Autopsy Round 11, 2023 - Positives and Negatives vs Essendon

Remove this Banner Ad

He took a massive two marks… hardly clunking by anyone’s language… and if he is a second forward the ability to a) mark b) kick and c) be anything other than a witches hat when the ball hits the ground probably needs working on.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
I think you mean "he took two massive marks".

Clearly he's a work in progress. But he's easily our most improved player over the past 12 months and is still young for a tall. Keen to see where he'll be in another 12 months.

West is fine, playing forward at the moment from what I can tell which is not his natural game. That forward line needs two of Cripps/Ryan/Darling to function better, much like the defence needed Hurn and Barrass last week (still a sizeable KPD short mind you).

Knows how to move through traffic and does prefer to move forward than backwards on instinct.

Good player to have I think as he's tough and willing to crack in, a bit shy on natural talent but not the worst I've seen.
There will no doubt be a clean out of the list end of season, who would you keep out of the fringe mids? 1 or 2 of West, Clarke, Trew, Xon, and L.Edwards?

I think you mean "he took two massive marks".

Clearly he's a work in progress. But he's easily our most improved player over the past 12 months and is still young for a tall. Keen to see where he'll be in another 12 months.

A Double grabber on the wing where he barely jumped and a mark over Nic Martin. Huge

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Hi guys, I do come in peace

Was a tough hard fought win despite the scoreline, plenty of positive take aways for you guys.

Ginbey looks good and showed some positive signs even in that HBF role.
Hough was probably the best of the U21 guys.

Bailey Williams fought bloody well versus a double teaming Essendon ruck duo

Best thing would be the minutes you got into the legs of the guys returning. No (major) injuries to report either.

Allen is going to be, if he isn't already a star.

Good luck for the rest of the year guys, bloody tough with the way things have gone. We went through something similar where we named an injured guy in a final round game maybe 15 years ago such was the club bereft of injuries. Is tough but you get a really good sense of who may be up to it quicker.

A positive was Nic Martin is putting the nail in the coffin of our recruiting team

Its getting Richard Tambling/Lance Franklin bad that choice
Yep it's absolutely astonishing how well our recruiting team manages to bypass talent right under our noses. Basically a young Brett Heady training with us and still cocked it up.

Ginbey looks good as a half back / mid.

He has the closing speed and endurance to do well there defensively and on the counter. A Crisp type who he likend himself to pre draft.

Looked good supplying the rolling handball option at pace rebounding through the centre.

And importantly can win his own ball and one on one contests.

Also, WTF has happened to Waterman’s set shot kicking?

He used to be probably our most reliable set shot. Even at the start of the year he was really accurate.

Maybe the glove he was wearing was affecting it tonight? I assume it was to protect a hand/wrist injury so maybe that’s affecting his ball drop?

Could’ve kicked 4 tonight but his kicks went all over the place.

Was at Hollywood with a finger injury on Friday according to a family member of mine who saw him there.

I thought Williams was only so-so in actual play but he had 33 HOs v 8 HOs on Draper tonight.
I know Essendon fans have been talking up how good Draper has been looking in the last 12 months but in the actual ruck craft he was not up to it aginst our maligned (but developing) ruckman.

I also thought we ran in waves well during long periods of the game.
It was just those inside 50s that were hurting us at the end. Too many kicks to Essendon defenders (20 intercept marks for them).
Part of that was to do with Allen being, at times, our only legitimate forward 50 option. The less said about Rotham playing as a leading forward the better.
Then there were a number of goals that we should've scored from relatively easy set shots.
But, all that being said, it was still encouraging to see the lead up through the middle of the ground.

Also Yeo was a beast at some of the contests and just palmed off a number of players with absolute disdain. Gee I've missed him.
And both Hunt and Ginbey's work in traffic, particularly by hand, was great to see.

See all positives (except for Rotham).
I think you've summed it up well, though I'd add that the umpires absolutely killed us also, pretty sure the majority of Essendons early goals were all from poor umpire decisions.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A positive was Nic Martin is putting the nail in the coffin of our recruiting team

Its getting Richard Tambling/Lance Franklin bad that choice
But did the recruiting team make the decision? I assume they were instrumental in identifying his talent in the WAFL and inviting him to try out for the supplementary position. But once he trained at the club I would expect that the coach would have a major say on whether he was up to the grade.

But did the recruiting team make the decision? I assume they were instrumental in identifying his talent in the WAFL and inviting him to try out for the supplementary position. But once he trained at the club I would expect that the coach would have a major say on whether he was up to the grade.
Wait until we trade a high pick to get him back

+
We're getting to see how the bottom half of our list performs.
West standing up, Foley a mixed bag but more good than bad.
More progress from B. Williams - great to see.

-
Not liking what we're seeing from many of the lesser lights.
Rotham all at sea down forward, give him a wing to roam around and try find some ball. It's his last shot.
Enough said about Gaff, a shadow of his former self.
XON failed to grasp his opportunity once again.

Sack Simpson board.

I think you've summed it up well, though I'd add that the umpires absolutely killed us also, pretty sure the majority of Essendons early goals were all from poor umpire decisions.

I distinctly remember though one of his taps went straight to an Essendon player who goaled. He's got to be better than that - don't put it down the throat of an opposition player close to goal.

Hope the club pays out rotham and delists him at the end of the year.

Wishful thinking that they will do the same for gaff. Hes become a complete waste of space and a liability with the ball. Its such a shame as this is all he will be remembered for (and the brayshaw hit)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back