Autopsy Round 11, 2022: St.Kilda v North Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

That's fine, whatever, the point is that he is a long way from being dropped- which is what I was originally replying to

Yeah he shouldn't be dropped.
He had only 14 disposals, but a massive 8 of those were contested, and he set up some scores.

I guess the only issue is we are starting to accumulate a lot of these pressure players, and in the end you don't win the game on the back of how many tackles you win.

One of the first picked?

Lets see.

Midfield. Gresham, Jones, Crouch.
Forward. King, Membrey.
Back . Battle, Wilkie, Howard, Sinclair.
Rucks etc etc
so after all the other first picked, yeah Long would be the first picked.

fanboi's drive me crazy sometimes.
The only thing going for Long is he can play back and forward , but when Butler and Higgins come back he might find it hard to keep his place unless Paton or Webster get a injury.
Long did have a good game today so he would be safe I think for the next game.

Seb Ross is having a great season, possibly his best. Good to see a player get the most of themselves. He'd have to be top 3 for the B&F this year with the way he's gone about it.
Sinclair, Crouch, Seb, Wilkie, then a mix between Hill, Steele Gresh...and Ryder. King and Higgo probably amongst it too.

its kind of interesting all these players lifting this year.
Is it because of something the coaches are doing, or are they feeling the pressure to keep their jobs due to new talent?
Hard to say , fitness could be a big factor and the reality that there career was not looking great with Long , Ross and Battle all being touted as being used as trade bait.
Now having players in reserve is now forcing the players to show there best or they are at Sandringham.

its kind of interesting all these players lifting this year.
Is it because of something the coaches are doing, or are they feeling the pressure to keep their jobs due to new talent?
I think fans probably overstate how many players are happy to ‘collect a pay cheque’. Yes, there are some players like that, but the reality is AFL is seriously cut throat. I’d be willing to bet a player underperforming is much more often due to them placing excess pressure on themselves (I.e. caring too much), rather than not caring enough.

Would say the coaching group have found the right balance in working them hard during training, but creating an environment where they don’t fret their mistakes and go in to their shells on game day.

Last edited:
Seb Ross is having a great season, possibly his best. Good to see a player get the most of themselves. He'd have to be top 3 for the B&F this year with the way he's gone about it.
Sinclair, Crouch, Seb, Wilkie, then a mix between Hill, Steele Gresh...and Ryder. King and Higgo probably amongst it too.
Ross has improved his disposal out of sight , which was his biggest floor.

The only thing going for Long is he can play back and forward , but when Butler and Higgins come back he might find it hard to keep his place unless Paton or Webster get a injury.
Long did have a good game today so he would be safe I think for the next game.

Paton, and he's against Geary, but i think i'd go with Long.
Webster and i'd be tempted to go with Leo, or bring in Highmore, and give Wilkie the Webster role.

I think fans probably overstate how many players are happy to ‘collect a pay cheque’ yea there are some players like that, but the reality is AFL is seriously cut throat. I’d be willing to bet a player underperforming is much more often to them placing excess pressure on themselves (I.e. caring too much), rather than not caring enough.

Would say the coaching group have found the right balance in working them hard during training, but creating an environment where they don’t fret their mistakes and go in to their shells on game day.

I really hope that they don't fret when dropped to the reserves because, especially for the younger players , i think its a really good way to get back in touch with the ball, and to realise they can be the ones to win a game.

I’d probably bring in:
Butler, Higgins, and Clark for
Sharman, Windhager and Paton.

Move Long back to Paton’s spot who probably needs to gain some confidence with his disposal. Windhager stiff but is probably due for a rest and a stint at Sandy to dominate.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Paton, and he's against Geary, but i think i'd go with Long.
Webster and i'd be tempted to go with Leo, or bring in Highmore, and give Wilkie the Webster role.
Wilkie in AA form and you want to change his role ?

Exactly, i think he's capable of working up the wing and rebounding a lot more. Highmore perfectly capable of the lockdown role.
Wilkie much better suited to the role he is playing and Highmore is a defender that will leave his man to intercept mark not a lockdown defender, that is last thing you would want Highmore doing

Wilkie much better suited to the role he is playing and Highmore is a defender that will leave his man to intercept mark not a lockdown defender, that is last thing you would want Highmore doing
Highmore is good at the intercept mark, not as good in the rebound as Wilkie IMO.. Even today we saw Wilkie work his way up the wing. He has a lot more strings to his bow.

Either way , i think if we brought Highmore in, between him and Wilkie, could cover the loss of Paton.

Disagree - if the young guns get us into the finals - we need to be realistic and drop them and bring in the experience of Kent and
Geary, etc to get us over the line.

Naz says you can show yourself to the door, it's that way!

1653825664781.png

If we're dropping a defender its Webster. Not sure where the talk ok Pato comes from but it's BS. We know how good he is and you keep playing him till he gets his mojo back.
Pato was ok to good today
He is not far off

Remove this Banner Ad

Back