Autopsy Round 11, 2021: St.Kilda v North Melbourne *ROSS 150TH* *CLAVARINO DEBUT*

Remove this Banner Ad

So let me get this right...

We're paying 900k for a player who can't get 10 touches when tagged AND they're undroppable?

He averages 16. 27 disposals against the Hawks pushed that up as well.

I reckon at North they’d be praising the job done - rightly so in my opinion. Be interesting to see how Hill responds this week

I don't imagine that the Roos thought we'd lose our drive if they shut Hill down so I think they gave him an opponent to learn how much run the good players have.

Byrnes is working heavily with David Rath on his footskills at training last few weeks.
Good listener is Byrnes ...

Glad he decided to go for the kick on goal.
Could almost see him hesitate, and think stuff it, gather himself and say I’m doing it.

Wasn’t Ratts’ greatest press conference.
I get it’s difficult when a lot of the questions are about Hill, but that was a little bit of a sooky response. Players are often tagged, they need to deal with it. Not that Dal ever could.

Repeating myself things are not as bad as seem .
Just had a lot of things go wrong on preseason front , have been actually saying that for awhile.
Ryder being in fantastic shape , yet we were not playing him , Marshall hardly got on the park we were.
Really like what I have seen from Clark , think we will really see a player going forward given good
run with injury has gone the next level for mine.
Steele to me is a guy for mine when midfield depth is back is a midfield/ forward player we crave.
Good Mark , Great Tackler , reasonable kick for goal , think he just needs free air for Capt role.

The one area would love to see change from coaching direction is how we defend , be it the forward,
midfield , or backline it’s been poor for a number of years , it’s system based , we don’t have one.

Goal kicking is another thing we have been poor at for most years - even on occasion last year.
I am so envious when I watch the way other teams kick for goal. Great routine, run straight, follow through and they just go through beautifully. Membrey used to be one of the best. There’s almost no one in the team I’m confident in when goal kicking.

Goal kicking is another thing we have been poor at for most years - even on occasion last year.
I am so envious when I watch the way other teams kick for goal. Great routine, run straight, follow through and they just go through beautifully. Membrey used to be one of the best. There’s almost no one in the team I’m confident in when goal kicking.
It's kind of infuriating seeing Josh Bruce go at something like 26.5 for set shots this year.

The guy who would miss from the goal square on multiple occasions when playing for us.

What do we do to our players, and can we get some of whatever they're pumping into Bruce?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Clark? Still goes missing way too frequently, doesn't he?

He's stepped up this year but to take that next step needs to become a mid and push his disposals up around the high 20s. He's been around a while now, 2017 draft has Tim Kelly and Liam Ryan as the stand outs but they were older but then it's mostly tall that ended up being the best players so far Naughton, Oscar Allen and Balta probably the 3 standout players so far. Stephenson I still think will become a star quality player as well. Tom Mc Cartin and Ballard quality too. That was the draft Cerra and Brayshaw went in as well. Cerra should still have a fair bit of improvement in him too.

On butler I reckon that was the best thing he did in the game. Way outside his range and Howard hit the post. Not sure what else he should have done. Like the rest of it though.
I didn’t say it was bad. I just didn’t get it. Is it really beyond his range? I was sure he’d kicked them from there before. Might be thinking if higgo. He can roost them. In that case yes it was a smart move. Doogs is also a booming kick.

I used to say similar to my ex wife. The scrappiest, dirtiest, ugliest wife always beats the most glorious woman that will never touch you.

Harsh ... very harsh ... but funny nonetheless ...

I honestly wouldn't care if we went on a winning streak consisting of 1pt victories at this stage - ugly winning football will work for me ... anything to avoid listening to some of those god-awful opposition songs in the post-match.

One thing I am certain of is our record would be no better even if Clark hasn’t missed. That is certain
I think this post flew over a lot if people’s heads. Shame as it’s one of plugger’s better ones. :tearsofjoy:

Not been on the last few days as I have ended up in hospital. Had an op on Thursday so have been pretty dopey since to be honest. Going to be in hospital for another week.

But I watched us on Saturday morning our time in between doctors and nurses asking 5 million questions. Game was a poor one with the skills mostly pretty horrid. Couldn’t get angry about it because frankly I was glad to be watching it. Had just wanted to get past Thursday!

We just seemed to do enough and had it well in hand. What happened in the last quarter almost had me mad, but not quite. Just disappoints me when we go missing like that. Really had the chance to go on with it. We just never seem to bury teams when we should.

We have the core of an ok team. And we of course have a few of our special players out. But I have always said I’m an advocate of building our team and spirit. Watching other sides do this at the moment is a bit galling. Our foreign legion hasn’t quite gelled. I would love our younger core of players along with top draftees in the future to take us to a new path.

And of course a few trades, particularly of a free nature never go astray. But I crave as a supporter our own home grown talent. Very tough assignment against the Swannies. I admire what they have done with their recruitment and development. Just hope we can find a bit more confidence and form.

Am liking young Byrnes at the moment. Got to give praise for where we drafted him and how we seem to be developing him. Just like some more please!

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back