That is why I said fortunately or unfortunately previously. Credits are vital for some players though. A few wanted membery dropped a few weeks ago and in that week he kicked 4 or 5 goals. The reason some players have credits is simple. They have proven form. A young kid has no proven form. That’s the big difference.

We will somehow get through the entire season without King getting a nomination.

Hasn't looked close lately. He suffers from being consistently good rather than outstanding most games.

Jan 10, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Ormond AFC
Unless you have the "C" next to your name, of course. If you do, you'll advocate for their selection no matter what because you can't drop a captain.
That’s not advocating. That’s me telling you what the coach will do. I never pick my side unless I say it’s my side. I pick the side I think the coach will go with. Geary shouldn’t be playing if he can’t play back. Ross is a different story. I still think he should play whether he is vice captain or not.

Oct 2, 2010
AFL Club
St Kilda
Hasn't looked close lately. He suffers from being consistently good rather than outstanding most games.
He was unlucky a few games ago - the one he kicked 3. Thought his consistency and season to date would have given him the edge over the Port guy who had played 2 games since their stats that week were similar.

st_trav_ofWA

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 17, 2015
AFL Club
St Kilda
You still can’t tell me how you know there was another option. From my tv it looked like hill read it wrongly as most said at the time.
if thats the case then there are bigger issues at play as the GC one you can forgive as a mistake but doing the same thing agin in the geelong game in almost the exact same position then something is not right there ...to me it looked like both times Jake was trying to be too cute with a little chip kick to Hill in both situations the better option would have been to go long down the line so if it did get turned over the ball was at least further from goal and potentially able to be thumped out of play by our talls ... if jake wants to hit Hill with that pass it needs to be flat low and fast so he can get it at top speed not loopy in the air spinning floating back down to earth like a feather ...its two poor kicks what ever way you want to dice it but i guess that proves you really dont want your key defender being that outlet kick need to make a rebounding defender taking them

Jan 10, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Ormond AFC
if thats the case then there are bigger issues at play as the GC one you can forgive as a mistake but doing the same thing agin in the geelong game in almost the exact same position then something is not right there ...to me it looked like both times Jake was trying to be too cute with a little chip kick to Hill in both situations the better option would have been to go long down the line so if it did get turned over the ball was at least further from goal and potentially able to be thumped out of play by our talls ... if jake wants to hit Hill with that pass it needs to be flat low and fast so he can get it at top speed not loopy in the air spinning floating back down to earth like a feather ...its two poor kicks what ever way you want to dice it but i guess that proves you really dont want your key defender being that outlet kick need to make a rebounding defender taking them
Is it a wa thing that they can see a better option even when no one else knows if there was a better option. Must be the widescreens in wa. Anyway what I saw was hill backpedaling when he was being asked to come forward. Anyway both you guys win.

st_trav_ofWA

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 17, 2015
AFL Club
St Kilda
Yeah, if we are going to bag Richo for being sh*t, Ratts has to be accountable too. Richo played a lot of the kids that are Ratts first picked and also swapped Bruce for King who is probably around the same level already, Butler for Newnes- huge upgrade, Howard for Brown- upgrade, Hill for Newnes -break even and Paddy for Longer -huge upgrade. Richo had us at 6 wins 6 losses before injury really bit hard and we were struggling to be competitive against good sides. If we fall away now it will be a fail to me. Richo also didn't have Steele as good as he is and Clark, Paton and Coffield playing consistent good footy. Not many excuses for not making the most of this year to me unless we lose a heap of players to injury.
we are playing a lot better footy under Ratts though .... Richo we played one way if it worked we would be a chance if it didnt we were no chance ... under Ratts we have seen a couple ways for us to play and we have been both successful and unsuccessful in the way we play ... thiss season is a strange one that really is hard to make a call on how things are going to pan out WCE looked woeful a few months back now they are unstoppable ... i just want our boys to play finals its been long enough out of the finals and i think making them would be a just reward for the hard work done by everyone at the club ... do i think we can win the flag prob not but hell anything could happen

st_trav_ofWA

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 17, 2015
AFL Club
St Kilda
Is it a wa thing that they can see a better option even when no one else knows if there was a better option. Must be the widescreens in wa. Anyway what I saw was hill backpedaling when he was being asked to come forward. Anyway both you guys win.
the better option was always and will always be go long down the line to a contest ... a 10 metre chip kick to a player with a player on his back is neve the best option ... ever ... especially in your back line .... if Hill was by himself yep sure thats the option but neither of those times was it the right option ....
maybe it is a WA thing where we can see that doing something stupid is never the "best option" might explain why there is an influx of stupid in victoria who still cant grasp social distancing ..

Jan 10, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Ormond AFC
dont waste your time chasing that rabbit down a hole ....
three certaintys in life....
Death, Taxes and Plugger wont see an issue with the umpiring
One definite certainty. People looking for umpires to blame. Another. Some People fascinated with what I post. Third. When you disagree with a poster he thinks it’s personal and finds another post to have a go at that poster.

Back