Preview Round 11 Carlton vs West Coast @ Optus Stadium Sunday 9th August 3.35pm AEST

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
They need to own their performance.
The mature players must face WC and either prove accountable or have their papers stamped.
Giving them a pass against WC and bringing them back for a giggle with Freo only encourages conditional traits.
They have a 9 day break so there are no excuses.

Mate they are not going to stamp papers of veterans half way through the most compromised season on record.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think you know what i mean ...

I do, but Teague obviously has plenty of faith in the older brigade and I see why, young players can be somewhat inconsistent if played every week and tire out.

I just think it would be great if 1 or 2 (or 3) young guys came in this week or next week.

We still have plenty of experience with Cripps, Doc, Cas, Ed and guys like Martin who have 100 games of AFL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Disagree although I never mentioned his kicking. Daniels is a good kick but relieves pressure because he reads the play fast and picks the right option 9/10 times, many via handballs and short kicks. Fish has quick hands and reads the play at a high level.
You're correct you didn't mention good kick and yep he does have lighting quick hands

As others have suggested would love to see some positional changes more than anything. SPS out of the backline, more midfield time for Cunners.

Anyone that says we don’t need Gov is nuts, just look how our forward line has functioned since he was out.

Time for Betts to have a rest, hasn’t got near it for 3 weeks, give Honey a run.

Fish adds much needed zip - Murph won’t get dropped, Newnes probably won’t get dropped... not sure who’ll come out. I’m looking at if from the coaches point of view, not mine.

As others have suggested would love to see some positional changes more than anything. SPS out of the backline, more midfield time for Cunners.

Anyone that says we don’t need Gov is nuts, just look how our forward line has functioned since he was out.

Time for Betts to have a rest, hasn’t got near it for 3 weeks, give Honey a run.

Fish adds much needed zip - Murph won’t get dropped, Newnes probably won’t get dropped... not sure who’ll come out. I’m looking at if from the coaches point of view, not mine.
Agree with all of that bar Mcgovern if Jack was fit he can easily cover Mcgoverns absence good lead up player better at ground level but for next game you may be right .

Sadly, we will get smashed against the weagles. And Kennedy the loss sore that keeps on stinging. Be bold, make changes, look to the future.

We're at the point that we're happy to take the immediate loss, for a possible view to the future.

If they're good to go, I'd welcome any of Dow, Fisher, Philp, TDK, Honey, O'Brien and Cottrell for this match. Not all but some.

It doesn't matter which way it goes, but just to add some vitality to this current corpse.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree with all of that bar Mcgovern if Jack was fit he can easily cover Mcgoverns absence good lead up player better at ground level but for next game you may be right .
I tend to agree. Mitch is capable of the sublime, which Jack isn't. Problem is he only contributes for 10 mins per week if we're lucky.

Jack gives 100% all the time. Can play forward, mid and probably back. Sticks tackles. Is a shocking set shot at goal though. Really looked forward to seeing his progression this year but injuries have robbed us of a meaningful jack season.

I'm highly tempted to play Mitch as the 3rd tall defender, and play jack or Kennedy as the third talls in a smaller forwardline built around two marking targets and then manic pressure from the smalls.

Cunners needs to play more high half forward with 15mins on the ball. Deep forward is not his go. Breaking lines around the attacking wing is where we need him.

Gibbons absolutely needs more time around the pill. Has an innate ability to find the ball in traffic. Just needs to be coached to get the ball to the outside instead of bombing away as is his tendency (and most of our mids to be honest).

The defensive SPS experiment needs to end. He is totally wasted. He needs to play as a midfielder/half forward WHEN our team learns to space around a stoppage and get the ball to the outside. Can find a contested ball though should be our quarterback between to arcs.

I love teaguey but really needs to show some different looks this year. Isn't coaching for his life. He is our coach and will be for a long time. Just needs to change one or two things per game and keep building. Needs to work on match day selections to suit opposition too. And generally rewarding a body of work. TDK looks like brody Grundy mark 2, plays a bog game and Moore is retained. He selects like he owes the players something, and that is not the right way to go. He is the boss. The leader of the direction of the club. He doesn't owe underperformed senior players or rookies anything. The best team with a chance to win has not been selected at all times this year. He needs to be decisive. A skill our whole improving, albeit frustrating, team needs to learn.

Rant over.

I tend to agree. Mitch is capable of the sublime, which Jack isn't. Problem is he only contributes for 10 mins per week if we're lucky.

Jack gives 100% all the time. Can play forward, mid and probably back. Sticks tackles. Is a shocking set shot at goal though. Really looked forward to seeing his progression this year but injuries have robbed us of a meaningful jack season.

