Prediction Round 11: Changes Vs Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

Has anyone seen Pearce ruck? Has the mobility to run around with Grundy, but I have never seen anything to suggest he's a ruckman.

Our defence has been watertight this season and someone is suggesting we need to take one of our 2 best KPD and play him out of position?

The issue for most of the season is our delivery to the forwards. Maybe we could work on that?
I said in desperate times and Tabs wasn't a ruckman either but has rucked and have you seen Logue play of Late as I have and in my opinion he could hold down CHB.

You're out cause you have nothing.

You need to actually make an argument that can be engaged with first if you expect people to do so. No one is going to waste time debating anecdotes of "I heard person say X". It's an opinion you're welcome to believe but the whole "come at me Lyon pose, prove my infallible position wrong" is ridiculous.

Pretty much as expected. Do hope we can somehow free Blakely up to play midfield at some point though. I understand he probably needs to get used to the level after being out so long but he's wasted at half-back imo.

Changes vs Port will be incredible, tocuhwood

In: Stephen Hill, Bennel, Darcy

Who goes out then..
-

I've got no answer to this but the good thing is I reckon most of our team doesn't either - But they'll know someone will be making way !

Throw Logue in there as well and there's a versatile defender, midfielder, forward and ruck/key position all possibly ready to fit in

Pretty much everyone running out this weekend will know their spot is up for grabs and hopefully playing accordingly - What are we paying again ? $5.50 ? Could be worth a flutter !!

our backs vs their fronts matchups?

Hamling vs DeGoey
Pearce vs Reid
Hughes vs Mihocek
Wilson vs Stephenson
Ryan vs Thomas
Duman vs Hoskin-Elliot

with Hamling & Wilson changing whenever Stephenson plays deepest. Basically, Hamling plays full-back.
Reasoning, deepest forward is most dangerous & Hamling is our best pure defender, deep.
Pearce nullifies the best aerialist usually.
Ryan best interceptor should be on the least dangerous forward. Now I've written that, watch Thomas kick a bag :(
Duman's best matchup physically is the equally svelte WHE, so (Scooby) Duman can match him & still use his attacking weapons.
Wilson has speed, Stephenson is a gazelle.
Mihocek is a bustler, & whilst Hughes will be giving away size, he is athletic & has energy, hopefully to match big Brodie.

any tag/run with should go to Sidebottom

(Log in to remove this ad.)

our backs vs their fronts matchups?

Hamling vs DeGoey
Pearce vs Reid
Hughes vs Mihocek
Wilson vs Stephenson
Ryan vs Thomas
Duman vs Hoskin-Elliot

with Hamling & Wilson changing whenever Stephenson plays deepest. Basically, Hamling plays full-back.
Reasoning, deepest forward is most dangerous & Hamling is our best pure defender, deep.
Pearce nullifies the best aerialist usually.
Ryan best interceptor should be on the least dangerous forward. Now I've written that, watch Thomas kick a bag :(
Duman's best matchup physically is the equally svelte WHE, so (Scooby) Duman can match him & still use his attacking weapons.
Wilson has speed, Stephenson is a gazelle.
Mihocek is a bustler, & whilst Hughes will be giving away size, he is athletic & has energy, hopefully to match big Brodie.

any tag/run with should go to Sidebottom

Honestly, if we bring our A-Game (big if I know), we could go close to making this even-money.

Break even in the midfield and we've got the cattle to neutralise them down back (we've already done similar jobs on GWS and Adelaide - equally potent forward lines on their day.)

Honestly, if we bring our A-Game (big if I know), we could go close to making this even-money.

Break even in the midfield and we've got the cattle to neutralise them down back (we've already done similar jobs on GWS and Adelaide - equally potent forward lines on their day.)
Break even in the midfield - simples!

