Preview Round 11 Changes v Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

Can't remember which one, but I know there was one goal in the last quarter which was started with a contested win on the half forward flank by Emmett. I thought his pressure in the forward half was good.

Really we're looking at a game result where we missed about 10 set shots at goal from inside 50m.

In: Darcy and Simpson
Out: Voss (good depth though) and Freddy

Jlo will give the sub vest to Simpson.

Emmet and Walters just keep their spots. Draper given another go..but if they were to go with Davies or Worner I’m ok with that.
I don't reckon Emmet is doing enough to hold his spot. Think he needs a run at peel, Sturt to come in for him i reckon; he kicks straight!

I don't reckon Emmet is doing enough to hold his spot. Think he needs a run at peel, Sturt to come in for him i reckon; he kicks straight!
I don't think Emmett is doing enough to hold his spot, but no one is doing enough to take his spot away from him. Doesn't help that Freddy and Switta keep getting injured.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We ain't playing for the future. We playing for the chance we still likely make the finals.

So put your statement in the bin

Won't make finals playing ordinary footy. Freo lucky they beat one of the worst teams in the comp.

All those players I listed are as good as if not better players than the outs I listed.

Enjoy dumpster diving for my throwaways

Won't make finals playing ordinary footy. Freo lucky they beat one of the worst teams in the comp.

All those players I listed are as good as if not better players than the outs I listed.

"lucky to beat" means having double the shots on goal. alright mate.

play davies and erasmus and simpson against the 4th on the ladders pies. because there's no chance of us making finals this year. not like we're one game off 3rd place or anything. just throw away the whole season.

Nice ins.. hugh unknown qty as hasn't played as yet, Sturt who hasn't even played at peel for 2 weeks, Ras who isn't going to play the same as at peel because it won't be in his best position..Simpson who hardly was seen the last game he played..yeh sure make wholesale changes against the pies, even after a win 😂🤣

I'd expect you would at least wait for the autopsy thread after a drubbing before come out with wholesale changes like this..but C'mon now

Last edited:
Nice ins.. hugh unknown qty as hasn't played as yet, Sturt who hasn't even played at peel for 2 weeks, Ras who isn't going to play the same as at peel because it won't be in his best position..Simpson who hardly was seen the last game he played..yeh sure make wholesale changes against the pies, even after a win 😂🤣

I'd expect you would at least wait for the autopsy thread after a drubbing before come out with wholesale changes like this..but C'mon now

Draper had a poor last few games. He looks tired. Davis deserves a go.

Emmitt hasn't touched the ball in weeks and you think Simpson is a downgrade?

Wagner playing terrific rebound for Peel would release some pressure out of defense. Could try him as half forward or Walker for Fredericks who is out concussed.

Erasmus needs experience. Omera who is underwhelming is holding him back. Omera is over 30 and his knee is cooked.

Really doubt Cooper will get a call up. Got the full game in his second against Tigers and barely touched it. Got dropped and had prob his most least effective game at Peel.

I like Cooper but if he is to be recalled it will be after a couple of games where he plays well.

Wagner, Worner, Erasmus, Brodie, Davies and Reidy have consistently performed well and Hughes solid when back at Peel. I’d go as far as saying Erasmus is the best in the WAFL league at the moment. In saying that our league copped a thrashing today from SANFL state side.

The ins will be from those aforementioned names. Reidy won’t play as Darcy has been slated by JL to be back on Friday night.

I like what Wagner has been doing. I also liked Worner’s game in round 1 as well as his recent WAFL form. Sturt’s last WAFL game was very good and his injury was mild.

Collingwood aren’t a tall forward team. Draper (or sleepy Joe from Sat night) replaced with Wagner or Warner.
Freddy replaced with Sturt
Either Emmett or Walters to Sub. Don’t mind Walters coming on for a last quarter spark.

Father Time is definitely catching up with Michael Walters.

Simpson has a very special talent (in both AFL and WAFL) of completely disappearing for large chunks of the game. Nothing against him, he's very young and plays in a tough position. And when he does get the ball he does some nice things with it. But if you're not getting the ball you need to be a presence around the ground, and your pressure needs to be palpable.

Emmett doesn't do anywhere near enough, but I will always see him chasing and pressuring. Again, that's the difference between 2022 slump Walters and 2024 slump Walters.

IN: Sturt, Davies, Simpson.

OUT: Frederick, Draper, Walters.

The most like for like replacements we can make for each of those players, ideally Emmett would come out too but I can't think of anyone to replace him with.

Reckon JOM could be the one given a negating role on Daicos, has the footy smarts to do it to.

Collingwood don’t have a very tall forward line so I’d like to see Worner brought in for Draper.

Have to keep a check on who lines up for Collingwood. They've lost a couple through injury - Hoskin-Elliot and McInnes. Mihocek on their injury list last week was scheduled to be returning for Rd 11. Not sure if we can drop a key defender - I'm always concerned about cover if you lose one early. They still have Cox and Cameron in their side.

Wagner has to play in the backline if he comes in because that's where he's been playing at Peel. Other than dropping Draper and going smaller, it's possible if Aish or Chapman get rotations into the midfield, but they seem pretty set in defence.

Our wings won the positions last night against good opponents in Hill and Wood, kicked our first 2 goals as well. Mostly Johnson and Sharp, although the was some other rotations with O'Meara, maybe Banfield.

Think our backline will hold up if the pressure up the ground is there. Stopping ball movement when we turn it over at half forward with the likes of Quaynor, Noble and Maynard rebounding would be a bigger issue.

I don't know about Sonny, maybe he goes back to sub. First couple of weeks of the season he looked as lively as ever, especially with getting back up quick to go and compete again but he's been down for weeks. He did have a couple of leads up on his opponent last night which gave him shots at goal, but generally 1 v 1 opposition teams can find a player to shut him down. Worry with Collingwood is they bounce out so quick.

Also have to see which players trained yesterday. I heard Luke Ryan in an after the match interview say Darcy was due to do a big training session yesterday. Last time Peel had a bye they had a combined training session with the Freo spares, so they might have done that again.

Last edited:
Walters is going backwards at an alarming rate. It is affecting things he used to be great at. Like picking the ball up cleanly from the deck. He is so keen to get to the next movement because he has lost what little pace he has that he leaves without the ball.

Then he is still doing the dumb stuff he has always done, which he used to make up for with his around the ground play and goals. Now he doesn't have those the errors compound. Why he refuses to stay on the ground when a KPF is contesting the mark.

He has been a Freo great. If we are going to carry a small forward I would rather it be Simpson as the development will pay dividends. The selectors have to make a call. Give him a rest for a couple of rounds.

Freddy misses a week.

Darcy / Simpson and Sturt in.

Walters / Voss and Freddy out.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back