Review Round 11, 2023 - Adelaide vs. Brisbane Lions

Who were your five best players against Adelaide?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Jun 27, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
what about overhead/ contested marks? you've got to take into account that Joe is the spearhead of the second best team in the comp. I just can't remember him taking good, solid, strong overhead marks. it's either a ridiculous attempt for mark of the year, a silly fake for a free kick or he just doesn't even make the contest.
Don't get me wrong, he's so talented and his best is insane but his average is really poor.

This dude is just a straight up hater gotta respect it.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

wantok

All Australian
Jan 3, 2012
brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
We lost this game at the selection table before the woeful conversion issue occurred. To play 3 slow and cumbersome backs in Rich,Lester and Gardiner at the same time on an accurately predicted wet and greasy deck against a youthful and mobile forward line (except Tex) was a big mistake. Adelaide were able to score on the fast transition with relative ease. Up forward Gunston was a similar liability. You can see his brain working but the old body just not responding at the necessary speed.
Payne will return for Lester to add speed. Dizzy stays and one of Rich or Lester for Sub. I believe Rich could be a real asset being introduced as a tactical sub to play one half max.
Prior or Robertson to replace Gunston in a forward defensive role on the oppo most attacking half back.

On SM-A525F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Jun 27, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Shout out to Ben Keays who killed us. Glad he’s going well and was out for blood.

Oct 13, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I think Keays got reward for Laird and Dawsons tackling shutting down our guys leaving the ball to come out to Keays

Coaches votes will be interesting

VOTES
PLAYER (CLUB)

Rory Laird (ADEL)
Izak Rankine (ADEL)
Jordan Dawson (ADEL)
Lachie Neale (BL)
Josh Dunkley (BL)
Zac Bailey (BL)
Charlie Cameron (BL)

Jun 27, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
From what I've seen on the Crows board he's a bit of a whipping boy. Adulated by the fans of the club that moved him on, whipping boy of the fans of the club that threw him a lifeline. Tough gig.

That’s genuinely rough going considering he’s actually out in great performances for them.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Intentional contact to the face. Good luck with that

Happens a thousand times in a game during tackle or contesting for a ball. Careless at best, Pedlar had a laugh as he stood up after the event. They're pinging him coz its Zorko.

FeastOrFamine

Team Captain
Feb 19, 2022
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Missed the first half due to work so I can't comment on that but from what I saw in the second half I'd say we played reasonably well. Once again we managed to generate a mountain of opportunities inside our F50 but failed to capitalise on them. It's become a worrying trend in our game over the past few weeks but the quality of our opposition meant they haven't been able to take advantage of it. Every time Adelaide got the ball forward it seemed like they were destined to score. They just kicked it over the top and let their runners torch us on the slingshot, or we'd stuff up with the ball and give it to them.

I'm not terribly disappointed with the result given it felt like Adelaide's night and our pre-bye games haven't been stellar, however some of the individual efforts need to be looked at. I genuinely forgot that Gunston was playing given how little I saw of him. I don't like singling out players but I can't give him the benefit of the doubt any longer. I'd be very interested to see the KPI's he has to meet in order to remain in the team because there's surely something we're missing.

I'm not gonna read too much into this one. We have room for improvement and Adelaide are a good team at home. We're still in the top 4 and we're 8-3, I'll take that.

what about overhead/ contested marks? you've got to take into account that Joe is the spearhead of the second best team in the comp. I just can't remember him taking good, solid, strong overhead marks. it's either a ridiculous attempt for mark of the year, a silly fake for a free kick or he just doesn't even make the contest.
Don't get me wrong, he's so talented and his best is insane but his average is really poor.

Sweet Jesus

lioninthesand

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 22, 2016
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Lacking mental fortitude. The opposition crowd, opposition pressure building, the big moments where you need a leader to stand up and steady the ship. We just don’t have that. Our blokes melt. Starts as a miskick, a poor handball, rich or Neale not running back hard enough to block an opposition outlet, next thing the whole team has become C grader doing all the wrong things. Skills drop off. We get it forward and become selfish footballers pinging at goals from all angles.

The big moments. Just can’t handle it. It’s too much.

You know I’ve been a ‘we suck on the big stage’ guy for years. It’s still an issue. However, we didn’t lack that mental fortitude vs pies and Dees albeit at home.

The mental aspects were there yesterday but it was more a planning issue for me.

We’ve had a month to assess how opposition play us, they go totally away from their own game style to basically implement a Ross Lyon like defensive system againts us, even the bombers did!

A month we’ve had to think about lowering our eyes, shallower entries, leading lanes, using Charlie as a decoy.. whatever it takes… a month later and it’s still just mindless bombing to the last line, forcing a stoppage.. not scoring effectively.

Just looks like the plan is.. ‘get it in there and it’ll eventually work’

Ok at home but not on the road or in a big game.

Interesting fages didn’t even say ‘forward entires are an issue’

Slipped to 6th is converting forward 50 entries, will be 10-12 before we know it at this rate.

May 3, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
You know I’ve been a ‘we suck on the big stage’ guy for years. It’s still an issue. However, we didn’t lack that mental fortitude vs pies and Dees albeit at home.

The mental aspects were there yesterday but it was more a planning issue for me.

We’ve had a month to assess how opposition play us, they go totally away from their own game style to basically implement a Ross Lyon like defensive system againts us, even the bombers did!

A month we’ve had to think about lowering our eyes, shallower entries, leading lanes, using Charlie as a decoy.. whatever it takes… a month later and it’s still just mindless bombing to the last line, forcing a stoppage.. not scoring effectively.

Just looks like the plan is.. ‘get it in there and it’ll eventually work’

Ok at home but not on the road or in a big game.

Interesting fages didn’t even say ‘forward entires are an issue’

Slipped to 6th is converting forward 50 entries, will be 10-12 before we know it at this rate.

Shallower entries = harder to defend rebounds

Brizzys Squizzy

All Australian
Sep 9, 2014
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I think it’s reasonable to say that we’ll lose games after the bye? Don’t really need a crystal ball to say that.
Definitely lose games, but more than first half of season ?? Pretty sure I replied to the comment won't win as many games as first half of season...

Back