Preview Round 11: Gold Coast vs Essendon, Carrara, Wednesday 12/08/2020 @ 7:10 PM

Who won't lose?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
No Eth he had two games where he was beaten but not disgraced against two of the best rucks in the game. The reason he has played 44 games in 8 years is he has had a lot of injuries. Simple. He is not a star but he is not as bad as people are making him out to be.
He had 4 touches against Goldstein. He was poor that night and as I said in the Adelaide thread if Bellchambers had the game Phillips had against English there would be rioting.

Last year he played 18 games of AFL and VFL combined
2018 he seemingly didn't play VFL according to the website but I don't trust the VFL website and I can remember seeing him play that year.
2017 a dozen games over the two which indicates maybe 6 weeks of injuries given neither made finals
2016 he had 18 games combined

He's played the vast majority of games at either level for 2 of the 4 years he was at Carlton. If he were any good he would have cracked the 10 game mark more than once in his career.

EDIT: sorry, was looking at the wrong year on footywire for 2017. He had 8 games across the two, so yeah it looks like he was injured most of that year.

Last edited:
He had 4 touches against Goldstein. He was poor that night and as I said in the Adelaide thread if Bellchambers had the game Phillips had against English there would be rioting.

Last year he played 18 games of AFL and VFL combined
2018 he seemingly didn't play VFL according to the website but I don't trust the VFL website and I can remember seeing him play that year.
2017 a dozen games over the two which indicates maybe 6 weeks of injuries given neither made finals
2016 he had 18 games combined

He's played the vast majority of games at either level for 2 of the 4 years he was at Carlton. If he were any good he would have cracked the 10 game mark more than once in his career.

EDIT: sorry, was looking at the wrong year on footywire for 2017. He had 8 games across the two, so yeah it looks like he was injured most of that year.

1.He has had injuries.
2. I said he played two reasonable games. He matched Goldstein for the hit outs and we won the midfield battle and the game.
3. Never said he was anything but an average player.
4. Even his 4 possession game was better than Bellchambers as he put some physical pressure on and had 4 tackles. He jumped into Goldy all night.
5. He did play VFL in 2018 but did miss some footy through injury.

Last edited:

MiguelM

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 22, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
No Eth he had two games where he was beaten but not disgraced against two of the best rucks in the game. The reason he has played 44 games in 8 years is he has had a lot of injuries. Simple. He is not a star but he is not as bad as people are making him out to be.
And a better option than McKernan in the ruck. McKernan is too small and compensates by holding out his opponent, which leads to too many holding frees. He doesn't disquise it very well.

IggypopsTshirt

Cancelled
Jun 27, 2013
AFL Club
Essendon
This game could well be the straw that breaks the camels back. I’ve liked (most of) our changes in the last few weeks, but we simply don’t have the cattle or ability to be consistently competitive. GC by 8 goals and our descent to the bottom four to really gain some pace.

Out: Townsend (in) Ridley (ribs)
In: Hibberd, D.Clarke

Francis Hurley Saad
Guelfi BZT Redman
Cutler Hibberd Zaharakis
Snelling Stewart Langford
AMT McKernan Merrett

Draper McGrath Shiel

Smith, McKenna, Clark, Parish

Cutler was bad vs GWS but I guess we need to persist with him as a winger.
Forwardline was terrible Langford only one who looked OK there. It's a shame he's scared of getting hurt.
I'm not sure I understand Snelling's role in the team. I think it is to start forward, then charge into the middle and fumble the ball.

Midfielders of; McGrath, Shiel, Parish, Clarke, Hibbo, Merrett. It's an area that at least we can put some improvement into (I've given up on the forward line).

CBombers17

Premium Platinum
Jul 7, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
This game could well be the straw that breaks the camels back. I’ve liked (most of) our changes in the last few weeks, but we simply don’t have the cattle or ability to be consistently competitive. GC by 8 goals and our descent to the bottom four to really gain some pace.
Ah yes, the wilderness years. Where you'd like to think you only need to make about 5 changes to make it - but when you look back it was actually 15.

OsteitisPubis22

Senior List
Mar 18, 2019
AFL Club
Essendon
The forward structure just isn’t working.

Blame personal as much as you want, we laid 4 tackles inside 50, that’s an effort thing!
Dan Jordan has done a very ordinary job with the forward group.

Press reset and pick 6-7 forwards that are gonna lay 20 odd tackles inside 50 every week. Or at least are capable of kicking 10 goals every game.

