Autopsy Round 11, 2022: St.Kilda v North Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

Which shows?

Gabelich reported earlier this year that he knocked back significant offers from rival clubs for the prior 2 years. He doesn't name the clubs obviously.
OK
why clubs get mentioned all the time when interested in a player

Was also stated that Seb was offered 2 years but was looking for better offers else where
Obviously better offers didn't come
He was a unrestricted FA so wasn’t going to cost anything

Last edited:
OK
why clubs get mentioned all the time when interested in a player

Was also stated that Seb was offered 2 years but was looking for better offers else where
Obviously better offers didn't come
He was a unrestricted FA so was going to cost anything

source: dude just trust me

I was just curious to know where you heard it to so confidently double down on it, I can't seem to find any record of it.

source: dude just trust me

I was just curious to know where you heard it to so confidently double down on it, I can't seem to find any record of it.
Can you find one article through any of last years trade period linking Ross or Billing’s actually to any club ?
I’m not double down on it
I believe what I’ve been told and like I said earlier in thread I’m glad he is still here

Can you find one article through any of last years trade period linking Ross or Billing’s actually to any club ?
I’m not double down on it
I believe what I’ve been told and like I said earlier in thread I’m glad he is still here

That's fine, I wasn't trying to grill you but the way you interjected I assumed there was something out there to substantiate it.
I think we're all very happy he stayed put.

This is the first time in Billings' career where he will need to force his way back into the side. Who knows, it might be the making of him. I was encouraged by the specificity of Batch's review of his game (something about him needing to improve his reaction time after a turnover), which tells me that he is getting the clear guidance he needs from the coaching staff. The ball is in his court.
It worked for Dmac and Sinclair so maybe it could work for billings.

No one on our list should be guaranteed a spot in the 22. It's earned on game day and the training track.

On CPH2145 using BigFooty.com mobile app

This is the first time in Billings' career where he will need to force his way back into the side. Who knows, it might be the making of him. I was encouraged by the specificity of Batch's review of his game (something about him needing to improve his reaction time after a turnover), which tells me that he is getting the clear guidance he needs from the coaching staff. The ball is in his court.

One of our most talented players, but talent means nothing unless you can reproduce it on game day.

Would love him to become the ultimate team player, I think this is where his future lies. His AFL mark of the round a couple of weeks ago showed he had guts and courage, would like to see more of it.

One of our most talented players, but talent means nothing unless you can reproduce it on game day.

Would love him to become the ultimate team player, I think this is where his future lies. His AFL mark of the round a couple of weeks ago showed he had guts and courage, would like to see more of it.

I still think in a final at the MCG he is a required player. I'm encouraged by the selection call and I'm encouraged by Batchelor's remarks (and by Sandy's form). I think Billings will play an important role in the side when he returns.

The specificity in expectations seems to be a central focus for the club this year. Between the various snippets we've got from the players/coaches about an emphasis on clarity of role, I suspect that the players raised an issue last year about lacking clarity on exactly what was expected of them. It sounds like there has been a real focus this year on providing players that clarity. This is evident both in the language coming from the club, but also on field. Just from the eye test, players look much more organised an in sync with the game plan this year. Last year, it felt like there was a variance from week to week on the way we wanted to play. Doesn't seem to be the case this year.

No one on our list should be guaranteed a spot in the 22. It's earned on game day and the training track.

I think both of those were dropped because their career was in trouble. Certainly McKenzie. Had nothing to do with getting his areas moving. I think it just happened. If billings has as long out as McKenzie he will want to leave or we will trade him. Can’t have guys like him in the seconds for a period. If a couple of young kid do well against Brisbane I will be shocked and friggin excited but I’m not sure that’s happening. Experience will be wanted very soon.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Billings was very poor against the Crows and didn't work anywhere near hard enough, think he has a couple more at Sandy

Yes. Steele is a clear top 5 player for us. Clark a clear top 10. Billings has the talent to be a top 5, occasionally plays like a top 10 when he sees fit, but is unfortunately a 23rd to 40th depth/trade player.
No one to blame but himself for that.
You're obviously set against Billings and it's not very often that l would defend him. Not very often indeed.

Which shows?

Gabelich reported earlier this year that he knocked back significant offers from rival clubs for the prior 2 years. He doesn't name the clubs obviously.

Dan Cherny also stated he knocked back offers from other clubs in an article he did on Ross after about rd4.

Not trying to rekindle this argument, and like mowman I am glad he stayed, in career best form, even better than his B&F years, but a couple of things

1) 'significant offers' is a journo trick for anything from just above base to 1 million $$. It is a journo speak for I have no idea what he was offered.

2) Could have been offered a million a year, doesn't matter was contracted. After 2020, probably thought, like the rest of us, that 2021 was going to be another finals year and he could get a big payday at the Saints or elsewhere.

His poor form last year was our good luck. He comes out of contract this year as a free agent in the form he is in and we would be lucky to keep him or would be paying him significantly (there is that word again) more for his services. A bit of a shame for Sebby, but the character of the man has shown this year, disappointed, nobody wants him, takes what he probably thinks is less than his worth, then comes out and is arguably our best midfielder this year.
Can't ask for better buy in than that from a player. Kudo's to the guy.

Is the argument that Seb explored the options elsewhere or that he had any interest elsewhere?

I thought he absolutely got told he could have a look whether there was interest or not I have no idea.
He always wanted to stay, but was after a longer contract.

Was offered more money to leave but wanted a longer contract then what saints were already offering, which I don't think happened, so he stayed.

You're obviously set against Billings and it's not very often that l would defend him. Not very often indeed.
No Way Thumbs Down GIF

History will prove me correct (unless he wins us a grand final...but nah, that's hardly possible...is it? 😳)

Sorry but I'd rather you be wrong on this one.
That's completely fair enough man. It's healthy. Happy to be wrong if he proves me wrong. I wanted Sinclair gone a couple of years ago, and now he's as close as I get to having a favourite player...was happy to trade Seb too at the end of last year for a 2nd rounder, but was okay with keeping him on. Now look at him...glad we held off.
Never too late...until it is.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back