Autopsy Round 11, 2023 - Positives and Negatives vs Essendon

Remove this Banner Ad

Also, WTF has happened to Waterman’s set shot kicking?

He used to be probably our most reliable set shot. Even at the start of the year he was really accurate.

Maybe the glove he was wearing was affecting it tonight? I assume it was to protect a hand/wrist injury so maybe that’s affecting his ball drop?

Could’ve kicked 4 tonight but his kicks went all over the place.
He should've rung Q Lynch before the game who would've told him you need to throw the glove off before you line up for the shot.

The Bwilliams soft touch over his head to Petch on the run was pure class, as was the subsequent set shot goal. Quite a few really good moments tonight but that was my fave. The ceiling on both of these guys is super high, even if we don't get to see it all that often or with any consistency.
Williams I’m very keen to see develop. Petch I personally think is a dud but would be very happily proven wrong.

Could the Allen and Barrass pairing up front work? Easier to find a KPD than a KPF.

When Gov returns it will be worth a proper look. Can Jamieson, HEdwards, J Williams or Barnett become a KPD along side of Bazzo? Not so much for the rest of 2023 but beyond

Last edited:

Positives:
  1. Hunt, Allen, Ginbey, Hough, Williams ruck work. Mid-season draft this week.
  2. Rotham, Gaff, Petrucelle, Waterman, Foley, XON, Clark, West, Witherden making the end of season decision on their contracts easier by the week.

He used to be probably our most reliable set shot. Even at the start of the year he was really accurate.

Maybe the glove he was wearing was affecting it tonight? I assume it was to protect a hand/wrist injury so maybe that’s affecting his ball drop?

The thing is he never was.. for his career he is at 52% accuracy and he is this year down to 45%… ( per the afl website) just because commentators say it doesn’t mean it’s true most of the time..

Oscar is going at 60% for the year and 52% career wise.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Last edited:
Some positives to take from the game, but not many. We really need some midfield help, the defenders tried hard to offer rebound last night.

Duggan - Has been playing better as he tried to move the ball forward, as he always has done. Hit some really nice kicks low and hard out to the wings and looks like a good part of the switch because he can keep the ball low. Does a lot of work. Lead the team for defensive half pressure acts, worked really well with Hunt with both finding each other numerous times.

Hunt - Loved it, love his ballsy attitude to taking on the tackler, seems to be cool headed at full speed which a lot of players can't really do as they buy into their own momentum a bit and tend to send it long. Great pick up. Lead the game for metres gained.

Hurn - Not sure on his numbers but he looked good, looked fit, faster than normal and even being used for a handball receive through the corridor. He is such a weapon and we'll be lost without him, even just as a leader. 100% DE as well and they weren't easy kicks at all.

Barrass - Went back as kind of our only real strong KPD, seemed to have a clear intent to punch and not intercept mark which was fine for the game as we looked to be forcing a contest. Lead the game for 1%. 100% DE

Yeo - Wish we had two of him, one to help Kelly in the middle and one to pair with Hunt and Jones down back. Hope he stays injury free as he is one of the best to watch in the AFL and it's a shame his best years were lost. Had some really good attacking handballs straight through the middle of the ground and great evasiveness, also had four 1% and six tackles.. Unfortunately 5 clangers but whatever, you can still have a decent game like that.

Ginbey - Lead the game for intercept possessions, 5 tackles and some nice neat kicks. Didn't attack a lot with ball in hand often opting for the short kick but that will come with time.

Random other thoughts

Small Forwards
There was a real lack of crumbing opportunities, we either moved it nicely to a leading Allen or Waterman (who missed) or it got rebounded.

We seemed to stop Essendon rebounding a lot of the time where they were forced to chip it around, so possibly the smalls were not really at the feet of the big forwards and were stopping the ball movement through the corridor?

Can't really tell from the TV, felt like we missed the opportunity to even contests (something Darling is good at when out of position) but it could just be because of poor ball use.

Real lack of opportunist goal opportunities during the game, didn't seem to be any crumbers around.

Supporting Acts
Between Clark, Petruccelle, O'Neill, Rotham, Long, Edwards, Gaff, Bazzo, Foley and West we are carrying a lot of players who, although might be best 22, shouldn't all be in the side at once.

Some of this is due to age and inexperience obviously such as Long, he can't be expected to do too much especially given his position as a small forward last night.

Others like Edwards / Bazzo / Foley / Petruccelle might be OK in a fully fit team as the weakest links but at the moment we just have too many in the team at once who either lack experience, are too young, lack talent or are on their way out.

It is really hard to judge some of these guys as they're clearly being played out of position as well.

