Opinion Round 11 Changes vs. Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been thinking for ages that spurr wasnt much chop and been a protected species for a long time. So in some ways I'm glad that the ball was coming in so much he was exposed and some changes can be made. Ditto for ibbo and Sutcliffe (why is he back again anyway?).

If we are playing the long game here and trying to achieve a consistent level of excellence (at the risk of getting shot by posters) maybe its an opportunity to send the strongest of messages to the players (especially the young ones) by dropping a big name like Walters or Mundy for next week.

I know it's just one game but what this clubs needs is strong leadership during this period of rebuild. No excuses. I think we learn more about players as supporters on a night like this. Who is going to stand up and lead? And tonight it showed that both were unable or unwilling to compete and lead in such a dire predicament.

I know it is unlikely to happen but if it did it would be a line in the sand moment for the club and a positive can be taken out of tonight.

Out: Brad Hill. Continuously coasting around, plays one good game then s**t for 4 weeks. Can't hit a target unless it's the goal. Was a bad trade by us, he was the steak knives at Hawthorn and now that he isn't surrounded by the same talent, he's shown to be ordinary.
In: Anyone.

Was this actually a serious post lol.

Ibbotson for Collins doesn't make much sense. Our backline is crying out for better kicks and more run so we bring in a slow KPD who's kicking is probably his biggest weakness?

Collins has been going great and would obviously love him in but we really don't need 3 key defenders.

Yeah I hear ya but the argument for me is Collins goes to the KPF and Hamling and Johnno are loose rather than Hamling tied up and Johnno and Igbo loose(er)

I've been thinking for ages that spurr wasnt much chop and been a protected species for a long time. So in some ways I'm glad that the ball was coming in so much he was exposed and some changes can be made. Ditto for ibbo and Sutcliffe (why is he back again anyway?).

If we are playing the long game here and trying to achieve a consistent level of excellence (at the risk of getting shot by posters) maybe its an opportunity to send the strongest of messages to the players (especially the young ones) by dropping a big name like Walters or Mundy for next week.

I know it's just one game but what this clubs needs is strong leadership during this period of rebuild. No excuses. I think we learn more about players as supporters on a night like this. Who is going to stand up and lead? And tonight it showed that both were unable or unwilling to compete and lead in such a dire predicament.

I know it is unlikely to happen but if it did it would be a line in the sand moment for the club and a positive can be taken out of tonight.
Meh. The game was over before it started. Back the leaders in for a powerful response this week before considering them for WAFL duties. A-graders will have occasion off nights, it's the mid tier that never fire a shot that need the chopping. Our match committee are very slow learners apparently.

Out: Brad Hill. Continuously coasting around, plays one good game then s**t for 4 weeks. Can't hit a target unless it's the goal. Was a bad trade by us, he was the steak knives at Hawthorn and now that he isn't surrounded by the same talent, he's shown to be ordinary.
Yeh he had a bad game but no way he was a bad trade he has been amazing for us!

Out: Ibbotson, Spurr, Pearce, Sutcliffe and Griffin.

In: Logue, Ryan, Langdon, Nyhuis and Sandilands.

Collins is stiff here but I don't think 3 talls is the answer to our problems.

Ibbotson, Spurr and Griffin should be self explanatory.

I put Pearce and Sutcliffe in the Suban basket in that we know that what they deliver is not going to improve us. Do not select. (A glimmer of hope remains for Sutcliffe imo).
The only glimmer of hope for sutty is that he's contracted for next year. He's the definition of dead wood for mine. Just turned 25yo, played nearly 100 games and has only ever shown glimpses of being a mediocre player at best. Should be coming into his prime but is regressing hard. Sounds harsh and probably is, but his continued selection really irks me haha. Coaches love the run he provides from half back apparently - shame we never see it on the field.

SUMMARY
The 24-year-old rebounding defender continues to develop at AFL level, taking 108 marks, the third most for the club in 2016. Sutcliffe’s fitness continues to be a strength, placing in the top three in both of Fremantle’s 3km time trials.

WHAT THE COACH SAYS (Michael Prior)
Cam’s had an outstanding summer. He’s come back super fit and has been training as a defender where he continues to grow. He’s giving himself every chance of a consistent year due to his pre-season and we want him running off half-back. His run and fitness level suggest he will have a solid year.

Do you even football?

I don't think it is simply changes to the squad. There needs to be a bit of structural shuffling too, especially back and mid.

Collins/Cox and Ryan into the backline. Hamling to a more dynamic role, Collins/Cox in more as the stopper. Ryan in to replace Weller who slides more midfield.

Hopefully brings a bit more flow for us.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Stephen Hill has been terrible since returning from his hammy. He was absolutely on fire before hand and now looks terrible. Mundy, 7 possessions, enough said. Reminded me of his game against the Eagles. Just couldn't lift.

Luke Beverage would drop them, I mean senior players who are underperforming.

But we don't have the depth to do it. Personally I'd back in our senior players to respond, but that's what we expected between round 1 and 2.

All the sweeping changes people are suggesting are just sugar coating it, our senior / experienced players; Fyfe, Mundy, Neale, S.Hill, B.Hill, Johnson got smashed.

Replacing Griffin, D.Pearce, Sutcliffe, Ibbotson with Sean Darcy, Ryan, Collins and Langdon wouldn't have changed the result, we were let down by the leaders. The only difference is we could look forward to the latter improving, which is what was missing from last nights group.

Spurr Hamling Hughes
Ryan Johnson Crozier
S Hill Fyfe BHill
Walters McCarthy Weller
Darcy Kersten Mundy
Saudi Neale Blakely
Tucker Sheridan Grey Sutcliffe

Collins isn't the answer, he will just turn it over.

Ryan in for Mundy with weller to the midfield. Make a statement in the midfield, see how they respond.

Ibbo for Nyhuis.

In - Ryan, Sandilands / darcy, Langdon, Logue
Out - ibbotson, griffin, pearce, Sutcliffe

I want nyhuis in also. I don't see them dropping spurt and need his experience in the backline. Hughes has been ok but not great so wouldn't mind giving nyhuis a go instead of him. I think nyhuis is out of contract end of the season so we may as well see what he can do at afl level

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back