I'm highly tempted to play Mitch as the 3rd tall defender, and play jack or Kennedy as the third talls in a smaller forwardline built around two marking targets and then manic pressure from the smalls.

Cunners needs to play more high half forward with 15mins on the ball. Deep forward is not his go. Breaking lines around the attacking wing is where we need him.

Gibbons absolutely needs more time around the pill. Has an innate ability to find the ball in traffic. Just needs to be coached to get the ball to the outside instead of bombing away as is his tendency (and most of our mids to be honest).

The defensive SPS experiment needs to end. He is totally wasted. He needs to play as a midfielder/half forward WHEN our team learns to space around a stoppage and get the ball to the outside. Can find a contested ball though should be our quarterback between to arcs.

I love teaguey but really needs to show some different looks this year. Isn't coaching for his life. He is our coach and will be for a long time. Just needs to change one or two things per game and keep building. Needs to work on match day selections to suit opposition too. And generally rewarding a body of work. TDK looks like brody Grundy mark 2, plays a bog game and Moore is retained. He selects like he owes the players something, and that is not the right way to go. He is the boss. The leader of the direction of the club. He doesn't owe underperformed senior players or rookies anything. The best team with a chance to win has not been selected at all times this year. He needs to be decisive. A skill our whole improving, albeit frustrating, team needs to learn.

Rant over.
Very good post. 👏👏👏

Rant over.
Nice rant though pretty much agree on all points .
Am warming to Mcgovern as a defender this is a year given the circumstances to possibly experiment a little with rotating our talls .
Give Gov a run down back rest Jones or Plowman for a game or 2 .
Same can be done with our tall forwards when Jack is fit rotate them Levi is clearly in need of a rest .
Just have to get them all fit .
Really not sure why Moore was selected in the first place have a suspicion there may have been a little pressure from Lloyd or Little here .
Doesnt make sense to me .

Nice rant though pretty much agree on all points .
Am warming to Mcgovern as a defender this is a year given the circumstances to possibly experiment a little with rotating our talls .
Give Gov a run down back rest Jones or Plowman for a game or 2 .
Same can be done with our tall forwards when Jack is fit rotate them Levi is clearly in need of a rest .
Just have to get them all fit .
Really not sure why Moore was selected in the first place have a suspicion there may have been a little pressure from Lloyd or Little here .
Doesnt make sense to me .
We just so desperately need to figure out if marchy can football. He looked so good a few years ago but is made of cheap glass. Jones has had some fantastic games but he just has zero football intelligence. He cannot be relied upon in crunch time in a big game. That is abundantly clear. If marchy cannot be a consistent AFL player ad a 2nd defender we really are screwed long term from a kpd point of view. Obviously weits is god tier but we need a 2nd talk defender that is reliable.

I wouldn't rest plow. He is finally getting some consistency. I hate his demeanour, particularly post game and that time (?jones) was heavily concussed and he was having a laugh. BUT he is one accountable midfield away from being a top tier small defender.

I think gov takes the 3rd tall spot with it looking like

Plow- Jones/marchy- doc
Gov- weits- Williamson

In terms of levi, he just needs some delivery. He is playing brilliantly in a team that probably has bottom 3 i50 delivery.

In: LOB, McGovern, Fisher, Dow
Out: Murphy, Moore, Betts, Kennedy

Betts could use a rest, has been trying to get his goals out the back too often. Fisher's fresh legs useful against a fast-ball-moving WCE team. LOB provides better defensive pressure and run than Murphy. McGovern is... a football player. Need to inject some speed into the midfield, Dow helps.

Play Cuningham through the midfield or bring in Honey in his place. Play SPS more through the midfield or bring Cottrell in his place. If we want to be less one paced through the middle, Fisher, Dow and Cuningham need to be used there.

What we will actually see:

In: McGovern
Out: Moore

In: LOB, McGovern, Fisher, Dow
Out: Murphy, Moore, Betts, Kennedy

Betts could use a rest, has been trying to get his goals out the back too often. Fisher's fresh legs useful against a fast-ball-moving WCE team. LOB provides better defensive pressure and run than Murphy. McGovern is... a football player. Need to inject some speed into the midfield, Dow helps.

Play Cuningham through the midfield or bring in Honey in his place. Play SPS more through the midfield or bring Cottrell in his place. If we want to be less one paced through the middle, Fisher, Dow and Cuningham need to be used there.

What we will actually see:

In: McGovern
Out: Moore
I'm so desperate to see lob.

Also, I hope we haven't ruined stocker by trying to 'make him earn it' because he's 'cocky'....

In TDK ,Polson, Obrien, Honey,Jsos,Dow,Fisher
Out Murphy,Betts, Moore, Simmo,sps,Cunningham, Kennedy
But I'll put money Teague will go in unchanged
He won't make a statement a drop seniors players

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back