Preview Round 11: Essendon vs Carlton, MCG, Sunday 02/06/2019 @ 3.20PM

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ridley was **** in the VFL.

You know what? I don’t care.

That stuff counts when you’re making your debut or returning from a long layoff... but for fit, talented young players who have shown they can produce in the seniors, we should be getting senior games into them, not getting obsessed with last week’s VFL form.

The only time we’ve done this recently is when we were forced to in 2016. And lo and behold, we found some players.

You’ve gotta play your young kids for them to develop quickly. Skip the VFL bullshit and fast track them in the seniors.

That stuff counts when you’re making your debut or returning from a long layoff... but for fit, talented young players who have shown they can produce in the seniors, we should be getting senior games into them, not getting obsessed with last week’s VFL form.

The only time we’ve done this recently is when we were forced to in 2016. And lo and behold, we found some players.

You’ve gotta play your young kids for them to develop quickly. Skip the VFL ******** and fast track them in the seniors.

I remember Hardwick saying something along the lines of you need to play them or they become VFL level players. Obviously not true in all cases but it definitely has some merit.

You’ve gotta play your young kids for them to develop quickly. Skip the VFL ******** and fast track them in the seniors.

In 2016 we found Tippa who was 23 at the time. Parish was good but he’s still green and developing 3 years later. Not many 18-19 years olds play in top level pro leagues overseas. Most need a few pre seasons into then before they’re truly ready. Would be silly to just skip lower levels.

In 2016 we found Tippa who was 23 at the time. Parish was good but he’s still green and developing 3 years later. Not many 18-19 years olds play in top level pro leagues overseas. Most need a few pre seasons into then before they’re truly ready. Would be silly to just skip lower levels.

I’m not suggesting we skip lower levels, but when a player has shown good form at senior level - as Ridley has - with where we’re at, just get senior games into them and fast track their development.

God knows why Ridley isn’t playing.

What are we waiting for? I’ve got a newsflash for people, we’re not winning a flag this year and an extremely limited player like McNiece isn’t going to contribute to our next flag.

Play the young guys who’ve shown something, who have high ceilings and can inject some spark. Let’s get them on the road toward that ceiling now.

I’m not suggesting we skip lower levels, but when a player has shown good form at senior level - as Ridley has - with where we’re at, just get senior games into them and fast track their development.

God knows why Ridley isn’t playing.

What are we waiting for? I’ve got a newsflash for people, we’re not winning a flag this year and an extremely limited player like McNiece isn’t going to contribute to our next flag.

Play the young guys who’ve shown something, who have high ceilings and can inject some spark. Let’s get them on the road toward that ceiling now.

Agreed Ridley should be in over McNiece. Seriously McNiece is dead set mediocre at AFL level. Even his vaunted kicking goes to pieces at AFL level. Gets smothered with monotonous regularity which considering how few kicks he gets is some effort.

I think I understand the theory woosh is going for with Cripps now, it's kind of like string theory but easier.

Let him have all the ball he wants. I call it black hole theory.

Once he starts attracting the ball at will he will exhibit gravitational acceleration so strong that nothing—no handballs or even spillages can escape from him. The pressure inside the stoppage at this point will reach the event horizon where not even he can escape it, he is now singularity. Trapped in a black hole of his own making.

Fell straight into our trap.

Extend wooshs contract pls.

Importantly, how does this affect SuperCoach?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah, let's send them a message that it's okay to play s**t in the VFL and we'll play you in the AFL anyway. You want to play seniors? You earn the ******* recall.

Yeah, let's send them a message that it's okay to play **** in the VFL and we'll play you in the AFL anyway. You want to play seniors? You earn the ******* recall.

Yawn, messages. Let’s send the message that our young guns are our future and we want to build something big as quickly as possible, so we’re playing the ones who’ve shown something. Not dragging our dicks with the same conservative selection and old, ordinary footballers who’ve taken us nowhere for 15 years.

Yawn, messages. Let’s send the message that our young guns are our future and we want to build something big as quickly as possible, so we’re playing the ones who’ve shown something. Not dragging our dicks with the same conservative selection and old, ordinary footballers who’ve taken us nowhere for 15 years.
Yeah and then when these young players think they get a game despite having a s**t game in the level below we doom ourselves of the same fate. I wouldn't have dropped Ridley, but now that he's down there he needs to earn it.

Yeah, let's send them a message that it's okay to play **** in the VFL and we'll play you in the AFL anyway. You want to play seniors? You earn the ******* recall.
So what message do you send by keeping someone who had 4 disposals and 1 tackle? Mind you, this is after 10 disposals and 2 tackles against Fremantle. He hasn’t been great and isn’t a part of our future. I’d rather play Ridley because he has shown good form in AFL level this year. McNiece hasn’t.

So what message do you send by keeping someone who had 4 disposals and 1 tackle? Mind you, this is after 10 disposals and 2 tackles against Fremantle. He hasn’t been great and isn’t a part of our future. I’d rather play Ridley because he has shown good form in AFL level this year. McNiece hasn’t.
I'm not arguing McNiece. I would have dropped him, but for Long, who has good form behind him. You cannot reward a poor two's game with promotion into the one's. That is non-negotiable.

nice of the HUN to reenact the 99 prelim this week in a 2 page spread today

I nearly had a 2 page spread of bile follow it out

piss orf.
It amazes me how often this game is brought up like dogs vomit. I still prefer the '93 Premiership over a Prelim.

If there was a week to play the youth then Carlton is probably the team for it, I suppose.
tenor.gif

Yeah and then when these young players think they get a game despite having a **** game in the level below we doom ourselves of the same fate. I wouldn't have dropped Ridley, but now that he's down there he needs to earn it.

I reckon the whole “send the right message” thing through selection is bullshit. Players are human, they’re not dumb. They know what happened beyond last week. Ridley clearly played good footy in the seniors, that doesn’t suddenly mean nothing because he had a quiet game or two in the reserves.

He’s obviously capable and could be a big part of our future. Get games into him. If another player wants to sook about it, maybe they could go back to school footy and get equal time on the ground with everybody else.

Players aren’t treated equally and it’s ridiculous to suggest they should be. It’s not juniors.

The best thing for his development is to play senior footy. Hence it’s the best thing for the club. Same as Parish, Francis, Redman, Laverde and Begley. Just freaking play them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back