Toast Round 11 = Collingwood 105-70 North Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

The only thing I wanted to touch on because it popped up twice on page 1 was who cares about being 3 wins and % ahead of 5th! The real battle for us in 2023 is avoiding Brisbane in Brisbane or Port in Adelaide in week 3 of the finals. To do that we’ll need top 2 because I can’t see any Victorian team getting ahead of them from here outside of us. As it stands unless Port slip I’d almost prefer to end the season in 2nd instead of 1st.
What am I missing here? Why would we not want to finish 1st on the ladder rather than 2nd?

What am I missing here? Why would we not want to finish 1st on the ladder rather than 2nd?
We’d play Melbourne as it stands. Avoiding a road trip in week 3 is the ultimate goal and I think week 1 v Port or Brisbane makes that box easier to tick than v Melbourne.

The only thing I wanted to touch on because it popped up twice on page 1 was who cares about being 3 wins and % ahead of 5th! The real battle for us in 2023 is avoiding Brisbane in Brisbane or Port in Adelaide in week 3 of the finals. To do that we’ll need top 2 because I can’t see any Victorian team getting ahead of them from here outside of us. As it stands unless Port slip I’d almost prefer to end the season in 2nd instead of 1st.
This.
The Bris loss was the best result.
A silver lining of interstaters staying Top 4 is more chance of home ground advantage if Pies hold top 2 & win week 1. Though I'm having flashbacks to 2002/3 with Coll, PA and Bris as top 3.

Port have a tough run home though with Freo away, Dogs at Marvel, Gee x 2, Ade and Pies. Could make or break them

1685329774472.png

I don’t have an issue with players taking the responsibility on themselves. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn’t. Equally though, when they don’t and pass it to a team mate, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn’t. There’s no guarantee either way.

I agree with you

But this particular incident with Jack was a clear example where he should have handballed off

Not the end of the world, just pointed it out because I thought of it after seeing a post talking about how selfless he was

Everyone on here obsessed with selecting some of those VFL boys can't be serious. We're challenging for a flag and they're just not up to it.
Ideally we’d have squad of 28-30 players with 2023 senior exposure heading into finals. While we’re probably a couple of backup mids short of that currently potentially we can rotate forwards or backs into the midfield mix. It’s why I didn’t mind seeing Markov and Hill given time on the wings yesterday.

Can't remember whether it was the first or third quarter (It was at my end of the ground, I was in the AFL members which is why it was either first or third).

He got the ball in the pocket, turned around to look at the goals, literally had 2 team mates only 5-10 metres away to give off a handball and despite having an opponent clearly in front of him, he still chose to try and do the miracle goal thing and burned two of his team mates.

Both looked incredibly disappointed (one being Jamie) and I think at least one let him know.

It was super obvious so I'm shocked more didn't notice.
I did see that mate. Was also in the AFL members area near the bench. He ran straight off the ground after that play and was pretty dirty on himself. You could see the disappointment in his face and he was even mouthing something to himself. Hopefully he learns and makes a more team orientated choice next time.

Potentially my favourite Collingwood team of all time, regardless of if they win the premiership or not.

Not sure I'd go that far, but we are very talented across the board, and very diverse in terms of player strengths and attributes. We barely have a weakness, and if someone has a quiet game its rarely two in a row. Also haven't heard any of our regular senior players called 'vanilla' this season - because none of them are!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interesting that Fly said in the presser… “we wont be managing anyone”

As he mentioned last week, the players get lots of time away from the club to rejuvenate themselves. After all they are professional footballers so it's their role to get up and play each week.

Dad's army in Geelong did it last year because they were old AF.

We’d play Melbourne as it stands. Avoiding a road trip in week 3 is the ultimate goal and I think week 1 v Port or Brisbane makes that box easier to tick than v Melbourne.

Not sure it matters?

We're beating anyone we play at the G in the first final

There is no road trip to avoid but we're going straight to the Prelim

I’ve never really bought into the Marvel hate but now I think about it, how many memorable moments happen there. Might be because all the tenants are s**t sandwich clubs.
2002 against the Lions in their prime. Roof on and we announced we were back. I reckon the loudest crowd i have ever heard at the footy.

North played well. Would not under estimate their effort. They would beat a few teams playing at that level.
I agree. I don't think that 9 goal gap we had reflected the state of the game at all. We had to work hard all day. It reminds you how tough this competition is.

Yes Buckley also loved "just get the win philosophy", whos to say that that behaviour pattern didnt creep into the 2018 GF when we were killing them after q1?

Also it didn't seem to hurt 2010 team, or 2000 bombers, or 01-03 Lions or 3 peat Hawks or Geelong or Richmond of recent.

All of them would bury you if they could.

I'm not a fan of going half hearted vs weak opposition and it often is what leads to injury aa players get caught in two minds on attacking the contest.

I'm actually happy mcrae has previously spoke on it tbh, shows he doesn't want them "cruising" vs anyone.

Richmond and Hawthorn barely got going until the 2nd half of the season in their premiership years.

This team has shown the capacity to rise to the occasion in big games over the past 18 months. Unless something goes drastically wrong, they'll continue to get it done when it counts over the course of this season as well.

Richmond and Hawthorn barely got going until the 2nd half of the season in their premiership years.

This team has shown the capacity to rise to the occasion in big games over the past 18 months. Unless something goes drastically wrong, they'll continue to get it done when it counts over the course of this season as well.

They both put some teams to the sword like vs Freo in 2017 Richmond won by 104 points.

I'm not talking about going undefeated, more putting the sword to the teams we should and not being complacent.

Ideally we’d have squad of 28-30 players with 2023 senior exposure heading into finals. While we’re probably a couple of backup mids short of that currently potentially we can rotate forwards or backs into the midfield mix. It’s why I didn’t mind seeing Markov and Hill given time on the wings yesterday.

Macrae, Carmichael and Allan probably need exposure at some point. Fly said he won't be managing boys so it'll be an interesting watch.

They both put some teams to the sword like vs Freo in 2017 Richmond won by 104 points.

I'm not talking about going undefeated, more putting the sword to the teams we should and not being complacent.

We've beaten Port who are 2nd by 12 goals. Giants who just knocked off the Cats by 10 goals.

The reality is that even if we belt a side by 15 goals it doesn't mean we go on to win a flag.

I'd much rather we get the job done against the big boys in the 2nd half of the season.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back