Review Round 11, 2020 vs Richmond

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm not completely convinced this is the way to beat us. We've been very strong against sides that move the ball slowly because we've been able to convert that into significant numbers of repeat inside 50 entries. I think Richmond showed that the way to counter our forward half defence is to take contested marks at half back, play on quickly and then kick into space to players running at speed towards the goals. The quick play handpass to running players resulted in our backs getting a bit too close to the footy and allowing too much space out the back. I thought the player who stepped up in the 4th to stymie this tactic was Karl Amon who I thought won a number of important possessions on the western wing.

I may be over skeptical of the Saints, but I think the largest contributors to that result was Ladhams getting double teamed by Marshall and Ryder, and losing Mackenzie in the warm up, which screwed up our defensive structure.
He's right though, its not about playing "slow," its about defensive pressure & contested footy, which restricts our ability to play our game. Both teams that have done that this year have beaten us. This has been a major problem with Ken's game plan for a few years now, but this year has seen us handle it better.

He's right though, its not about playing "slow," its about defensive pressure & contested footy, which restricts our ability to play our game. Both teams that have done that this year have beaten us. This has been a major problem with Ken's game plan for a few years now, but this year has seen us handle it better.
Turnovers/clearances and speed of ball movement to not let us set up is the key.

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Double barrel shotgun is the only way to stop us when we impose our game on the opposition and that is what we do when we get to the ball first, that is, impose our game on the opposition. Defensive teams don't win Premierships, teams that can defend and attack do and that is what we do.

We lost to Brisbane because our attack on the ball and the player with the ball was not up to standard when the opposition went into the game with a finals type mentality but to our credit, we learnt from that and have lifted in that area.

We lost to St.Kilda because Ryder and Marshall destroyed us in the ruck and gave them first use of the ball time and time again.

Against the reigning Premiers, Richmond, we destroyed them by playing our game, by imposing our game and regardless of the tactics employed against us, we are now strong and skilful enough to overcome any tactics - what we need to to is to keep applying ourselves and we have shown great resilience this year whereas in the past, when things became "messy" or hard, our team just didn't have the single mindedness to keep at it. This year is different but.

I watched the replay last night and am going to watch it again later today. This is up there with one of the best home & away games Port has played.
Loved Zac's effort, and that smile he gives going back to kick his goal gets me every time. You can tell he just loves playing footy. :heart:
1597145899405.png
Captured that smile....

I'm not completely convinced this is the way to beat us. We've been very strong against sides that move the ball slowly because we've been able to convert that into significant numbers of repeat inside 50 entries. I think Richmond showed that the way to counter our forward half defence is to take contested marks at half back, play on quickly and then kick into space to players running at speed towards the goals. The quick play handpass to running players resulted in our backs getting a bit too close to the footy and allowing too much space out the back. I thought the player who stepped up in the 4th to stymie this tactic was Karl Amon who I thought won a number of important possessions on the western wing.

I may be over skeptical of the Saints, but I think the largest contributors to that result was Ladhams getting double teamed by Marshall and Ryder, and losing Mackenzie in the warm up, which screwed up our defensive structure.

If we bring high pressure like CS Richmond that also should bring the slow possession game unstuck.

The biggest contributor to the St Kilda win was their incredible accuracy on goal, a once in a 100 year event.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

The best way to beat us at the moment is either by winning the ball in the centre and using the ball well, forcing us to defend one on one, or by spreading us wide on kick ins and moving through our zone faster than we can move behind the ball.

We can live with chaos balls, umpire interference and mistakes. We can’t live with teams getting use from the centre and exposing our defenders one on one.

The best bit about this game plan though, is that when we get it right we force our opponent to be perfect to beat us. If they don’t do everything right we swarm them and get the game on our terms.

We’ve done a pretty good job of this so far, and there are only really two quarters when we didn’t apply ourselves properly. The third against Brisbane and the last against St Kilda.

We’re good at football this year.

We’ll beat the cats.

No. This season is 100% a * season. Anyone who thinks otherwise is just playing a game of mental gymnastics. It is a season without precedence in which absolutely nothing is consistent or usual, and will likely never happen again.

Doesn't make the winner any less entitled to celebrate, but it's not going to stand the same (for better or worse) in the history books vs. other seasons.

Wouldn't be hard to put a star against many of the years on this list.

I'd start with 1914

If we bring high pressure like CS Richmond that also should bring the slow possession game unstuck.

The biggest contributor to the St Kilda win was their incredible accuracy on goal, a once in a 100 year event.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Lol do bizarre is our effect on some teams, when we play Norf, watch Ben Brown kick ten on us even if he isn’t playing..

The best way to beat us at the moment is either by winning the ball in the centre and using the ball well, forcing us to defend one on one, or by spreading us wide on kick ins and moving through our zone faster than we can move behind the ball.

