Preview Round 11 Carlton vs West Coast @ Optus Stadium Sunday 9th August 3.35pm AEST

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would be dropping murphy, resting simmo and replacing moore before whinging about kennedy, cunners and newnes, if for no other reason because those 3 are part of the furniture next year and the olds are cooked. Cunners won us a game the week before and he is playing on starvation corner. Quite honestly teague's coaching is not helping cunners and sps. They are no different to jack martin and need time at the coal face, more so when Kennedy and Setters are having a bad day

Something I’ve been noticing since the resumption is Weiters tendency to spoil back into the corridor, not sure if he can spoil with his left but he needs to come up with a fix as it cost us this week and has in the past as well, to be fair all our defenders spoils this week were horrible and misdirected but I’ve noticed it creeping into Weiters game.

I gave us a big rap for our 1%ers against the Dogs as they were extremely effective and really helped our scoring, this week we witnessed the best team of the last 10 years at this and it killed us, there tap ons, chip ons, tap downs etc... were extremely damaging and I hope we watched and learnt from it as if we can make this a more regular part of our game, and not just reserved for the wet or slippery conditions, it will really help our game and ball movement especially for the less sure handed in the team as it is a great option especially when the pressure is on.

He's not a whipping boy to me. He's just a bad player. 6 touches at 67% efficiency. 2 of those were goals so out of his 4 touches around the ground only 2 were effective.

Let that sink in, 2 effective touches around the ground out of 85% TOG.

His role isn't to kick goals so while those goals were good, they should be a bonus to compliment the rest of his game. If you're not doing your job in the team then your position in the team comes into question.

What actual evidence does anyone have to say he deserves to hold his spot outside of the irrelevant "he kicked 2 goals" and the uniformed "others were worse"?
Haven't looked closely but it's what you do when you don't have the ball that is just as if not more important? Im no coach but 2 goals is awesome so for me he keeps his plAce

Many teams are rotating heavily with the "compromised" draw, we are keeping it to a bloody minimum, absolutely crazy.
Plenty of players should be in line for rotation/managing, let alone under performers. Other than Moore, no players absolutely
screams drop me, but a few could do with a rest or "little rocket" to address some short comings.

Are we trying to tell the competition that we have a better regime than them to manage soft tissue issues or what?

If I knew categorically that Levi was fit, I would give Jones a break. Jonesy just looks off structurally, let alone some brain fades and poor disposal errors.
Would "rest" Murphy or Cuningham, not both and give our much hyped recruit Josh Honey a go. Pressure and pace, decent skills, I reckon he is screaming
for a chance to show his wares. For the most part, newbies should be brought in and given a chance to show their skills, rather than being slotted in as an
injury fill-in. Give them the feeling that they have pushed their way in, build the confidence.

Moore obviously goes out. Move Levi back Harry can be joined by Gov and TDK can get some much needed "blooding".

So in McGovern, De Koning, Honey. Out Moore, Jones, Cuningham or Murphy (take your pick, I would lean to Murph out and play Cuners more midfield
with Martin playing predominately forward. Giving Murph a blow now also allows Eddie and Simmo one later). Levi to go back for Jones.

.....and FFS tell Crippa he is a great player, but needs to use his gifts to bring his team mates in to the game rather than trying to do it all himself.
He is not doing the team or himself any favours currently. Last point is that Teaguey is becoming Ratten lite, in that he is throwing all of his stars at
the ball as opposed to structure and best use. Jack Martin is a forward who pinch hits in the middle, not a grunt mid blunting his attacking capability.