I have refined themes:
H - Hough, Hunt and Hurn were great.
W - Williams and West as well. They are coming on remarkably well.
D- by cleverly trading down from pick #2 we have drafted a good developing HBF. _ Nar, I think he will be good for us. Not the Dangerfield or Yoe great some talk of but important.
Y- Yoe is a class above our others and a great role model to have on the field. Youth - we need to be patient.

Last edited:
Back when west coast were
a club with standards, the likes of Williams/Xon/Clark/Foley would have lasted maybe a year or two on the list, possibly played in one preseason game and then been delisted- because it is achingly obvious they aren't up to it and never will be.

Absolutely they'll improve with experience, but that's not the point. Every player in AFL history improves with experience, the question is how they perform relative to players of similar age and experience profiles at other teams and the answer to that is 'about 116 points worse'. Looking at these sorts of guys, can anyone honestly say, with 150 games experience under their belts, in their absolute primes they'll be part of a contender side?

The fact that fans think a 50 pt loss to a 10th placed side on the ladder has positives pretty much sums things up- the majority of our team were still vastly vastly inadequate, the reason we lost by 9 goals rather than 18 this week was simply because a few of our older actual footballers came back into the side this week and played actual AFL standard football. The rest of the team is still complete trash.

A new coach without emotional attachments to the list would spend about 10 minutes watching footage and then put a red line through about 30% of our list and start from scratch.

Last edited:
2nd quarter just before petch kicks his long goal redman punched west on the chin in the goal square (anyone else see it?) West drops to his knees. Redman panics and lifts him up as the ball sails through as I think he knows the cameras will be on the area and west on his knees may draw the attention of the MRO. Anyway long story short, if Redman doesn’t cop a week then I’ll be convinced the MRO does * all and only reviews parts of the game brought up by commentators

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Those are the sort of losses I can stomach. Still very frustrating and I changed the channel out of resignation a couple times (only to flick back pretty quickly), but there was enough there to excite for the future.

Positives
Allen is incredible. The guy is sitting 4th in the Coleman at the lowest scoring team in the league.

Hough, Ginbey, Bazzo & Williams played well.
West had a good 1st qtr. If he could do it more consistently he'd be worth keeping around.

Hurn played well. Give him a contract extension.

Yeo for a 3rd round pick to Brisbane, wouldn't even be best 22 ey briztoon ?

Negatives
Rotham is done. I previously commented that him being played in defence would kill his career. Turns out he's just not very good. Not a defender, not a forward. Should we throw him on wing at the expense of someone better just to find him a spot? I don't think so.

XON looked better, but still a very fringe player in a wooden spoon side.

Back when west coast were
a club with standards, the likes of Williams/Xon/Clark/Foley would have lasted maybe a year or two on the list, possibly played in one preseason game and then been delisted- because it is achingly obvious they aren't up to it and never will be.

Absolutely they'll improve with experience, but that's not the point. Every player in AFL history improves with experience, the question is how they perform relative to players of similar age and experience profiles at other teams and the answer to that is 'about 116 points worse'. Looking at these sorts of guys, can anyone honestly say, with 150 games experience under their belts, in their absolute primes they'll be part of a contender side?

The fact that fans think a 50 pt loss to a 10th placed side on the ladder has positives pretty much sums things up- the majority of our team were still vastly vastly inadequate, the reason we lost by 9 goals rather than 18 this week was simply because a few of our older actual footballers came back into the side this week and played actual AFL standard football. The rest of the team is still complete trash.

A new coach without emotional attachments to the list would spend about 10 minutes watching footage and then put a red line through about 30% of our list and start from scratch.
The extensive injury list limiting options at the selection table not a factor?

The lack of early draft picks after years of playing finals has caught up. We all know that. I don't understand your pile on? Almost like we're the wooden spoon favourites, the literal worst side in the comp, is only apparent to you. Do you feel you're showing your keen insight into the game by pointing out we have players on our list that shouldn't be there?

Some positives to take from the game, but not many. We really need some midfield help, the defenders tried hard to offer rebound last night.

Duggan - Has been playing better as he tried to move the ball forward, as he always has done. Hit some really nice kicks low and hard out to the wings and looks like a good part of the switch because he can keep the ball low. Does a lot of work. Lead the team for defensive half pressure acts, worked really well with Hunt with both finding each other numerous times.

Hunt - Loved it, love his ballsy attitude to taking on the tackler, seems to be cool headed at full speed which a lot of players can't really do as they buy into their own momentum a bit and tend to send it long. Great pick up. Lead the game for metres gained.

Hurn - Not sure on his numbers but he looked good, looked fit, faster than normal and even being used for a handball receive through the corridor. He is such a weapon and we'll be lost without him, even just as a leader. 100% DE as well and they weren't easy kicks at all.