I’d love us to go close in this game, but realistically we are likely to get flogged

I'm saying that on face value you'd prioritise the player picked earlier, especially if they're a real early pick because you pick the best players first, right?
Of course we've seen stars develop from all over the draft but you'd consider that somewhat lucky for a low draft pick. Those blokes you mentioned could very well become absolute stars of the game but to some degree you've got to play the odds and play the guys that have those higher expectations and potentially much higher ceilings.
Are you suggesting that North, Crowden, Giro, Dixon etc are already pegged as battlers or non stars?

Perhaps those guys could benefit from fast track development too but Brayshaw is holding them out? Just because a player is drafted later than another doesn’t ensure a better future.

I think honest feedback and integrity in selection is the best way to go. If it’s disappointing to Brayshaw or whoever, then that’s good for their development too.

On T10(E3C6) using BigFooty.com mobile app

I'm saying that on face value you'd prioritise the player picked earlier, especially if they're a real early pick because you pick the best players first, right?
Of course we've seen stars develop from all over the draft but you'd consider that somewhat lucky for a low draft pick. Those blokes you mentioned could very well become absolute stars of the game but to some degree you've got to play the odds and play the guys that have those higher expectations and potentially much higher ceilings.

On T10(E3C6) using BigFooty.com mobile app
To what end?
When do you look to seeing if later picks are actually better?

No change, as expected. There will not be a late change either. If we play Jones we will have our worst loss of the season. I have been wrong before, but there is no way Jones could counter Grundy - he would jump right over him, run off him, out mark him. Maybe against Goldy he could have a better crack at, but not Grundy. You would almost be better off playing ... McCarthy in the ruck - ok jokes aside now...

Pearce in the ruck... ok last joke- that is a terrible idea. Probably our most important cog in the whole machine. Him, Hamling and Ryan + Hughes (he has his critics but I like what he does - he does have decision issues - but that is good, because he is making less critical mistakes).

I might be one of the only ones, but I think we are probably outperforming ourselves. I think we are actually out coaching other teams. This may seem crazy to a lot, but when I compare lists, and where our playing group is at, I think we are actually doing very well. This is not accepting mediocre - it is a realistic assessment of our list and comparing it to the competition.

If you look at the American sports teams it is the cattle that win the competitions, not the coach - although the coaching has a big part in uniting the group. Nothing unites a team more than wins - and that is junior through to senior - like it or not.

I might be one of the only ones, but I think we are probably outperforming ourselves. I think we are actually out coaching other teams. This may seem crazy to a lot, but when I compare lists, and where our playing group is at, I think we are actually doing very well. This is not accepting mediocre - it is a realistic assessment of our list and comparing it to the competition.

From memory most of us wanted 10-11 wins this season and we are on track for that at the moment, Ross has a lot of work to do though if he's going to get us that flag by 2020.

Sensible selection heading into the bye and players coming back from injury. This will be our second 6 day break in a row and travelling into a cold and windy Melbourne. Think we could be in for a hiding with such a young side running out of juice.

You need to actually make an argument that can be engaged with first if you expect people to do so. No one is going to waste time debating anecdotes of "I heard person say X". It's an opinion you're welcome to believe but the whole "come at me Lyon pose, prove my infallible position wrong" is ridiculous.

First, I didn't engage him, he got stuck into me, then had a sook when I replied.

Secondly, what substantiation do you suggest I could provide besides seeing and hearing Lyon say these exact things? Do you want him to sign a statutory declaration for you? It happens to fit with how I see us play but that is opinion. It doesn't fit the narrative you want to believe, fine, don't believe it. But what possible reason would I have for making it up, it isn't even big news to me that Ross Lyon doesn't trust some of his players to kick the pill and wants them to give it to players that he does trust. And as I said, anyone that cares to watch will see players that are in two minds kicking the ball - professional footballers that look scared.

Thirdly, your so called quote is not close to what I said, it's not hard to quote accurately if you want to.

Ballas at the G are the never ending tale of nightmares. No thanks.
Ironic you say that. Ballantynes best and worst game was at the MCG.

Worst game obviously was the 2013 GF.

Best game in his career was when freo beat Richmond Round 13 in 2014. Ballantyne kicked 6 that day.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back