We can live with chaos balls, umpire interference and mistakes. We can’t live with teams getting use from the centre and exposing our defenders one on one.

The best bit about this game plan though, is that when we get it right we force our opponent to be perfect to beat us. If they don’t do everything right we swarm them and get the game on our terms.

We’ve done a pretty good job of this so far, and there are only really two quarters when we didn’t apply ourselves properly. The third against Brisbane and the last against St Kilda.

We’re good at football this year.

We’ll beat the cats.
The keys to beating us are
- Don't allow us to mark the ball from rebound 50s, otherwise we will lock you in
- Win the ground ball at your half back, as you are a big chance to get one over the back
- Win centre clearances and get the ball in to our defensive half before we have a chance to set up
- Move the ball quickly, don't let us make you kick long down the line. If you miss a short kick playing possession footy you're gone.
- Apply maximum pressure to our crumbing forwards. Gray, Rozee, Amon all good at kicking goals with little space.

The keys to beating us are
- Don't allow us to mark the ball from rebound 50s, otherwise we will lock you in
- Win the ground ball at your half back, as you are a big chance to get one over the back
- Win centre clearances and get the ball in to our defensive half before we have a chance to set up
- Move the ball quickly, don't let us make you kick long down the line. If you miss a short kick playing possession footy you're gone.
- Apply maximum pressure to our crumbing forwards. Gray, Rozee, Amon all good at kicking goals with little space.
Total football

Wouldn't be hard to put a star against many of the years on this list.

I'd start with 1914
The war only started after the season had finished in 1914, but you are right in principle. The next 4 years were shallow wins at best. Also what about Melbourne's three wins during WW2? Scrub them off the record books while we are at it!

This premiership will indeed have an * next to it ....

* Won under pandemic restrictions, and recognized as the toughest premiership in AFL/VFL history,

No. This season is 100% a * season. Anyone who thinks otherwise is just playing a game of mental gymnastics. It is a season without precedence in which absolutely nothing is consistent or usual, and will likely never happen again.

Doesn't make the winner any less entitled to celebrate, but it's not going to stand the same (for better or worse) in the history books vs. other seasons.

You reckon COVID will be gone next year? Could be more of the same in 2021.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m curious why this season gets singled out as an asterisk premiership when you have such a uneven fixture other years?
BTW anyone hear the Hardwick interview prior to the game on Sat. Said this will be a bloody hard premiership to win for anyone.

Last edited:
The war only started after the season had finished in 1914, but you are right in principle. The next 4 years were shallow wins at best. Also what about Melbourne's three wins during WW2? Scrub them off the record books while we are at it!

This premiership will indeed have an * next to it ....

* Won under pandemic restrictions, and recognized as the toughest premiership in AFL/VFL history,

Wasn't thinking the war, more so

But like your thinking

anyway back to the game, many positives and room for improvement.

Shame we made such hard work of it but thought crowd were bog even the pro Vic commentary were caught up in it.

Will their spoon be gold? Like how in the EPL you get a gold trophy for being undefeated?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Being a wooden spoon, it should be crafted from the finest timber available. None of this Bunnings s**t. Like an antique piece of furniture, it should stand the test of time, a permanent reminder of an epic achievement, a winless season, something that even Woodville in their darkest days never managed to achieve.

I forgot to post the Champion Data tables the other day.

Port won just about every team stats category. Very green in the differentials for us and red for Richmond.

Lycett got 16 h.o with 5 to advantage and Ladhams 11 + Dixon 4 for 15 and 8.
Soldo got 29 and 10 and Chol 7 and 2.

55 inside 50's, seasonally adjusted for 16 minutes = 69 I50's against the premiers is a bloody good indication of our dominance. 55 was bloody great. Well they only got 24. They scored too easily. Houston runs into Mckenzie, Martin shoves clurey in the back and Riewoldt gets the free, Chol pushing the ball forward with no one stopping him HB into Riewoldt in the GS etc.

Footy in forward half, we dominated 62% v 38%.

Goal kicking is the area we fell down in. I50 per goal 24% vs 46%. Shots 30 from 55 I50, vs 15 from 24.

Port Xscore 105 v 93 actual, Richmond Xscore 63 v 72 actual.

We kicked 3.7 from the 12 marks inside 50m, 1 mark was a pass to another player and 1 didn't make the distance.

We kicked 1.2 from frees inside 50 and Lycett kicked his checkie shot out on the fool. The goal was Rocky's 2 x 50m penalty shot from the goal square.

Richmond took 5 marks I50 for 4.1 and the 2 frees they got I50 they kicked 1.0.

1597309625844.png

1597309683557.png

Remove this Banner Ad

Back