Review Round 11, 2023 - Adelaide vs. Brisbane Lions

Who were your five best players against Adelaide?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Shallower entries = harder to defend rebounds

Yes, that is correct - that is a widely known footy 101.

That’s why we’ve opted for deeper entries for the last 6/7 years. Safety of the boundary line.

I listed 5-6 hypothetical adjustments we could look at, I think we opted for shallower entries after 1/4 time againts freo with good effect.

I think it’s a multi-layered approach but if we just keep doing the same thing, we will continue to lose games againts better sides or when it becomes a dour territory battle - finals on the road etc.

any answer champ?

Answer for what? I wasn’t the one you replied to. I just admire the fact that you are a genuine hater and I admire that.

I haven’t seen a post from you in almost two months and then suddenly come and bash Joe. Anytime someone points out that your criticisms are quite outdated you proceed to pivot to the next argument on your list like nothing happened.

Genuine A grade hater behaviour and I love it. Keep hustling and keep it up.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Hello Brisbane supporters. RE: Hipwood mark not paid. Berry kicked the ball to Hipwood from a free kick that he should not have received. Berry staged contact that wasn't there and the umpire fell for it. So while in isolation the the mark not being paid was the incorrect call, within context it was the fair outcome. The Berry staging was obvious at the ground and in the replay that showed at the ground that was not shown in the broadcast. In the broadcast you can actually hear the crowd boo seemingly for no reason, it was at the replay.

Thilthorpe and Fogarty also didn't mark it, but at least Fog kicked a behind.

Sweet Jesus
He wasn't great at overhead marks either, couldn't raise his arms above his shoulders in the end. Great in the wet though.

He wasn't great at overhead marks either, couldn't raise his arms above his shoulders in the end. Great in the wet though.

Heard he'll remain out in the northern rivers and get into carpentry after his footy career winds up.

He still can't kick a ball but he is manic with pressure.
Hello Brisbane supporters. RE: Hipwood mark not paid. Berry kicked the ball to Hipwood from a free kick that he should not have received. Berry staged contact that wasn't there and the umpire fell for it. So while in isolation the the mark not being paid was the incorrect call, within context it was the fair outcome. The Berry staging was obvious at the ground and in the replay that showed at the ground that was not shown in the broadcast. In the broadcast you can actually hear the crowd boo seemingly for no reason, it was at the replay.

You come all this way and posted all that and the result is as maybe the most pointless post in the whole thread.Besides that Daniher hater of course. What are you getting at? Seriously 🙄

Definitely lose games, but more than first half of season ?? Pretty sure I replied to the comment won't win as many games as first half of season...

Oh I can see how you read it that way now. All I meant was that we would lose additional games for the rest of the year.

You know I’ve been a ‘we suck on the big stage’ guy for years. It’s still an issue. However, we didn’t lack that mental fortitude vs pies and Dees albeit at home.

The mental aspects were there yesterday but it was more a planning issue for me.

We’ve had a month to assess how opposition play us, they go totally away from their own game style to basically implement a Ross Lyon like defensive system againts us, even the bombers did!

A month we’ve had to think about lowering our eyes, shallower entries, leading lanes, using Charlie as a decoy.. whatever it takes… a month later and it’s still just mindless bombing to the last line, forcing a stoppage.. not scoring effectively.

Just looks like the plan is.. ‘get it in there and it’ll eventually work’

Ok at home but not on the road or in a big game.

Interesting fages didn’t even say ‘forward entires are an issue’

Slipped to 6th is converting forward 50 entries, will be 10-12 before we know it at this rate.
I want to assume Fagan knows the entries vs return is not a one off but becoming an issue. From evidence in the previous few years we don’t seem capable of tinkering mid-season. It’s a shame cause it’s exactly what happened in the 2021 semi v dogs, albeit with key forwards out.

I want to assume Fagan knows the entries vs return is not a one off but becoming an issue. From evidence in the previous few years we don’t seem capable of tinkering mid-season. It’s a shame cause it’s exactly what happened in the 2021 semi v dogs, albeit with key forwards out.

And the GWS semi in 2019.

I'm sure the just and unbiased people at Adelaide Oval calling out staging also showed their distain at Tex Walker for his attempt right?

How does a 32 year old talk like this?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

thank you WetCrow1991. it is good to see that karmic justice is performed at adelaide oval. lest the balance of the football universe fall out of whack

All free kicks should now be decided by crowd boo meters. Its only fair!

And the GWS semi in 2019.
Agree although we looked like we had turned the corner on this when we largely scored on turnover through elite pressure before this latest game.

When we are slower moving the ball forward we inevitably just bomb it long to a crowded contest in the pocket looking for a stoppage, we created opportunities with this method, if we had kicked 5-5 instead of 1-9 in the 3rd quarter we would have went on a won comfortably IMO. Kicking a lot of behinds in a bunch sucks the energy out of the team, you just knew the Crows were going to go down the other end and kick a goal or 2 from scarce entries, young Will's sitter set shot did it for me... it wasn't our night.

Animated GIF

Agree although we looked like we had turned the corner on this when we largely scored on turnover through elite pressure before this latest game.

When we are slower moving the ball forward we inevitably just bomb it long to a crowded contest in the pocket looking for a stoppage, we created opportunities with this method, if we had kicked 5-5 instead of 1-9 in the 3rd quarter we would have went on a won comfortably IMO. Kicking a lot of behinds in a bunch sucks the energy out of the team, you just knew the Crows were going to go down the other end and kick a goal or 2 from scarce entries, young Will's sitter set shot did it for me... it wasn't our night.
And Hippy’s miss from dead in front.

Are you suggesting that the Crows were robbed by that decision? How do you know that was the case - did it happen right in front of you?

I think as well we just lacked the ability to do something different. So many bombs to 15m out - very easy to defend.

At one stage I think Kiddy had the ball 70m out on the broadcast wing. He kicked it 15m to the boundary line to Gardiner. Who slowly went back and kicked it to the ONLY place he could - 10m out, 10m in from the boundary. It was such a slow play and the crowd of players waiting so big we had no chance of a goal.

Would have liked to have seen us flip the ball around quickly from 70m, change angles, go for someone 45m out, just anything other than constant bombs forward.

I think as well we just lacked the ability to do something different. So many bombs to 15m out - very easy to defend.

At one stage I think Kiddy had the ball 70m out on the broadcast wing. He kicked it 15m to the boundary line to Gardiner. Who slowly went back and kicked it to the ONLY place he could - 10m out, 10m in from the boundary. It was such a slow play and the crowd of players waiting so big we had no chance of a goal.

Would have liked to have seen us flip the ball around quickly from 70m, change angles, go for someone 45m out, just anything other than constant bombs forward.
I think there was another I noticed , Kiddy looked around for a lead , there certainly wasn't any obvious ones presenting and then kicked it, was it long , I kind of remember it that way but could of been the moment your talking about.
Like I said earlier in this thread , the boys didn't work as hard as The crows in presenting, running , all of those things.
Seems like we can't or don't play that way all the time and elect to bomb it long.
I think the bomb is fine , in moderation and depending on the circumstance and what part of the field your in.
We just use it way too much in most of our games, and yes sometimes it comes off looking good , other times the other team just swallows them.
I think we turned a corner tha last two previous games in terms of this balance, so heres hoping it was a tactic due to the conditions.

Back