Preview Round 11: Gold Coast vs Essendon, Carrara, Wednesday 12/08/2020 @ 7:10 PM

Who won't lose?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
If the Harding article is anything to go by we can probably forget about seeing Clarke or Hibberd i reckon (outside of maybe on Hibberd on a wing as lore mentioned elsewhere).

I think it also explains why Zaka continues to be selected and also why we saw Cahill get midfield minutes almost immediately (and why we see Tippa and Smith in there all the time etc).

This is the Rutton plan and philosophy it seems.
Wouldn't be so sure, Clarke has been an emergency plenty lately, he's contracted for next year, and with a condensed fixture he should have opportunity. Stringer was used inside before he hurt his ankle so there's room for a bigger inside mid, but they have to be able to do more than just attend stoppages as we can't just bench him in between. Needs to be more versatile.

CBombers17

Premium Platinum
Jul 7, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Wouldn't be so sure, Clarke has been an emergency plenty lately, he's contracted for next year, and with a condensed fixture he should have opportunity. Stringer was used inside before he hurt his ankle so there's room for a bigger inside mid, but they have to be able to do more than just attend stoppages as we can't just bench him in between. Needs to be more versatile.
If Stringer is the big body argument he attends centre bounces at the start of quarters and then is our best forward. What else is Clarke going to do if he's not being a defensively minded inside mid?

Sure, he might get a game, but contracted or not can you see a future for him under in the current game plan?

As for Hibberd, i think he sat on a wing because they don't want him playing as an inside mid. Apart from a theory about getting him up to AFL speed (which i offered here) it's hard to see it any other way isn't it?

Last edited:

OsteitisPubis22

Senior List
Mar 18, 2019
AFL Club
Essendon
You wanna debut 3 blokes in the same game and play them all in the forward line together?

Potentially, I’m sure there are more opportunities around the ground, I see your point about gown and Crauford, maybe one misses out. Doesn’t have to be just this week can roll them out over 2-3 games

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

If Stringer is the big body argument he attends centre bounces at the start of quarters and then is our best forward. What else is Clarke going to do if he's not being a defensively minded inside mid?

Sure, he might get a game but contracted or not can you see a future for him under in the current game plan?
I was responding to your comment about forgetting seeing him in the future. I think we will see him, because as I've mentioned there are outward indications from the club that both the coaches and the list manager have faith in him, and that indicate he's on the fringe. It's the same MO they've used with Parish and Langford, and are currently also using on Guelfi.

I don't know what role we'll see him playing. Last year he came in when Smith had surgery on his knee, and he came out when Ham debuted on the wing. He's rather further from that spot now than he was a year ago, with Smith back, Ham coming on, Cutler and Hibberd seemingly ahead of him. I highly doubt we'll be selecting him as a tagger on a week-to-week basis, and he can't just stand in the centre circle waiting for the next bounce so he'd have to get better with his marking, kicking, running bounces, something to force his way into the side, perhaps at the expense of e.g. Zaharakis. Otherwise, he's going to need probably two others to be injured or suspended to make enough room in the midfield for him.

Apr 23, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Hopefully some good changes this week, a bit of a chance for guys like Clarke / Hibberd / Begley to shoulder some midfield minutes off the short break.

Would be cautious with Draper, unless he's 100% I'd spell him and bring him back for St Kilda, no point running him in to the ground.

Bombers36

Premiership Player
Jul 15, 2008
Keilor East
AFL Club
Essendon
I dont think this season is a complete right off just yet. We are only half a game out of the 8 and have played a game less than all of the teams in it.
We play GCoast then Saint Kilda - both beatable, then have a 6 day break against the Tigers who will prove tougher opposition but should have Hooker & Fanta back by then. A win against the Suns on Wednesday night and we are back in finals contention!

Nov 28, 2006
AFL Club
Essendon
I dont think this season is a complete right off just yet. We are only half a game out of the 8 and have played a game less than all of the team in it.
We play GCoast then Saint Kilda - both beatable, then have a 6 day break against the Tigers who will prove tougher opposition but should have Hooker & Fanta back by then. A win against the Suns on Wednesday night and we are back in finals contention!
Does it matter if we make the finals? We're just treading water until some major list changes occur.

I dont think this season is a complete right off just yet. We are only half a game out of the 8 and have played a game less than all of the team in it.
Our last 6 games are Richmond, who we don't beat, Port, who are top, Melbourne, who will destroy us around the ball, West Coast, who are the best team in it IMO, Geelong, who are better than us and Hawthorne, who we should beat.

Lose and we're cooked

JayJ20

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 28, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
I dont think this season is a complete right off just yet. We are only half a game out of the 8 and have played a game less than all of the teams in it.
Such optimism eth!
Unfortunately he's right. We have 5 wins. We need to win 5 more games because our percentage is so poor. Hawthorn and Melbourne are the only other teams out of the 8 left after Gold Coast. Melbourne seem to have hit their straps. Knowing Clarkson, Hawthorn will get their act together soon.

If we win vs Gold Coast (which isn't a given at all), then we still have to beat 4 of St Kilda and the others he mentioned. We aren't getting any of our injured players back for at least the next 2-4 games if that. We can guarantee Richmond and West Coast in Perth as a loss. If we even manage to beat Gold Coast, Melbourne and Hawthorn which is going to be difficult, which 2 of Geelong, Port, St Kilda are we going to beat? Mind you we're playing St Kilda off a 4 day break while they'll play off a 6 day break.