I would be dropping murphy, resting simmo and replacing moore before whinging about kennedy, cunners and newnes, if for no other reason because those 3 are part of the furniture next year and the olds are cooked. Cunners won us a game the week before and he is playing on starvation corner. Quite honestly teague's coaching is not helping cunners and sps. They are no different to jack martin and need time at the coal face, more so when Kennedy and Setters are having a bad day
Yeah I’d like to see our midfield combinations increased altogether I think injecting players with different attributes at different stages can be a weapon and players like Cunners, Gibbons and SPS offer something different around the stoppages for the opposition to worry about and would make us a lot harder to play against if we had different combos to throw at them, it also gives them something different to think about forward if Setters, Kennedy and Cripps go forward more often as they are all very good over head and very good at finding space inside 50.

There is a lot to be said for continuity and I understand that Teague is trying to build some chemistry between players in specific roles, however I just think you can also be a lot more flexible and fluid by changing up combos especially if we are becoming to readable to the opposition and you might only need to change one player to totally change the way a game is being played, I just hope Teague isn’t falling into the same trap as Bolton by not being flexible enough in his thinking as it is a coaches greatest weapon if used right. I think he isn’t as we have seen a fair few slight adjustments here and there over the weeks but he can still use more variations to his and our advantage if he is bold enough.

In: McGovern, O'Brien, Fisher
Out: Moore, Murphy, Gibbons

B: Plowman-----------------Jones----------------Simpson

H: Docherty---------------Weitering-------------Williamson

C: Newnes-----------------Cripps----------------O'Brien

H: Cuningham------------Casboult---------------Martin

F: Betts--------------------McKay---------------McGovern

Foll: Pittonet, Setterfield, SPS

Bench: E.Curnow, Kennedy, Walsh, Fisher

Many teams are rotating heavily with the "compromised" draw, we are keeping it to a bloody minimum, absolutely crazy.
Plenty of players should be in line for rotation/managing, let alone under performers. Other than Moore, no players absolutely
screams drop me, but a few could do with a rest or "little rocket" to address some short comings.

Are we trying to tell the competition that we have a better regime than them to manage soft tissue issues or what?

If I knew categorically that Levi was fit, I would give Jones a break. Jonesy just looks off structurally, let alone some brain fades and poor disposal errors.
Would "rest" Murphy or Cuningham, not both and give our much hyped recruit Josh Honey a go. Pressure and pace, decent skills, I reckon he is screaming
for a chance to show his wares. For the most part, newbies should be brought in and given a chance to show their skills, rather than being slotted in as an
injury fill-in. Give them the feeling that they have pushed their way in, build the confidence.

Moore obviously goes out. Move Levi back Harry can be joined by Gov and TDK can get some much needed "blooding".

So in McGovern, De Koning, Honey. Out Moore, Jones, Cuningham or Murphy (take your pick, I would lean to Murph out and play Cuners more midfield
with Martin playing predominately forward. Giving Murph a blow now also allows Eddie and Simmo one later). Levi to go back for Jones.

.....and FFS tell Crippa he is a great player, but needs to use his gifts to bring his team mates in to the game rather than trying to do it all himself.
He is not doing the team or himself any favours currently. Last point is that Teaguey is becoming Ratten lite, in that he is throwing all of his stars at
the ball as opposed to structure and best use. Jack Martin is a forward who pinch hits in the middle, not a grunt mid blunting his attacking capability.

Think we haven’t really needed to rest players the same as other clubs as our fixture so far has had the breaks for the players to cope. Fitness team seem to be on top & the games are shorter for recovery.

MC obviously wanted to give Moore more than the 1 game but he cannot continue. Pity that we didn’t take advantage of the reserves playing the week prior & the form of TDK & Honey leading into changes vs HFC.

We’re looking at players being played out of position & out of form now and Teaguey needs to act earlier for changes within matches, if not when putting the names up on the board.

Can we move Jones forward, or is that too jittery for him? Ideal if things have turned on us & he could roam CHF with his better fitness since moving back. A run in the ruck if we’re struggling?

