Preview Round 11, 2020: St.Kilda v Geelong - Gabba, Monday 10th August, 6:10PM AEST *BYTEL DEBUT*

Who Wins?

• Saints

Votes: 32 55.2%
  • Cats

Votes: 26 44.8%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

I’m hoping we get a look at Billings inside for a whole game, he has improved his strength so much I think he will thrive in that position. They don’t have another key forward Rohan plays tall at times, if our pressure is good around the ball we should control the air on the defensive side of the ball, which would in turn springboard our attack.
Our forward end looks good, they won’t have the same Luxury we do as we have multiple options in the air.
They’ll look to control the ball, they move the ball slowly so bringing the ball to ground in our Fwd50 is key and we’ve been very good at that this season. Geary will take Tuohy and cut him out As he has been very good for them.

Saints by 23 points!

Please 5 touches and 5 frees against for a half back is ATROCIOUS. If that was Savage people would demand he's out.

Savage put his body on the line a number of times against Sydney but at 29 and with a number of younger prospects in his position it makes sense that he is a depth player for us. Which means if a player deemed more talented and younger is available then he plays.

Also every time he bombed it to nobody against Sydney and we turned it over it just reminded me of some of the more frustrating aspects of the Richo era, this wasn’t a good vibe.

Get a similar dark feeling when I smell Sambuca or Jagermeister.

Sorry but l just don't get any of this conjecture over what Long was or wasn't doing.
The alternative players aren't part of our future, and none of them offer the point of difference that Long brings.

Peeps need to get over it. Good, bad or otherwise he's the best prospect right here right now, and obviously has the faith of the selectors.

Or should they bring Philips back instead?

Patton appears to be on Rankine:
View attachment 931748

Long doesn't appear to be on anyone:
View attachment 931749

DOwn the ground, no Long on sexton or Rankine:
View attachment 931750

No long again:
View attachment 931751

Next clearance Longs closest opponent is in fact Holman:
View attachment 931752
The second image looks like Long's meant to be on Ainsworth (#9). He's looking directly at him - he's guarding space then will pick Ainswerth up if the ball comes in the area.

2nd qtr.

Down the ground, GC first real drive forward. Again Long isn't really stopping anyone:
1596974840271.png

Next stoppage resulting in GC goal from throw in. Again Long isn't on anyone:
1596974987494.png

Next center clearance and GC drive forward again Long aint on anyone:
1596975057396.png

It looks like his role is to really charge at the clearance, so he doesn't have a match up.

D50 stoppage. he's on holman:
1596975414726.png

Next clearance, Holman i think is off. Long is on Ainsworth

Last edited:
Totally pumped for this game. One of the yardsticks of the competition and a win here would be massive for our confidence.
Like everyone else, concerned about the 4 day turnaround and our mids but just hoping they can step up. Huge game for Bytel's debut - not expecting anything but praying we uncover another diamond.
Carn the mighty Saints! Stick it to the Pussies. :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sorry but l just don't get any of this conjecture over what Long was or wasn't doing.
The alternative players aren't part of our future, and none of them offer the point of difference that Long brings.

Peeps need to get over it. Good, bad or otherwise he's the best prospect right here right now, and obviously has the faith of the selectors.

Or should they bring Philips back instead?

I don’t think he should be dropped, the thing with Long right now, I don’t trust him. Hopefully that comes in time. It did with Paton and it’s turning with Coffield. He does hurt people though!

If he was playing as loose man and was meant to be heavily involved in intercepting, what the fu** was he doing all game!?

i don't think it's so much itercepting as really attacking the opposition drive forward from the stoppage. then really driving attacks forward.

i think his game should be judged on that. he does spend some time off the ground though in the first half.

if you want to heap praise on someone for their job on sexton it should be Coffield that receives it. Not Long. Likewise Paton is on Rankine.

Long briefly responsible for Ainsworth.

I don’t think he should be dropped, the thing with Long right now, I don’t trust him. Hopefully that comes in time. It did with Paton and it’s turning with Coffield. He does hurt people though!

if we are talking Goal impact, Paton actually was the worst performed given Rankine was the best performed small forward for the opposition and he had a hard tag on him.

Coffield did well on Sexton, kept him goal-less.

3rd Qtr is up and Longs on Sexton now. for literally one contest. now he's on Rankine:
1596976210095.png

4th qtr and Long is on Sexton at the start:
1596976404203.png

it looks like part way through the 3rd they gave up on using him as the spare and instead started to use him to lock down on Rankine now Sexton. I suspect this was to free up Clark.

one of two contests must have stuck in people's mind and thought that equated to the whole game.

Longs back on Holman:
1596976545095.png

1596976611129.png

Now he's on Weller at the Stoppage deep in the 4th before Clarks infamous Matrix moment:
1596976726785.png

Last edited:
i don't think it's so much itercepting as really attacking the opposition drive forward from the stoppage. then really driving attacks forward.

i think his game should be judged on that. he does spend some time off the ground though in the first half.

if you want to heap praise on someone for their job on sexton it should be Coffield that receives it. Not Long. Likewise Paton is on Rankine.

Long briefly responsible for Ainsworth.
Well, he wasnt intercepting. He didn’t drive any attacks forward or offer any good rebound. He didn’t shut anyone down (I’m sure he did at times). Doesn’t sound like he was doing anything useful.

Patton appears to be on Rankine:
View attachment 931748

Long doesn't appear to be on anyone:
View attachment 931749

DOwn the ground, no Long on sexton or Rankine:
View attachment 931750

No long again:
View attachment 931751

Next clearance Longs closest opponent is in fact Holman:
View attachment 931752
Not sure how that's conclusive. Defensive set ups are positional. You're only man on man when the ball is bounced in the middle and at stoppages in our defensive 50. When we are on the attack , defenders spread to make the ground bigger and the opposite happens when we are defending.

I hope Bytel actually gets some midfield time. Byrnes got a raw deal, mainly played as a small forward and minimal mid time, he was never going to succeed. Bytel deserves some centre bounces attendances and some proper mid time otherwise they’re setting him up for failure. With Jones out, someone needs to play as a clearance mid.

Not sure how that's conclusive. Defensive set ups are positional. You're only man on man when the ball is bounced in the middle and at stoppages in our defensive 50. When we are on the attack , defenders spread to make the ground bigger and the opposite happens when we are defending.

you would think if that was the case there would be more around the ground footage of Long on Sexton/Rankine in the 1st half. there was barely any in it, at all.

that changed about half way through the 3rd. where he appears to spend more time on Sexton and Rankine. but it's hardly the large part of the game.

i mean whats more believable here. That Long was used in a hard shut down role or was he given licence to to roam some what? and we instead used Paton and Coffield for those roles.

i know which one i'm going with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back