Autopsy Round 11, 2023 - Positives and Negatives vs Essendon

Remove this Banner Ad

West doesn’t have it but * he tries so hard and has a sneaky bit of elusiveness in tight. Hope he wins an Sandover once he’s done with us, surely he will rip the WAFL a new arsehole next year.
Yep he has some swervability and ran some crazy subtle angles tonight (including setting up a goal by coming back into the corridor) but he is still at best a very, very fine WAFL player.

Positives +

• Allen you star. Did really well and kicked four goals. Could've had six if he kicked straight. Still up there in the Coleman in a spoon contending side.
  • Hurn more creative with his ball use now and taking the game on. Going to be a huge void if he retires. Don't know anyone in the club who has elite kicking (maybe Witho but I doubt it).
  • Hunt continues to impress with his speed, attack and intent. Could likely win our B&F if he stays healthy.
  • Much better ball movement by the team at times thus allowing our forwards to have more looks.
  • Long did well and used it nicely with the limited touches he got.
  • Barrass did well to kill contests when down back.
  • Kelly another good game.
  • Nice seeing Yeo back out there. We looked more competitive in the middle with him and Ginbey there.
  • Speaking of Ginbey another consistent game from him performing well down back and in the middle. Stuck those tackles as usual and went hard at the ball.
  • West much better with his efforts and weaved well through traffic. Should've at least kicked a goal.
  • Duggan, Sheed, Foley, Hough and Witherden were all solid.
  • XON tackled well and was pretty decent.

Meh =

=
Waterman improved when the team got the ball in there more. Great tackle in the backline. His set shot has somehow gone to sh*it though otherwise he'd be in my positives.
= Williams, although beaten Draper in the ruck contests, his disposals were just dog sh*it. Our forwards had no chance when he delivered it there.
= Clark was just there, nothing good but nothing bad.
= Bazzo quiet up forward and was solid down back.

Negatives -

• Gaff unfortunately continues to be a slow one paced momentum killer. Killed momentum several times by refusing to use his right and turning around go back on his left. His kicking continues to disappoint. Best suited to disposing it by hand.
  • Rotham god please help me. Two disposals and momentum killing dropped marks. Little to no impact whatsoever.
  • L.Edwards injury.
  • Smashed in contested ball.
  • Lacking class when delivering inside 50.
  • Still allowed them to get easy goals on the transition.

Final thoughts.

It's clear that even an out of form Darling with back issues would've had more impact forward than any makeshift options we send there. We're improving as we get our best 22 players back and ball movement looks promising at times. However we're still too slow to defend transitions and easy oppo entries plus the team lacking class when delivering I50 and giving our forwards and advantage although it has improved in this match. Gaff no longer in my best 22 since he kills momentum now. Better off player Burgiel or Hough in the wing.

If we beat Collingwood next week then they don't deserve to win the flag. If Sheed's ankle requires him to miss out on several weeks then I can't wait for a certain poster to melt on our medical team although he hasn't been on for a while.

Yep he has some swervability and ran some crazy subtle angles tonight (including setting up a goal by coming back into the corridor) but he is still at best a very, very fine WAFL player.
AFL heart and work rate in a guy slightly too small and with not enough foot skills to compensate. Chased like a mad man tonight though, makes good decisions and always cracks in bloody hard.

There’s certainly plenty of players who have done way less with way more than what West has to offer.

I pray for the day I can see what Oscar Allen can do with a healthy team around him for a season.

Also, WTF has happened to Waterman’s set shot kicking?

He used to be probably our most reliable set shot. Even at the start of the year he was really accurate.

Maybe the glove he was wearing was affecting it tonight? I assume it was to protect a hand/wrist injury so maybe that’s affecting his ball drop?

Could’ve kicked 4 tonight but his kicks went all over the place.

Running crazy subtle angles, that’s a blast from the past.

From memory is that a Tim Houlihan reference?

Positives:
-Ginbey's hands in close are a real asset. Clean and creative. So impressive given his age and experience. Hough looking better also.
-Yeo got through and reminded us he's a damn good player. Will be an important player along with Kelly as we transition to the kids.
-Really liked BBBW's game. First time he out and out dominated the ruck contests. Took a couple of contested grabs. Still needs to work on taps to advantage, and my god he goes to water in front of goal... but he's 23. Coming along quickly.

Negatives:
-Rotham was very poor. As was Gaff.
-L Edwards concussion. He just can't string games together at the moment.
-Finishing inside 50 and in front of goal cost us badly.

All in all a much better showing. The scoreboard flattered Essendon, they were definitely the far better team, but had we taken our chances better I reckon there would have been some nerves. The added experience of Hurn and Yeo at the back really shored things up, allowed the kids more freedom I think.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

the positive i got from today was that we didn't lose because of lack of effort. Unfortunately the last ten minutes we had some brain fades in the backline.
If we get a few more experienced players back from injury we may resemble a competitive side and may jag some wins eventually.Would love if it could be against the Magpies.

BW? Rucking improving: tick!
Marking improving; tick!
Decision making/ kicking? Work in progress! Mate ; there’s times when you charge in get the ball and then you give to somebody standing still when you had clear running going forward! Have the confidence to take the kick.
But really happy with the improvement! Closing as a lock on our second ruck position.
Ginbey terrific with his handball! Rarely dishes a bad one!
Hurns kicking esp his kickins were great. Why has this taken so long?
Yo; what a star! Oh to have him fit and going! This guy operates in a different league!

Positives
Won the inside 50 count so we won the supply battle.
Yeo made a difference.
Agreed with others that Ginbey played well. Benefited a bit from having at least Yeo in there supporting Sheed and Kelly.
Thought Bailey Williams was solid.
Game looked a bit more like the new style obviously with a lot of mistakes and cheap turnovers thrown in.
As Simmo said it was the minimum the club wanted. Still nowhere near good enough but not as piss weak as last week.

Ginbey and Hough were good. Yeo looked good too.

Gaff has to be a discussion point post bye as more troops arrive. Wish we can get the ball to Noah Long more often.

Rotham two disposals?

This was definitely noticeable. Also did more short kick then run to receive the handball and kick again then we usually get from him which was a treat.
If he does retire this year what I really want him to do is in his farewell game to be given some license to roam up the ground and roost one home from 60 one more time.

Hasn't done that in years but boy it would bring the house down. He used to kick goals like that semi regularly.

Didn't see any of the game but gee it's good to see Ginbey rack up some numbers. And Hough too. Was Ginbey at half back or in the guts though?

Unfortunate that a gun like Allen will waste most of his peak years in a poor team.

And its sad that Yeo has missed so much footy. Such a good player

The Bwilliams soft touch over his head to Petch on the run was pure class, as was the subsequent set shot goal. Quite a few really good moments tonight but that was my fave. The ceiling on both of these guys is super high, even if we don't get to see it all that often or with any consistency.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back