The first 7 apart from Fisher are already in the side, but he is on par if not better speed (apart from Walsh)and disposal wise to all those players

Ramsay and Philp? Not even close, but Ramsay will surprise many

Newnes is currently outperforming Betts and Cuners, so perhaps one of them should be a replacement for Fisher, rather than Newnes

Keep in mind Newnes is effectively being used as a 7th defender, spending more than 60% of his time defensive side of centre

Perhaps positional coaching would also increase his hurt factor, given his conversion is elite this year, 8 goals 1

Newnes won't be dropped on those comparisons

Perhaps people just want our youth to be played, but again, other senior players should make way before Newnes is a consideration
I'd honestly be fine with him moving inside and Jack getting some more time in the reserves, but we need to speed things up.

I just don't know if he's had enough pre-season minutes to make the move, so I'd defer to windows1.

Where were you when I predicted Gibbons is not AFL standard and when I said C. Curnow knee is stuffed just like Danny Welbecks and he will always be injury prone.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

O

LOB has to play on Optus Stadium. Needs his running power.
And Fish with Gov if fit. TDK if Gov not ready.

West Coast weren't at their best last night, but still got the job done against Geelong. We'll have to produce our best over 4 qtrs if we want to be in the game for as long as we can.
They're a class act when on..
Their marking must be clise to the best in the comp ..
We need to bring plenty of pressure for this..

I'm not taking this year seriously. It's an opportunity for development, trial and error.

If not this week, some time soon, a combination of the following

Murphy, Simmo and Jones need to start transitioning to retirement
SPS banned from HBF
Moore just banned
Eddie has a spell
JSOS, Fish and McGovern back in
TDK, Owies, Honey, Philp, Dow, McReadie, Cottrel, LOB and Stocker get game time. Seriously, why are some of these guys on the list if they are continually overlooked for the same old tired format. It's not like we've found a winning combination.

Have the guts to try something new.

Well amongst other things - the problem with playing one wing 40/60 and the other 60/40 is that they are both never playing wing together presenting options on BOTH sides of the field - which means defences have that much more time to know how the ball is coming and where...this compounds the defensive HOLES that appear in any pursuit of forward pressure as well...literally opening up one side of the ground at least to easier exit options and ( as Hawthorn did) provides 2/3rds of the ground on one side to stack an end to end transition - who cares what Newnes or Walsh are doing if they are back and in the other side of the ground ? You don't even have a decent corridor block option - which is why so many teams find it easy to go through the corridor against us...

Now make one of those wingers playing his 40% forward time allotment Murphy and its party time.

Like I said previously Teague and his coaches are the ones that were schooled MUCH more than the players...

Playing musical chairs with players won't make a pinch of S***t difference to easy scoring against us against sides that can kick and mark - Hawthorn had close to 50 more uncontested possessions against us in 3/4 of football - it was a game of keepings off -for much of it - ran the team into the ground - not they had the superior running ability - just a superior set up for 3/4 of the game.

No new news either - other sides figured out the structure and the weaknesses months ago - all they needed was just enough skill to implement - and plenty have.

No side is going to win every center bounce and every contest for 4 quarters and against our setups between the arcs and Carlton doesn't have a mortgage or sole right of use of attacking capability - all they have to do is win one good quarter and the game is gone. How many examples of this story does Teague and Co have to see before they realise you can't be half pregnant if you want to do justice to both defence and attack? How many times do we have to see opposition sides with easy and repeated overlap numbers - before Teague wakes up top the fact that conceding between the arcs ground is a losers game?

Unfortunately, both Silvagni and McGovern are big outs as far as missing marking power - and smarts.

but the real test is on Teague to smarten up imo - he has the firepower - he needs to start using it properly.

For me just Fisher in for Moore. We will learn a hell of a lot about players individually this week so I think if it goes well then we are improving as a side, if we have a poor game that’s when we should make the big changes.
atm we have 5-6 consistently good players and the rest are abit like yo-yo’s or just don’t ever perform to a better then average level.

Jack Martin plays with intensity, which is why he was put at the coal face. They should start with that

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back