Barrass - Went back as kind of our only real strong KPD, seemed to have a clear intent to punch and not intercept mark which was fine for the game as we looked to be forcing a contest. Lead the game for 1%. 100% DE

Yeo - Wish we had two of him, one to help Kelly in the middle and one to pair with Hunt and Jones down back. Hope he stays injury free as he is one of the best to watch in the AFL and it's a shame his best years were lost. Had some really good attacking handballs straight through the middle of the ground and great evasiveness, also had four 1% and six tackles.. Unfortunately 5 clangers but whatever, you can still have a decent game like that.

Ginbey - Lead the game for intercept possessions, 5 tackles and some nice neat kicks. Didn't attack a lot with ball in hand often opting for the short kick but that will come with time.

Random other thoughts

Small Forwards
There was a real lack of crumbing opportunities, we either moved it nicely to a leading Allen or Waterman (who missed) or it got rebounded.

We seemed to stop Essendon rebounding a lot of the time where they were forced to chip it around, so possibly the smalls were not really at the feet of the big forwards and were stopping the ball movement through the corridor?

Can't really tell from the TV, felt like we missed the opportunity to even contests (something Darling is good at when out of position) but it could just be because of poor ball use.

Real lack of opportunist goal opportunities during the game, didn't seem to be any crumbers around.

Supporting Acts
Between Clark, Petruccelle, O'Neill, Rotham, Long, Edwards, Gaff, Bazzo, Foley and West we are carrying a lot of players who, although might be best 22, shouldn't all be in the side at once.

Some of this is due to age and inexperience obviously such as Long, he can't be expected to do too much especially given his position as a small forward last night.

Others like Edwards / Bazzo / Foley / Petruccelle might be OK in a fully fit team as the weakest links but at the moment we just have too many in the team at once who either lack experience, are too young, lack talent or are on their way out.

It is really hard to judge some of these guys as they're clearly being played out of position as well.
Great post 👍
Agree with most of it

There seems to be a consensus that West is in the delist pile with a large group of others, but I thought he has been alright the last few weeks, only played 26 games so still improvement left. Might be worth holding onto as depth as we lack players in his age group.
He is developing well. Never be an a A grader but is agressive, qicik enough and his poise/dosposal is improving. Google work rate.

There seems to be a consensus that West is in the delist pile with a large group of others, but I thought he has been alright the last few weeks, only played 26 games so still improvement left. Might be worth holding onto as depth as we lack players in his age group.
I kind of agree, keep him as depth for a year or two, you never know his disposal might suddenly improve at some point.
We've got so much de-list fodder it's not like he'd be taking someone else's spot and he's the perfect guy to run through the midfield in our WAFL team and help the younger guys develop.

A positive was Nic Martin is putting the nail in the coffin of our recruiting team

Its getting Richard Tambling/Lance Franklin bad that choice

Williams clunking marks was a massive positive though. Lets be real, his future in this side isnt as a first choice ruck. Its the 2nd choice up forward ruck

In a ideal world Nic Nat plays next year and gets a send off and then in 2024 off season, Tim English joins as a free agent. I cant see Doggies offering him 1 mill a year like we can and would

Williams clunking marks was a massive positive though. Lets be real, his future in this side isnt as a first choice ruck. Its the 2nd choice up forward ruck

In a ideal world Nic Nat plays next year and gets a send off and then in 2024 off season, Tim English joins as a free agent. I cant see Doggies offering him 1 mill a year like we can and would

He took a massive two marks… hardly clunking by anyone’s language… and if he is a second forward the ability to a) mark b) kick and c) be anything other than a witches hat when the ball hits the ground probably needs working on.

He took a massive two marks… hardly clunking by anyone’s language… and if he is a second forward the ability to a) mark b) kick and c) be anything other than a witches hat when the ball hits the ground probably needs working on.

Oh 2 is better then his normal tally as 0 is what im getting at. Im aware of how low the base is.

All of the above is spot on but atleast its heading the right way for a change

required a jab

I unfortunately (yes) couldn't be at the game but on the bits I saw on Kayo he was awkwardly walking the boundary after treatment and I wondered if he'd required a jab for an injury and it may have affected this?
He does as supporting forward take a lot of his shots from angles and at distance, but is usually a solid kick at goal.

West is fine, playing forward at the moment from what I can tell which is not his natural game. That forward line needs two of Cripps/Ryan/Darling to function better, much like the defence needed Hurn and Barrass last week (still a sizeable KPD short mind you).

Knows how to move through traffic and does prefer to move forward than backwards on instinct.

Good player to have I think as he's tough and willing to crack in, a bit shy on natural talent but not the worst I've seen.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back