Preview Round 11: Gold Coast vs Essendon, Carrara, Wednesday 12/08/2020 @ 7:10 PM

Who won't lose?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Observations

Gold Coast: The Suns had a very tight loss to top 4 side St. Kilda, losing 4 of their last 5 games after a promising start to the season. Ben King was the standout forward for the Suns with three goals whilst Touk Miller had 18 touches and 2 goals in the midfield, alongside Brandon Ellis who had 23 disposals on a wing.

Essendon: When the Bombers kicked the first goal of the third they were 29 points up, but gave up 6 straight goals to lose the match against GWS. Zach Merrett was a feature in the middle with 33 touches and 6 clearances, whilst Kyle Langford was the only multiple goal scorer with 2 goals in the second quarter.

Head to Head (last 5)

Gold Coast 1-4 Essendon

Form Guide

Gold Coast: 1W 4L
Essendon: 2W 2L

Sportsbet odds

Gold Coast: $
Essendon: $
Line: .5 ($1.90)

Possible sides

Gold Coast vs Essendon

FB: Aaron Francis - Brandon Zerk-Thatcher - Adam Saad

FF: Izak Rankine - Ben King - Ben Ainsworth
HB: Martin Gleeson - Michael Hurley - Mason Redman
HF: Sam Flanders - Sam Day - Wil Powell
MF: Kyle Langford - Zachary Merrett - Kobe Mutch
MF: Lachie Weller - Hugh Greenwood - Brandon Ellis
HF: Devon Smith - James Stewart - Conor McKenna
HB: Jarrod Harbrow - Charlie Ballard - Jack Bowes
FF: Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti - Shaun McKernan - Josh Begley
FB: Connor Budarick - Sam Collins - Jack Lukosius
OB: Sam Draper - Darcy Parish - Dylan Shiel
OB: Jarrod Witts - David Swallow - Touk Miller
IC: Andrew McGrath - William Snelling - Matthew Guelfi - Mitchell Hibberd
IC: Jeremy Sharp - Noah Anderson - Sean Lemmens - Brayden Fiorini

Gold Coast in: Sam Flanders, Brayden Fiorini; Out: Nick Holman, Alex Sexton

Essendon in: Martin Gleeson, Mitchell Hibberd, Josh Begley, Kobe Mutch; Out: David Zaharakis (managed), Jacob Townsend (concussion), Jordan Ridley (ribs), Tom Cutler (omitted)

Gold Coast defence vs Essendon forward line

So far this season Essendon averaged 20.3% in terms of goals/inside 50, which has slipped to the bottom 6 of the AFL after starting off around the top 4. Gold Coast have been really good at not conceding a goal when it enters defensive 50, conceding a goal 20.5% of the time it enters, 4th overall in the AFL. Essendon will be hoping Shaun McKernan and James Stewart are able to consolidate their key position partnership this week, neither have really gotten going this year, the pair likely to be manned by the very impressive Sam Collins and Charlie Ballard respectively, whilst the last player standing with a 1 goal/game average in Anthony McDonld-Tipungwuti will likely get attention from Connor Budarick, one of the Rising Star contenders for 2020. Josh Begley may return to the side and would likely be manned up by Jack Lukosius.

Midfield/rucks battle

The midfield battle promises to be an interesting one with Gold Coast being 6th and 11th for clearance and contested possession differential whilst Essendon are 8th and 16th for those statistics respectively. The Bombers will be hoping that the possible inclusion of Mitchell Hibberd as a ball winning midfielder and Dylan Shiel will be able to improve these statistics but with an undersized midfield including Darcy Parish and Andrew McGrath it might be hard going for them against the likes of David Swallow, Touk Miller, Hugh Greenwood and possible inclusion Brayden Fiorini who are much bigger and stronger on the inside. Outside of the contest, Essendon's Kyle Langford and Tom Cutler will look to use their height against Gold Coast's outside midfielders in Brandon Ellis and Lachie Weller, their marking ability being a key point of difference for the Bombers so far in 2020 in their wins. Rucks wise, expect Jarrod Witts to beat the unfortunately cooked Tom Bellchambers, who is coming off a 12 day rest however.

Gold Coast forward line vs Essendon defence

The Suns have kicked a goal 20.7% of the time it enters their forward 50 so far this season, just outside the bottom 6 in the league. Essendon have been really good at restricting the opposition in this area, conceding a goal 21.9% of the time it enters defensive 50, 5th in the AFL. Ben King is the #1 key forward for the Suns, and will face fellow young key position player Brandon Zerk-Thatcher in a duel both clubs could be seeing for the next decade if the pair fulfill their potential, whilst the experienced crash and bash forward Sam Day is likely to get attention from Michael Hurley again. Izak Rankine has wowed everyone with his tricks so far this season, and will likely get an out of form Mason Redman to play on rather than the tricky Adam Saad, who will likely go to the industrious but still very talented Ben Ainsworth.

X-Factor Player

Izak Rankine. The guy's a freak, pure and simple. He could kick 5 goals if he lines up on the right player.

Key stat

Gold Coast: Clearances. They have a bigger bodied midfield group in comparison to Essendon and should win the centre battle.

Essendon: Defensive conversion. Really need to contain the talented but inconsistent Suns forward line with their impressive back 7

Tip

Oddly enough I think we'll win, Don by 17

JayJ20

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 28, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Will be a tough game. Gold Coast have too much class and firepower up forward. We need to generate some excitement. Who else can give us that but Mozzie!

