burner1

Premiership Player
Nov 3, 2005
victoria
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
hawks
Considering how well we hit the draft last year with a full hand, it’s almost criminal the top up strategy we tried from 2017 onwards.
We’ve seen some good early signs - but the jump from some flashes to a consistent afl player is a big one (particularly in a side focused on development). Most years we’ve been positive on our draft crop. Look at the mixed views on the previous two years crop as expectations shift.

westhawk

Club Legend
Dec 24, 2006
perth
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Doesn't help when we get smashed in transition too! As a team, we made it a lot tougher for Dimma to win that match up.
Spot on. We get smashed in transition because our defenders all push too far up the ground. It is frustrating to watch. Should always have someone back stopping that quick transition play. We get burnt all the time on it.

I wonder how many of the free kicks paid in recent weeks are because there have been fewer occurrences of dissent, and so inciting them is the only way to get them so brad scott can labor his point.

On another note, Day chased down holding it 4 times in 4 games. I wish his team mates would starting shouting "man on!"

burner1

Premiership Player
Nov 3, 2005
victoria
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
hawks
Spot on. We get smashed in transition because our defenders all push too far up the ground. It is frustrating to watch. Should always have someone back stopping that quick transition play. We get burnt all the time on it.
Too many of our defenders want to zone off for the easy intercept or handball out the back rather than getting stuck into the contest. Which we manage on a dry day when we’re intercept marking and pressuring the midfield but when ball is going to ground we look average.

Some positives to extract from a disaster of a performance.
  • Butler showed some real good signs. His tackling is first rate.
  • Morrison did some nice things
  • Box Hill won
The rest was disappointing. No ruck saw us get smashed, Kosi is okay part time against a second ruck but against an actual ruckman he's just monstered. Not his fault, we have no other option at present but it certainly hurt us in the middle.

Defensively our running was poor, players might have been struggling with the heat but it was an obvious difference seeing GC stream ahead of the play and us lagging behind and leaving all sorts of gaps and structural holes. Hard to know what to take from the game, reset and move on I think.

The aggressive nature of the way we play lends itself to being caught out defensively. The problem arises when we r not as efficient going forward and we r not switched on defensively as we allow so many inside 50s

The aggressive nature of the way we play lends itself to being caught out defensively. The problem arises when we r not as efficient going forward and we r not switched on defensively as we allow so many inside 50s

I agree, it’s a coaching issue, not players being caught out.

Tossing up whether to watch this game or not.
This thread is certainly telling me not to.
Just watched Kayo Mini...18 minutes worth was more than enough.

Sixpence , yep, another mod here who was away for the weekend, and thankfully didn't watch...sorry (not sorry)

Billyc

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 17, 2009
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Sometimes we play sides in Tassie who just don't want to be there (the famous snow game against GWS for example). Last night that was us. I wouldn't be surprised if roles reverse when GC have to travel to Tassie later this year.

A dreadful performance from start to finish. Move on to next week.

Jul 3, 2016
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Sometimes we play sides in Tassie who just don't want to be there (the famous snow game against GWS for example). Last night that was us. I wouldn't be surprised if roles reverse when GC have to travel to Tassie later this year.

A dreadful performance from start to finish. Move on to next week.
The famous snow game was in Canberra, I know, cause I was there, getting snowed on

Sent from my CPH1979 using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Billyc

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 17, 2009
AFL Club
Hawthorn
The famous snow game was in Canberra, I know, cause I was there, getting snowed on

Sent from my CPH1979 using Tapatalk
So it was. Same thing though. Sometimes sides just have no interest in playing at certain venues and it certain conditions. That was us last night.

Jun 28, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Tossing up whether to watch this game or not.
This thread is certainly telling me not to.
Shaq No GIF
stop it GIF by Epicly Later'd

Gold Coast aren’t half as bad a side as was being made out by some in the pregame thread. They’re fairly stacked with young talent, and prob a couple of years ahead in terms of a rebuild (though it’s hard to compare cos it’s never directly linear). Who knows where it’ll go for them, but they should be pushing finals.

Doesn’t excuse our work rate which was deplorable, but like most rebuilding sides we are grossly inconsistent. Expect more of this in the season and prob next few years ahead, but hopefully less and less.

Butler showed couple of xfactor moments which was the only highlight.

Our inability to hold it in the forward line was the biggest issue I though (and there were a lot of issues).
4 tackles inside 50 for the game.

So it turns out if we only played every second week, we'd be either favourites for the flag or the spoon. There's your sliding doors Damo.

MasterSamurai

Premiership Player
Mar 21, 2017
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
BayernMunchen
In today's football, if your frwds aren't holding the ball locked inside 50, and your mids aren't running with their opponents, closing up space, then the backline will be all over the place, especially if your playing the ' high press' game. There's way too much space for the opposition to comfortably move the ball from deep D50 to Frwd 50 , that's the reason why we're getting sliced through the middle . On top of that, our midfield isn't great at stoppages, so the backline is the last group I would lay blame on for the high scores against. Not solely , anyway.

Lickmesocks

Premiership Player
Oct 2, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
In today's football, if your frwds aren't holding the ball locked inside 50, and your mids aren't running with their opponents, closing up space, then the backline will be all over the place, especially if your playing the ' high press' game. There's way too much space for the opposition to comfortably move the ball from deep D50 to Frwd 50 , that's the reason why we're getting sliced through the middle . On top of that, our midfield isn't great at stoppages, so the backline is the last group I would lay blame on for the high scores against. Not solely , anyway.

There was two Gold Coast players that continued to walk it out of our forward 50 with speed and made us look like witches hats in the first half.

One was Markov. Can’t recall the other one but they cut our forwards to shreds.

To watch Brandon Ellis run around and show us that if you want the ball badly enough you can get it was tough viewing.

Mabior seriously had a picnic in the first half. So many times he was all on his own. Who was supposed to be playing on him?

Dewyyyyy

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 28, 2020
AFL Club
Hawthorn
The game was a shocker to watch - but I get really sick of all the comments like "putrid" "insipid" "no work ethic" "not good enough". Such a drainer. It's just miserable crap.

Anyway a few points
  • Gold Coast's pressure was awesome. We never had more than a split second to use the footy and we can be a fumbly team at the best of times.
  • In the first half especially they completely took Sicily out of the danger zone and had a forward line so open we they could just waltz in and take easy uncontested marks on the lead.
  • When Dan Howe is playing in the ruck it shows the cupboard is completely bare for talls. And that doesn't just affect the ruck.
  • Mitchell didn't have O'Meara or Worpel (yes Worpel) helping him out and he reverted to a really ineffective high stat game. He's an absolutely gun in a good team - but without support he becomes a good player with a big question mark.
  • Mitch Lewis - clearly not a night for him but really liked his work from about halfway through the third to the end of the game.
  • Butler and McDonald are great pick ups. They make the most of their chances and hopefully they'll get more as fitness and game time increases.
  • It's quite predictable now that if we have a great game the next week we'll have a terrible one.
  • All year our forward line has been able to score heavily in ratio to the number of inside 50s. Not last night - just did not look threatening.
Titch was pretty good, he was often presenting 3-4-5 times as a bail out option, he was linking and chaining up well and was hitting kicks. Alot of clangers with frees i think half of them were. But overall he's not the issue, there were so many passengers you can't even imagine.

Just quietly, someone needs to let our social media team that when we are getting flogged by 10 goals, it's not the best time to send out notifications breathlessly imploring us to immediately get online to vote for Hawthorn's MVP...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back