Lose to Gold Coast and we're officially done.

Sep 22, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Unfortunately he's right. We have 5 wins. We need to win 5 more games because our percentage is so poor. Hawthorn and Melbourne are the only other teams out of the 8 left after Gold Coast. Melbourne seem to have hit their straps. Knowing Clarkson, Hawthorn will get their act together soon.

If we win vs Gold Coast (which isn't a given at all), then we still have to beat 4 of St Kilda and the others he mentioned. We aren't getting any of our injured players back for at least the next 2-4 games if that. We can guarantee Richmond and West Coast in Perth as a loss. If we even manage to beat Gold Coast, Melbourne and Hawthorn which is going to be difficult, which 2 of Geelong, Port, St Kilda are we going to beat? Mind you we're playing St Kilda off a 4 day break while they'll play off a 6 day break.

Lose to Gold Coast and we're officially done.

I don’t see how we’re going to beat Gold Coast honestly. With what forward line?

What frustrates me, if the compressed fixture. Screws us for the GC and Saints game. Will get more players back from Richmond onwards. By that time, probably too late.

Jul 16, 2013
AFL Club
Essendon
Woosha during his press conference asking for patience on the team implementing a new game plan. Saying they haven’t had time to lock it in yet.

How many years have we been trying to lock in and learn a new game plan?! Getting to be a bit of a joke at the moment.

I actually believe it more this year though due to Rutten taking over.

I have no doubt Rutten will be saying the same things next year though.

Jul 16, 2013
AFL Club
Essendon
Trying to work out how to drop is hard due to the fact that there is nobody really to come in either...

Out: Townsend (inj), McKenna (Omit- 50m penalty) and Stewart (omit)

In: Gown, Mozzie and Mutch

*Stewart has been as useless as two **** on a bull, He is not taking marks and not really bringing the ball to ground well so might as well go shorter again and just scrubber the ball in.

*McKenna needs a punishment for that 50m brainfart. (not to mention letting Heath Shaw kick two goals on him from back pocket.

*Townsend injury saves him from being omitted anyway as has been useless.

Let the kids have a go against some other kids.

Season cooked anyway due to injuries.

CBombers17

Premium Platinum
Jul 7, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Woosha during his press conference asking for patience on the team implementing a new game plan. Saying they haven’t had time to lock it in yet.

How many years have we been trying to lock in and learn a new game plan?! Getting to be a bit of a joke at the moment.
Many are looking to see traction with the team defense. Seems to go ok against poor sides and falls apart against the better sides. To me that means we actually already get it but we can only carry it out under certain circumstances. Circumstances that we don't control.

Based on our first half last week I'd say this will be very close. However if that first half outcome was because GWS were flat and down manpower then we lose this comfortably.

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Many are looking to see traction with the team defense. Seems to go ok against poor sides and falls apart against the better sides. To me that means we actually already get it but we can only carry it out under certain circumstances. Circumstances that we don't control.

Based on our first half last week I'd say this will be very close. However if that first half outcome was because GWS were flat and down manpower then we lose this comfortably.
It definitely has something to do with it. Apparently Cogs gave one of the all time best ht speech’s last week, calling out all the players for being selfish and soft. No wonder they lifted in the 2nd half. Would’ve loved to see what the fox footy pressure gauge was for gws in the first half, could’ve been an all time low record.

Fridge16

All Australian
Sep 12, 2017
AFL Club
Essendon
I'm back at the stage where I'm starting to question whether a loss is better than a win for future prospects. Dejavu

Jun 11, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Bayern, Milan, Boston Celtics
Our last 6 games are Richmond, who we don't beat, Port, who are top, Melbourne, who will destroy us around the ball, West Coast, who are the best team in it IMO, Geelong, who are better than us and Hawthorne, who we should beat.

Lose and we're cooked
i think we're cooked even with a win. And let's be honest, GCS have always pushed us and they're much better this year.

The injury curse to our forward line has written the season off

I'm all for the learnings from here on out. trial players, positions, manage fatigue & injuries.
Get Daniher signed up :p

Jul 23, 2018
AFL Club
Essendon
It definitely has something to do with it. Apparently Cogs gave one of the all time best ht speech’s last week, calling out all the players for being selfish and soft. No wonder they lifted in the 2nd half. Would’ve loved to see what the fox footy pressure gauge was for gws in the first half, could’ve been an all time low record.
We took our chances in the 2nd qtr to build the lead and then we botched most crucial moments in the 2nd half when given the oppurtunity to put them away. GWS were better in the 2nd half but the loss is down to our famous basic skill errors and poor decision making at crucial moments. We had way too many chances to put them away and we couldnt handle it.

We took our chances in the 2nd qtr to build the lead and then we botched most crucial moments in the 2nd half when given the oppurtunity to put them away. GWS were better in the 2nd half but the loss is down to our famous basic skill errors and poor decision making at crucial moments. We had way too many chances to put them away and we couldnt handle it.
A different team mind set is required to maintain a big lead. We don't have much experience of this. In some ways its easier to come from behind, something we do have experience of than stay in front all game. So it's not bluff when coaches say they're working on this game plan. It's a different game plan to stay calm, maintain the lead and not allow a better team back into the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back