Fwd line outs: Stewart, Mckernan, McKenna, Zaharakis, Townsend

Ins: Big Crauford, has kicked 12 in 3 games in the scratch matches, can play 20% of game time in the Ruck, he gives plenty around the ground, he just competes.

Mossie: we need to see if he is up to it. We know he brings the pressure and can play multiple positions, nothing to lose by giving him a few games, just like we did with Cahill.

Gown: has been injury riddled but has put some good form together, strong hands and and good kick for goal.

Langford: he is a Forward - nothing more to it!

Walla: good to pinch hit in the guts for a few minutes a quarter but he is a goal scorer, and pressure machine!

Smith: I get why he has played in the middle over the past few weeks, but we need his pressure going forward.

Then you have your mids roll through, parish, Merrett etc.

I’m inclined to persist with Stewart.

What do we reckon?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Last edited:

Halftimehero

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 26, 2012
AFL Club
Essendon
The forward structure just isn’t working.

Blame personal as much as you want, we laid 4 tackles inside 50, that’s an effort thing!
Dan Jordan has done a very ordinary job with the forward group.

Press reset and pick 6-7 forwards that are gonna lay 20 odd tackles inside 50 every week. Or at least are capable of kicking 10 goals every game.

Fwd line outs: Stewart, Mckernan, McKenna, Zaharakis, Townsend

Ins: Big Crauford, has kicked 12 in 3 games in the scratch matches, can play 20% of game time in the Ruck, he gives plenty around the ground, he just competes.

Mossie: we need to see if he is up to it. We know he brings the pressure and can play multiple positions, nothing to lose by giving him a few games, just like we did with Cahill.

Gown: has been injury riddled but has put some good form together, strong hands and and good kick for goal.

Langford: he is a Forward - nothing more to it!

Walla: good to pinch hit in the guts for a few minutes a quarter but he is a goal scorer, and pressure machine!

Smith: I get why he has played in the middle over the past few weeks, but we need his pressure going forward.

Then you have your mids roll through, parish, Merrett etc.

I’m inclined to persist with Stewart.

What do we reckon?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

You wanna debut 3 blokes in the same game and play them all in the forward line together?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What does it even matter anymore
Actually it doesn't but I do not want to see him burned by backing up either. He is the player we need to get to the end of the season in good shape and having played a few more game.

Jun 11, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Bayern, Milan, Boston Celtics
Out: Townsend (in) Ridley (ribs)
In: Hibberd, D.Clarke

Francis Hurley Saad
Guelfi BZT Redman
Cutler Hibberd Zaharakis
Snelling Stewart Langford
AMT McKernan Merrett

Draper McGrath Shiel

Smith, McKenna, Clark, Parish

Cutler was bad vs GWS but I guess we need to persist with him as a winger.
Forwardline was terrible Langford only one who looked OK there. It's a shame he's scared of getting hurt.
I'm not sure I understand Snelling's role in the team. I think it is to start forward, then charge into the middle and fumble the ball.

Midfielders of; McGrath, Shiel, Parish, Clarke, Hibbo, Merrett. It's an area that at least we can put some improvement into (I've given up on the forward line).
Until laverde is back, langford needs to play forward. And until langford/fantasia can rotate a wing/hff position, cutler needs to stay in.

Good balanced middle.
I think we're a shot in this game.

Wont surprise me to see gleeson in for ridley though.

Until laverde is back, langford needs to play forward. And until langford/fantasia can rotate a wing/hff position, cutler needs to stay in.

Good balanced middle.

In a role based system I agree Gleeson is a more likely replacement. I was also thinking McKenna back again with Francis to play more of the intercepting role.

Apr 11, 2002
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Iggles, Georgia.

Good balanced middle.

Until Langford retires, he needs to play forward (majority of the time).

Wing/hff for me.
Balance his goalscoring and inside 50 impact.
I like what he offers up the ground and around HB as well as his forward presence.
The Langford forward crew refuse to believe he has an impact up the ground.

CBombers17

Premium Platinum
Jul 7, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
If the Harding article is anything to go by we can probably forget about seeing Clarke or Hibberd i reckon (outside of maybe on Hibberd on a wing as lore mentioned elsewhere).

I think it also explains why Zaka continues to be selected and also why we saw Cahill get midfield minutes almost immediately (and why we see Tippa and Smith in there all the time etc).

This is the Rutton plan and philosophy it seems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back