Out: Zaharakis (I will say this every week), Townsend (injured), Cutler, Smith (managed)
IN: Mosquito, D Clarke, Hibberd, Ham

I'm really hoping Ridley is ok. Otherwise we're screwed.

Can someone explain to me why D Clarke couldn't have tagged one of Taranto, Coniglio or Whitfield when Shiel gets tagged every week? They just did whatever they liked to night, which is very poor coaching.

Halftimehero

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 26, 2012
AFL Club
Essendon
Do we play Draper here? Hard to see him playing against St Kilda if we do.

I had him as a rest pre game but then changed my mind. Still on the fence. Next two weeks can see Draper, Smith, Zaka, Stewart all getting rests. Had Towner on that list too but his concussion means he misses anyway

MiguelM

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 22, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Will be a tough game. Gold Coast have too much class and firepower up forward. We need to generate some excitement. Who else can give us that but Mozzie!

Out: Zaharakis (I will say this every week), Townsend (injured), Cutler, Smith (managed)
IN: Mosquito, D Clarke, Hibberd, Ham

I'm really hoping Ridley is ok. Otherwise we're screwed.

Can someone explain to me why D Clarke couldn't have tagged one of Taranto, Coniglio or Whitfield when Shiel gets tagged every week? They just did whatever they liked to night, which is very poor coaching.
The "we don't tag at Essendon" mantra out of touch IMO. Every other team has stoppers. They tagged Shiel out of the game tonight.

Midfields must look forward to playing us.

JayJ20

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 28, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
The "we don't tag at Essendon" mantra out of touch IMO. Every other team has stoppers. They tagged Shiel out of the game tonight.

Midfields must look forward to playing us.
It's getting old and tiresome when everyone else can see it. We're in trouble if this is Rutten is behind this. It's very embarrassing seeing Whitfield, Congilio and Taranto doing whatever they liked while Shiel is tagged out of the game.

RESTED Drapes Cutler Smith Mingma

Save Drapes for Ryder/Marshall. Cutler and Smith need a recharge and refocus.

INJURED Towny

DROPPED Zaka (one way runner) Irish (hothead)

IN Hibbo (inside mid)
Clarke (tagger)
Mozzy (might spark Tippa up too)
Ham (Fresh legs)
Flipper (v Witts)
Gleeson (spare parts)
Mutch/Begley (fresh legs)

Bombers36

Premiership Player
Jul 15, 2008
Keilor East
AFL Club
Essendon
Those calling for Zakka to be dropped haven't you learnt yet that he is untouchable..??

OUT: Smith, Cutler, Townsend, McKernan
IN: Hibberd, Clarke, Mosquito, Phillips

Team;-

Zerk Hurley Francis
Redman Ridley Saad
Parish Shiel McGrath
McKenna Langford Tippa
Stewart Draper Mosquito

Phillips Clarke Merrett

Bench: Hibberd Snelling Guelfi Zakka

Big call to be made. You would think he may need a rest but if he pulls up okay then is it worth the risk ?

Halftimehero

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 26, 2012
AFL Club
Essendon
I know Begley is trying to be transformed into a mid but do they bring him into Townsend’s role?

Halftimehero

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 26, 2012
AFL Club
Essendon
Big call to be made. You would think he may need a rest but if he pulls up okay then is it worth the risk ?

Possibly is worth the risk as we are probably more a chance of wining this game the beating St Kilda, would hate to see him ping a hammy though and miss multiple weeks.

I know Begley is trying to be transformed into a mid but do they bring him into Townsend’s role?
Well his form previously would let him play it well :p

I'd take the risk. Or even play on a wing.

Bombers36

Premiership Player
Jul 15, 2008
Keilor East
AFL Club
Essendon

I thought Draper was great - and looked pretty decent up forward as well. I'd bring Phillips in to do most of the ruck duties and play Draper in a key forward/back up ruck role - like what Mckernan does. I just think Draper might be able to do it better than SMACK

I thought Draper was great - and looked pretty decent up forward as well. I'd bring Phillips in to do most of the ruck duties and play Draper as a key froward/back up ruck
No thanks.

I thought Draper was great - and looked pretty decent up forward as well. I'd bring Phillips in to do most of the ruck duties and play Draper in a key forward/back up ruck role - like what Mckernan does. I just think Draper might be able to do it better than SMACK
Do not mind it.

One poor game and he is a leper ?
Let's be honest he had one okay game (where his direct opponent was still the opposition's best player) and two poor ones. The guy isn't a good player, and he just turned 29. There's a reason he's played 44 games in 8 and a half years of being on an AFL list and as soon as Bellchambers had any semblance of touch Phillips was dumped, despite the fact Bellchambers is more cooked than a well done steak.

Let's be honest he had one okay game (where his direct opponent was still the opposition's best player) and two poor ones. The guy isn't a good player, and he just turned 29. There's a reason he's played 44 games in 8 and a half years of being on an AFL list and as soon as Bellchambers had any semblance of touch Phillips was dumped, despite the fact Bellchambers is more cooked than a well done steak.

No Eth he had two games where he was beaten but not disgraced against two of the best rucks in the game. The reason he has played 44 games in 8 years is he has had a lot of injuries. Simple. He is not a star but he is not as bad as people are making him out to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back